CB Radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
I had a CB base station station when I was a kid where I used to pester the old guys within transmitting range with endless radio checks as I was constantly tweaking performance.

Then, for years, we kept in our vehicles to communicate during multiple cross country moves....until cell phones came along.

Now, I still have one in my truck. It is primarily there for the weather band radio (alerts) when towing my camper. I also listen when on long drives.

jaydean

Reputable
Oct 8, 2016
Hi COLGeek
Yes I have several CB's in my house, I love the hobby especially talking skip overseas and experimenting with antennas. I have been messing with CB's since the late 70's. Do all the folks over there still run high power on their CB's?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
4 watts is the legal (12w for SSB) transmission strength in the US. More and you could get on the bad side of the FCC (technically).

Linear amps are readily available and many run WELL more output wattage than the legal limit.

jaydean

Reputable
Oct 8, 2016
Yes in Australia it is not uncommon for the guys in Sydney and Newcastle to run 2kw or more. They never seem to get in trouble for it either.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Hey CoLGeek
Any more the listening is to hear anybody saying something period.
Any more they are Backup Radios
They Only come on in a Backup.
True. I also hear folks regularly, using linear amps from afar using the "skip" to speak to remote locations.

Where I currently live, there is one local regular. He likes to harass drivers in I-95/I-64 near Richmond. He causes quite a stir occasionally.

Oh ya there will always be the skippers.
But most drivers these days are busy listening to the Xm or tired of the comercial calls or Cb Rambo's and the base station that can't find a frequency away from ch19
It's definitely not like it use to be.

There have been times I have tried warning drivers of accidents ahead of drivers going the opposite way and got No come back, to hear a fant voice moments later aaahhh whats going on.

I have 2 main rules that apply At All Times.
If my truck is moving
Lights On
Radio On !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sure wish a driver would have had his radio on back in Feb when a tanker come up and slammed into the flatbed next to me then got hooked under me.
I was sore for a few days.
https://funkyimg.com/view/37wbX

He should have went and bought lottos afterward.
When he hit and hooked under me he was pushing me as I guided us to the shoulder.
If i hadn't been where I was he would have rolled going into the ditch down a hill.
And All could have been avoided had he had his radio On.

Nice Chatting Everyone Take Care !!!!!!!
And Safe Travels !!!!!!

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Oh ya there will always be the skippers.
But most drivers these days are busy listening to the Xm or tired of the comercial calls or Cb Rambo's and the base station that can't find a frequency away from ch19
It's definitely not like it use to be.

There have been times I have tried warning drivers of accidents ahead of drivers going the opposite way and got No come back, to hear a fant voice moments later aaahhh whats going on.

I have 2 main rules that apply At All Times.
If my truck is moving
Lights On
Radio On !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sure wish a driver would have had his radio on back in Feb when a tanker come up and slammed into the flatbed next to me then got hooked under me.
I was sore for a few days.
https://funkyimg.com/view/37wbX

He should have went and bought lottos afterward.
When he hit and hooked under me he was pushing me as I guided us to the shoulder.
If i hadn't been where I was he would have rolled going into the ditch down a hill.
And All could have been avoided had he had his radio On.

Nice Chatting Everyone Take Care !!!!!!!
And Safe Travels !!!!!!
Ouch!!!

jaydean

Reputable
Oct 8, 2016
Oh OKAY. So you guys have channel 19 as your truckers channel? In Australia the truckers stay on channel 40 on UHF 477Mhz mainly

jaydean

Reputable
Oct 8, 2016
Come on guys we have to try and re-kindle the CB Radio hobby. In the next few years the sunspot cycle is going to increase which means the DX will be back. Remember the good old days back in the 80's when we could talk to the USA on almost a daily basis?
Even as I speak there are guys in the USA erecting enormous antennas in anticipation of the coming sunspot cycle. If you are into it then get involved again, dust off your old radio's, get your antenna back up and get ready for the skip to begin.

At the moment there is a guy in the states "John Bartal" who has just put up a 13 element yagi on the CB Band with a 120 foot long boom. Can you imagine that, what a massive antenna. You can find the guy on Facebook. Here is one pic of the antenna before it went up on the tower. Darn it won't let me add the url to the pic.

Last edited by a moderator:

Benjamin22044

Great
BANNED
Aug 17, 2020
Not from 70s and definitely not an oldie, but I do enjoy CB Radio. Though times have changed much and kids nowadays are more into Spotify than anything else, but I do love listening to it and it is kind of a guilty pleasure for me because many of my friends do not consider this something interesting.

jaydean

Reputable
Oct 8, 2016
Any new activity from you CB radio operators? The DX is starting to return again so get your antennas dusted off and wait for the skip to come in again. I have been hearing strong signals coming in from all over Australia and some folks have been working into the USA when conditions are right. Let me know if anyone out there is or has been hearing any good signals on the band.

Status
Not open for further replies.