Caviar black 32mb vs caviar green 64mb

julienlarivee

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
Hi
i got a Seagate 320Gb, SATA300, 7200.10 RPM, 16Mb cache almost 4 year ago.

I would like to know if i will notice the difference in speed if I switch to a western digital 1to caviar black 32mb or western digital 1to caviar green 64mb?

Besides that I found that caviar black is way better than caviar green but the caviar green is 64mb instead or 32mb. wich one is the fastest?

Solution
> so whats your telling me is that it doesnt worth the price to change for the caviar black cause the increase is tiny

If you upgrade to a WD black from your old drive then the transfer rates will probably be a fair bit faster, but the access times likely won't be a whole lot different.
The 1TB drive will have a faster transfer rate than the 320GB, but the larger cache size isn't the reason. It'll be because each track contains more data - so at a spin rate of 120 times per second (7200rpm/60=120rps) more data goes by the read/write heads every second.

The access times between a new drive and your older drive won't be all that much different, except that the same amount of data will fit into fewer tracks so that the head will move less (assuming you don't put more data on the drive).

Regarding the 1TB green vs. black - the green drive will have slower average access times and transfer rates because of the slower RPM.

steve9207

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2009
What are you using the drive for? Movies/Music, Gaming, OS/Programs, etc... (knowing that might help point you to a good solution) And are you experiencing hang-ups today or are you just looking for something faster?

Steve

> so whats your telling me is that it doesnt worth the price to change for the caviar black cause the increase is tiny

If you upgrade to a WD black from your old drive then the transfer rates will probably be a fair bit faster, but the access times likely won't be a whole lot different.

Solution

julienlarivee

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010

Im doing movies, music, gaming, internet, programming... and im just loocking for somthing faster..
Maybe the best thing would be to get a ssd but they are costly for their size :(

julienlarivee

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010

ok thanks. I think i will stick with my old hdd and wait for ssd to get bigger and at lower price

aus10

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010

i just built a computer with the caviar black and i do alot of music and gaming im very happy with it. My builder has the green and we were transfering files from it to my computer it was slower but we were using usb to. i would recommend the black.

TRENDING THREADS