A couple of general statements before I tear into these folks.

1. Any poster is permitted to call me an idiot for upgrading
2. The folks CB USA are a great bunch of people -- this post is not directed
at them or at Steve Lopez
3. I am using a 3 year old computer with lots of memory running Windows XP

Where do I begin?

For some weird reason I just "upgraded" to ChessBase 9. I was sick of the
old look and feel and thought the new features, meager as they are, would be
worth the money.

There are no instructions on how to install so I assumed the install
function would take care of things. First time around the program seemed to
accept the registration number but when I tried using it it simply didn't
work. So I uninstalled CB8, restarted my computer and tried running CB9
again. Same thing. "THIS PROGRAM IS NOT RESPONDING."

(By the way, there are no installation instructions whatsoever for any CB
programs, including their phenomenal Mr. Kasparov instructional CD. You
know, something like "Start CB Light, click on the XXX icon...").

So I uninstalled and re-installed again. In typical CB fashion even the
uninstall process was a pain in the ass. I had to sit here for 15 minutes
while the program uninstalled every goddamned file in all the CB folders
individually instead of doing that only for registry and program files and
simply dumping everything else.

After re-installation the program again seemed to accept the registration
code though I'm not 100% sure because no screen came up, as with previous
versions, saying the # had been accepted. The online registration was a
joke -- I had to enter those 25 numbers and letters again. Evidently there
is no way to send in a script that supplies the registration server with my
information. And when all is said and done, I have no confirmation that I'm
registered (all I get is a message that the page has been sent).

I tried the "upgrade" function as well but all I got was an undecipherable
screen asking for my user name and password. To all you geniuses at CB: What
is that all about? Which USERNAME and PASSWORD? What exactly am I upgrading?

Anyway the program is essentially non-functional. Every time I try to do
something with it the goddamned thing freezes (and takes over my hard drive
as well). Since I use my database several times a week I would like to
re-install CB 8 so I will have a functioning database but I've misplaced my
registration number, so I guess I'm out of luck. I'd use Shredder as my
database but unfortunately every eighth or ninth time I try to save a file
it goes through 20 minutes of gyrations that freeze my computer and don't
allow normal exiting from programs or restarting. One such time I had to
unplug my computer, with the result that all my email folders disappeared.

I should have learned my lesson with CB8, which didn't work under Windows
XP, an operating system that was on the market for at least a year before
CB8 was released.

I have never had anywhere near as much trouble installing and running
Windows programs as I do with CB. In fact I cannot think of another program
I've tried over the past 3-4 years that did not work as advertised.

I've wasted hours and hours trying to get CB to work.

I'd like to propose a radical idea to the CB programming team: IT IS YOUR
JOB, NOT MINE, TO GET YOUR PROGRAMS TO WORK!!!

If any of you have had similar experiences and have fixed the problems
please let me know.

Angelo DePalma

On Mon, 4 Apr 2005 00:40:13 -0400, "Angelo De Pa1ma"
<adpspammersgotohell@tellurian.net> wrote:

>A couple of general statements before I tear into these folks.
>
>1. Any poster is permitted to call me an idiot for upgrading
>2. The folks CB USA are a great bunch of people -- this post is not directed
>at them or at Steve Lopez
>3. I am using a 3 year old computer with lots of memory running Windows XP
>
>Where do I begin?
>
>For some weird reason I just "upgraded" to ChessBase 9. I was sick of the
>old look and feel and thought the new features, meager as they are, would be
>worth the money.
>
>There are no instructions on how to install so I assumed the install
>function would take care of things. First time around the program seemed to
>accept the registration number but when I tried using it it simply didn't
>work. So I uninstalled CB8, restarted my computer and tried running CB9
>again. Same thing. "THIS PROGRAM IS NOT RESPONDING."

I recently installed the CB9 upgrade version as well, both on
my desktop and my laptop. First of all, although I am not absolutely
certain of this, I think there is a difference between the upgrade
version and the full version. When installing the upgrade version, you
need to leave CB8 on your computer or CB9 will not work. The reason
they give you a lower price for the upgrade version is that you
already have a paid version of CB8, which the CB9 installer looks for.
If I am right about this, all of your subsequent difficulties may be
related to it.

[snip]

>I tried the "upgrade" function as well but all I got was an undecipherable
>screen asking for my user name and password. To all you geniuses at CB: What
>is that all about? Which USERNAME and PASSWORD? What exactly am I upgrading?

From reading this newsgroup and other bulletin boards, I knew
that there might be problems with CB9 without the upgrade patch. After
I installed CB9 on my laptop, I played around with it for a few
minutes and, sure enough, it froze. So I applied the upgrade patch.

I also knew in advance about the problems with the Playchess
site but fortunately I subscribe to CB magazine, so I used the upgrade
file from the most recent issue. After applying the patch, I had no
further problems with CB9. It has run perfectly for a week now.

As for the Playchess site, there is a definite problem. I have
been completely unable to set up an account there. When I click the
CB9 button to connect there, one of two things happens:
1. If I click "create new account", after a wait of a few minutes I
get the message that the server has timed out.
2. If I click "connect as guest" I do connect and can play but only
with guest privileges. If I log on as a guest and then try the "enter
registration number" command, it says the number is invalid.

If CB insists on forcing people through the Playchess site to
get upgrade patches, they ought to make it simple and foolproof to
create an account. Without my CB Mag subscription, I'd have been in
nearly the same situation as you are in. However, I left CB8 on both
my machines and it still works fine.

I think the only way out for you is to find that registration
number so that you can re-install CB8, after which you can install
CB9. If you get that far, maybe I can e-mail you the set-up file for
the upgrade patch.

-- Hal Terrie

ceebee

"Angelo De Pa1ma" <adpspammersgotohell@tellurian.net> wrote in
rec.games.chess.computer:

> After re-installation the program again seemed to accept the
> registration code though I'm not 100% sure because no screen
> came up, as with previous versions, saying the # had been
> accepted. The online registration was a joke -- I had to enter
> those 25 numbers and letters again. Evidently there is no way to
> send in a script that supplies the registration server with my
> information. And when all is said and done, I have no
> confirmation that I'm registered (all I get is a message that
> the page has been sent).
>
> I tried the "upgrade" function as well but all I got was an
> undecipherable screen asking for my user name and password. To
> all you geniuses at CB: What is that all about? Which USERNAME
> and PASSWORD? What exactly am I upgrading?

The update feature goes through the Playchess server. You have to
have an account before being able to register or update. You can
find all details in the CB help files as well.

Do you have an account on the Playchess server? If no, create one:
choose "create new account". You'll be guided through the
registration procedure, after which you can login to the Playchess
server.
Then go to help > enter serial number and enter the supplied number.

After that go to help > query upgrade. You'll be offered Upgrade
version 6.

> I should have learned my lesson with CB8, which didn't work
> under Windows XP, an operating system that was on the market for
> at least a year before CB8 was released.

It is very common for people to be mad about local problems they
encounter with software on their PC's. It can drive you mad.
But it's also very common for people to make the mistake that the
problems they encounter locally are generally shared by everyone.

CB8 has always worked without problems on all my PC's and laptops.
At least I never had more problems with it than with an average
other Windows application.
If your statement were true, I should have experienced problems with
CB8 under XP as well, and I didn't.

_CB9_ was initially released with some unattended bugs indeed. This
might be mostly due to market expectations. If ChessBase puts CB8 on
the market, within a year people here start shouting that "ChessBase
makes an ass out of itself by waiting so long with a next version".
There seems to be a reason why patience for all is a better option.

My copy of CB9 is running flawless - both on my desktop PC and on my
old laptop. There's nothing seriously wrong with it. You just have
to sort out some local problems.

--
CeeBee

"Eppur si muove!"

I have news for you CeeBee. CB8 was sold with *full knowledge* that it did
not work under Windows XP. That's right, the geniuses at CB GmbH knew this
but sold the program anyway. They then apologized and released a patch to
fix the obvious compatibility problems which they didn't have the decency to
test before releasing the program. So if your version worked "flawless" it
most likely was the version that was fixed.

Plus ChessBase has a long history of not supporting their products as is
their responsibility. Were it not for Steve Lopez their support would be
close to ZERO.

These are not $10.99 throw-away programs. CB costs hundreds of dollars.

The company doesn't even have the thoughtfulness to include a fact sheet
with their product explaining the new features. I'm beginning to think there
are none. I got the media center stuff with the free version of CB Light.

ChessBase needs to step up and act like the number one chess software
company they claim to be.

"CeeBee" <ceebeechester@start.com.au> wrote in message
> [...]
>
> My copy of CB9 is running flawless - both on my desktop PC and on my
> old laptop. There's nothing seriously wrong with it. You just have
> to sort out some local problems.
>
> --
> CeeBee
>
> "Eppur si muove!"

ceebee

"Angelo De Pa1ma" <adpspammersgotohell@tellurian.net> wrote in
rec.games.chess.computer:

> I have news for you CeeBee. CB8 was sold with *full knowledge*
> that it did not work under Windows XP. That's right, the
> geniuses at CB GmbH knew this but sold the program anyway. They
> then apologized and released a patch to fix the obvious
> compatibility problems which they didn't have the decency to
> test before releasing the program. So if your version worked
> "flawless" it most likely was the version that was fixed.

No it wasn't, it was the very first version. Even the Beta version
of CB8 I tested worked well. But that's not going to help you.

Did you follow my direction and get your CB9 version fixed as well?

Do you have an account on Playchess.com? Can or can't you login to
donwload the latetst CB9 patch?

What do you exactly want? Help to get your software working or just
a random rant about some piece of software that almost everybody but
you can get to run on their systems?

--
CeeBee

"Eppur si muove!"

Whatever the chronology, I was not the first person on earth to purchase
Windows XP. By the time I purchased CB8 the company had plenty of time to
provide a version for XP. It should have informed its customers as well that
there were potential problems (I was not the only person who had them).

As for this current problem, I tried logging onto the update site already
and it said my version is up to date. So it looked as if my problem would
not be solved through any download.

Then after reading Hal's post, I saw that perhaps I did not have the most
recent update so I logged in and found the "update query" tab. How was I
supposed to know that was there? Now according to CB my program is 3
versions old. So I updated. I will see if this helps.

By the way, I should not have to read about this in a newsgroup post by
somebody who does not work for ChessBase.

CHESSBASE SHOULD INFORM ITS CUSTOMERS OF THE UPDATE AND HOW TO DO IT.

A table of contents for the disk would also be nice.

Thanks, Hal.

And thanks to all.

> "Angelo De Pa1ma" <adpspammersgotohell@tellurian.net> wrote in
> rec.games.chess.computer:
>
>> I have news for you CeeBee. CB8 was sold with *full knowledge*
>> that it did not work under Windows XP. That's right, the
>> geniuses at CB GmbH knew this but sold the program anyway. They
>> then apologized and released a patch to fix the obvious
>> compatibility problems which they didn't have the decency to
>> test before releasing the program. So if your version worked
>> "flawless" it most likely was the version that was fixed.
>
> No it wasn't, it was the very first version. Even the Beta version
> of CB8 I tested worked well. But that's not going to help you.
>
> Did you follow my direction and get your CB9 version fixed as well?
>
> Do you have an account on Playchess.com? Can or can't you login to
> donwload the latetst CB9 patch?
>
> What do you exactly want? Help to get your software working or just
> a random rant about some piece of software that almost everybody but
> you can get to run on their systems?
>
> --
> CeeBee
>
> "Eppur si muove!"

ceebee

"Angelo De Pa1ma" <adpspammersgotohell@tellurian.net> wrote in
rec.games.chess.computer:

> I should have learned my lesson with CB8, which didn't work
> under Windows XP, an operating system that was on the market for
> at least a year before CB8 was released.

Windows XP was released in 2001, CB8 in october 2000.

--
CeeBee

"Eppur si muove!"

> I have news for you CeeBee. CB8 was sold with *full knowledge* that it did
> not work under Windows XP. That's right, the geniuses at CB GmbH knew this
> but sold the program anyway. They then apologized and released a patch to
> fix the obvious compatibility problems which they didn't have the decency

ChessBase 8 had been released in 2000, i. e. *before* Windows XP,
which came in fall 2001.

Even out of the box I've never encountered any "obvious compatibility
problems" with CB8 on my XP machine. Admittedly, CB8 retail version
was not perfect, having different bugs, but ChessBase continuously tried
to fix them by making available several online program updates and fixes.
IIRC, the last online updates dates from January 2004.

If someone should encounter any problems with CB8 on a XP computer,
theses problems are very likely in connection with XP system recovery
feature or if he/she logs on to a PC by using a limited user account.
However, it is rather easy to bypass these small inconveniences.

> These are not $10.99 throw-away programs. CB costs hundreds of dollars.

Yes, but it is worth its price.

> The company doesn't even have the thoughtfulness to include a fact sheet
> with their product explaining the new features.

Chessbase 9 DVD comes with an 135 p. extensive PDF manual. Right in the
beginning of this manual, you can find a summarized 4 page list of all new
as well as the main features of CB9. You can also find such a list on
ChessBase home page. In addition to that, there's an instructive multi-part
video introduction presented by Chessbase chief Matthias Wuellenweber.

Sincerely,

Frank

All well and good, but what customers see when they buy CB 9 is the
"manual," which doesn't even give this information.

Angelo De Pa1ma wrote:

> I should have learned my lesson with CB8, which didn't work under Windows
> XP, an operating system that was on the market for at least a year before
> CB8 was released.

Win XP was first avaiable october (25. I was told) 2001, ChessBase 8 2
years earlier - well, autumn 1999.

Hal Terrie wrote:
First of all, although I am not absolutely
> certain of this, I think there is a difference between the upgrade
> version and the full version. When installing the upgrade version, you
> need to leave CB8 on your computer or CB9 will not work. The reason
> they give you a lower price for the upgrade version is that you
> already have a paid version of CB8, which the CB9 installer looks for.
> If I am right about this, all of your subsequent difficulties may be
> related to it.

No, you don't need CB8 on the comp for the CB9 to work.
The procedure is done through the regnr. during purchase, and that's it.
CB9 upgrade is a "full install", the whole package!

Regards,
HD

CeeBee wrote:
> "Angelo De Pa1ma" <adpspammersgotohell@tellurian.net> wrote in
> rec.games.chess.computer:
>

>>I should have learned my lesson with CB8, which didn't work
>>under Windows XP, an operating system that was on the market for
>>at least a year before CB8 was released.
>

> Windows XP was released in 2001, CB8 in october 2000.

Ups, I remembered it as 1999, but anyway..!

ceebee

HD <HDChess@gmail.com> wrote in rec.games.chess.computer:

>> Windows XP was released in 2001, CB8 in october 2000.
>>

> Ups, I remembered it as 1999, but anyway..!

No, it was either released in August 2000 or somewhat later, but in
2000 anyhow.

1999 or 2000 doesn't matter much though, as it was released _before_
XP, which was the subject.

--
CeeBee

"Eppur si muove!"

ceebee

"Angelo De Pa1ma" <adpspammersgotohell@tellurian.net> wrote in
rec.games.chess.computer:

> Then after reading Hal's post, I saw that perhaps I did not have
> the most recent update so I logged in and found the "update
> query" tab. How was I supposed to know that was there?

From the CB help file.

> Now
> according to CB my program is 3 versions old. So I updated. I
> will see if this helps.
>
> By the way, I should not have to read about this in a newsgroup
> post by somebody who does not work for ChessBase.
>
> CHESSBASE SHOULD INFORM ITS CUSTOMERS OF THE UPDATE AND HOW TO
> DO IT.

And maybe their customers should check the help files first and
know a bit more before claiming it's all the other's fault.

Basically you claimed that
- ChessBase should have developed a version for XP when XP wasn't
released yet,
- ChessBase didn't tell you how to operate the program properly,
but didn't consult the help file telling how,
- assume all software companies are in the habit of actively
informing people about updates of their program, which they hardly
if ever do.

But glad it all worked out.

--
CeeBee

"Eppur si muove!"

Chess programs in general are quite buggy and all exhibit huge memory leaks.
They make any computer unstable and take forever to close. Fritz, Chessbase,
etc, are all really pporly put together. And I'm not even taking about the
clunky, old interfaces.

--
Irvin
-------------------------

"Angelo De Pa1ma" <adpspammersgotohell@tellurian.net> wrote in message

> [...]
> XP, an operating system that was on the market for at least a year before
> CB8 was released.
>
> I have never had anywhere near as much trouble installing and running
> Windows programs as I do with CB. In fact I cannot think of another
> program I've tried over the past 3-4 years that did not work as
> advertised.
>
> I've wasted hours and hours trying to get CB to work.
>
> I'd like to propose a radical idea to the CB programming team: IT IS YOUR
> JOB, NOT MINE, TO GET YOUR PROGRAMS TO WORK!!!
>
> If any of you have had similar experiences and have fixed the problems
> please let me know.
>
> Angelo DePalma

"CeeBee" <ceebeechester@start.com.au> wrote

> And maybe their customers should check the help files first and
> know a bit more before claiming it's all the other's fault.

CeeBee, some people are better at figuring out what's on a CD-DVD-ROM than
others. It would take the people at CB a whole hour to write a brief "START
HERE" index file and burn it into future versions. I'm not asking for a lot,
just a guide to a product which is multi-faceted.

A perfect example is the Kasparov CD on the Q's gambit (which, by the way, I
highly recommend). Am I supposed to start CB Light first? Click on the main
..exe file? Click on one of the .wmv files? It may sound trivial to you but
believe me, it is not intuitive and even an intelligent person can waste
time unnecessarily trying to figure it out.

> Basically you claimed that
> - ChessBase should have developed a version for XP when XP wasn't
> released yet,

I originally wrote that, but subsequently I said they should have made it
XP-compatible before I purchased XP 3 years ago. That's not too much to ask.
The fact that they had to write a patch suggests something, no?

> - ChessBase didn't tell you how to operate the program properly,
> but didn't consult the help file telling how,

I thought a help file was for problems. "START HERE" is what's needed.

> - assume all software companies are in the habit of actively
> informing people about updates of their program, which they hardly
> if ever do.

CeeBee my friend, most software works right "out of the box" (or off the
download). I have close to a hundred programs on my computer. CB
applications are the only ones I have ever had trouble with.

> But glad it all worked out.

Not quite. It still freezes occasionally.

ceebee

"Angelo De Pa1ma" <adpspammersgotohell@tellurian.net> wrote in
rec.games.chess.computer:

> CeeBee my friend, most software works right "out of the box" (or
> off the download). I have close to a hundred programs on my
> computer. CB applications are the only ones I have ever had
> trouble with.

And that, Angelo my friend, was what I was trying to explain to you.
You're experiencing an irritating local problem, not a general
problem with ChessBase software.

Praise yourself lucky that the ChessBase software is the only
software giving you a headache with close to hundred programs on
your PC.

In my twenty years working on PC's I've installed and used thousands
of programs, and I never had such an eminent score. If I would have
got a dime for every piece of software hicking and screwing up, I
would be rich by now. Very rich.

--
CeeBee

"Eppur si muove!"

Of course I've had problems with other programs. At one point or other
almost everything misbehaves. There have probably been a couple of dozen
programs I've installed over the years that didn't work, even worse than CB
products.

The difference is most of those programs were free and are no longer around.
Ongoing problems (eg with MS software, OSs) are rare and intermittent. CB
has been in business for 20 years, their products are fairly expensive, and
as far as I know they've been on the Windows operating system since their
inception. There really isn't any excuse for sloppy programming after 20
years, not when the core CB program is essentially unchanged over several
versions.

Today I tried a "save as" for the game I played last night at my local club.
I got a "Preparing the database" message. Shredder does this at times as
well. Essentially the computer is locked up for 15 minutes while ChessBase
counts to 30,000. What this number signifies I'll never know. I mentioned
the other day that when I tried to interrupt that process a few months ago
my email folders disappeared. Today I just went downstairs for a half hour.
When I returned my computer was extremely unstable. The hard drive was going
crazy. When I applied a memory-freeing utility I saw that CB, even though I
had exited out of it, was still "using" about 3/4 of my RAM.

Look, I obviously like CB products because they're the standard. But these
annoyances should have been addressed a long time ago. Their programmers are
very smart but obviously they have made a corporate decision to take
shortcuts on programming, documentation, and customer support to save money.

(Once again, this has nothing to do with CB USA, only with GmbH).

Angelo

> "Angelo De Pa1ma" <adpspammersgotohell@tellurian.net> wrote in
> rec.games.chess.computer:
>

>> CeeBee my friend, most software works right "out of the box" (or
>> off the download). I have close to a hundred programs on my
>> computer. CB applications are the only ones I have ever had
>> trouble with.
>

> And that, Angelo my friend, was what I was trying to explain to you.
> You're experiencing an irritating local problem, not a general
> problem with ChessBase software.
>
> Praise yourself lucky that the ChessBase software is the only
> software giving you a headache with close to hundred programs on
> your PC.
>
> In my twenty years working on PC's I've installed and used thousands
> of programs, and I never had such an eminent score. If I would have
> got a dime for every piece of software hicking and screwing up, I
> would be rich by now. Very rich.
>

> --
> CeeBee
>
> "Eppur si muove!"

Angelo De Pa1ma <adpspammersgotohell@tellurian.net> wrote:
> I thought a help file was for problems.

No, a help file is to tell you how to do things, to help you.

Dave.

--
David Richerby Radioactive Mentholated Wine (TM):
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ it's like a vintage Beaujolais but

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 15:41:46 -0400, "Angelo De Pa1ma"
<adpspammersgotohell@tellurian.net> wrote:

> CB has been in business for 20 years,

Wrong

>as far as I know they've been on the Windows operating system since their
>inception.

Wrong again

>There really isn't any excuse for sloppy programming after 20
>years, not when the core CB program is essentially unchanged over several
>versions.

from: http://www.chessbase.com/puzzle/christmas2004/chr04-4a.htm :

"Seventeen years ago, in January 1987, the first version of our chess
database program was completed. ChessBase was the name we gave to it,
and it came on a black 360 KB diskette which you stuck into your Atari
ST."

Instead of whining like a little bitch, why don't you use some other
software, like a Convecta or Mattel product if you're so dissatisfied? You
said you had problems with CB8, and were whining and crying about that, yet
you choose to stay with CB and upgrade to CB9. What a pathetic hypocrite you
are! I have never had any problems with Chessbase 8, nor do I have problems
with CB 9, not even with the illegal copies I make. But then again, I am a
guy that actually knows how to use a computer. Instead of whining and crying
because you don't know enough about your pc to install software, go to your
local library, pick up a copy of BASIC COMPUTER USE FOR DUMMIES and study
away!

Regards,

Jason

irvin wrote:
> Thanks for the info, Richie.
>
> It's clear that Fritz is the culprit here, though.
>
> What are the others guys doing so that no special instructions are needed in
> order for them to close normally?

Keeping the program updated,
fighting any kind of potential malware (spyware, adware, trojans, virus,
worms etc.) on the systems,
keeping key-disks defragmented,
using hash-settings that fit within memory,
keeping the windows registry "clean",
checking if anything installed recently might interfere,
sending small friendly notes to Chessbase if none of it helps - which
indeed is rare.

For the program to start quicker, "we" uncheck the "load at program
start" in "tablebases" in the options dialog; the engine isn't
initializing the TB when starting. Also "we" do not allocate to much
TB-cashe.
The above has most effect on Shredder engines.

The mainpoint is: Keep your system healthy - Windows can't!

HD

Thanks for the info, but I don't have ANY of the potential problems you
mention. Thew simple fact is that this "normal" behaviour by Fritz, on ANY
computer. The interface is clunkly, old-fashioned and the program closes in
funny ways.

Now, don't get me wrong: for 50 bucks, Fritz is a bargain. And, no , it's
DEFINITELY not a big problem. I use it very little, but I'm very glad I
bought it. My observation is simply constructive criticism. Hopefully the
developers will take care of it.

--
Irvin
-------------------------

irvin <noone@none.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the info, Richie.

Um, that isn't my name.

> It's clear that Fritz is the culprit here, though.
>
> What are the others guys doing so that no special instructions are
> needed in order for them to close normally?

It appears from its interaction with anti-virus software that Fritz is
manipulating some reasonably large file as part of the shutdon process.
Presumably, the other programs you're talking about don't do that.

Unless that file is some sort of executable content (which I assume it
isn't, though I don't know), there's no reason for anti-virus software
to worry about it.

Dave.

--
David Richerby Simple Nuclear Chainsaw (TM): it's
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ like a lethal weapon that's made of

ceebee

"irvin" <noone@none.com> wrote in rec.games.chess.computer:

> problems you mention. Thew simple fact is that this "normal"
> behaviour by Fritz, on ANY computer.

Weird. I have run and installed Fritz and related software on dozens
of computers during it existence, and I never encountered this
problem.

People report all kinds of problems with ChessBase software - after
all it is widely used, there are a lot of computer configurations,
and all software contains bugs, but _this_ has never been widely
reported.

It is not normal behaviour, and _certainly_ not on _any_ computer.

Try to move or disable tablebases, and see if that changes things.
Maybe there's a corrupt tablebase screwing up.

--
CeeBee

"Eppur si muove!"