Question CCA Vs Solid Copper & Stranded Vs Solid Copper

Crag_Hack

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2015
Hi I have a quick question that's been bugging me ... we have CCA cable vs solid copper cable and stranded vs solid copper cable. Is there another name for solid copper to avoid ambiguity of names in either of the contrasts? How do I know what I'm talking about, or is solid copper the same in both? Thanks!

Ralston18

Titan
Not completely sure about the question....

CCA is copper clad aluminum.

As for solid and stranded copper cable both should be pure copper.

To learn more about the differences just visit a few manufacturer/seller websites.

E.g.:

https://internationalwire.com/guide-to-copper-wires/

https://medium.com/@kolorapus/what-is-copper-wire-cable-3682ea1d944a

Visit the links.

If the links do not explicitly answer your questions then try to use wording from the links (or other links as you find and chose) to rephrase your questions and concerns.

Crag_Hack

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2015
@Ralston18 What I mean to say is we talk about CCA vs solid copper, and we talk about stranded vs solid coper. Are all unstranded cables inherently pure copper? Can some be CCA? If some can be CCA then it is confusing whether we are talking about unstranded wire or non-CCA wire when we say solid copper. So there is confusion in the terminology. And I'm under the impression that unstranded cable can be CCA.

The vendors of CCA say all kinds of things to make things confusing. If they came out and told people it was primarily a aluminum wire they could not get the price they ask.

Manufactures of cables made out of copper tend to be much more clear. If you were to read the specs on a stranded cable they will tell you how many strands and the size of the individual strands.

You really only use solid copper cables for ethernet. Stranded although the cable itself is more flexible it tends to have more failures on the ends....mostly because cables where flexibilty is important tend to be plugged and unplugged more than solid cables.

Any CCA cable automatically means the cable even though it looks like a ethernet cable can never be. The standard uses the word "MUST" when it say the cable has to be copper metal. Anything else instantly is non conforming.

Reactions: Ralston18
Used to be companies did not lie to sell you product. If you purchased "ethernet" cable it met the standards set by the official groups. It is things like EIA/TIA and bunches of numbers.

Now days you find massive amounts of fake ethernet cable. What is strange is if you try to sell a fake purse on amazon it is not allowed but amazon themselves are selling cables that they call ethernet cable but do not meet the standards.

What is also strange is if you try to sell CCA cable for electrical use you can actually get arrested. The UL standards do not allow it and unlike a ethenet cable where they are just ripping you off electical stuff is safety concern so the government gets involved.

Generally people who do networking wiring for a living will do it correctly. Most have a warranty on their work and do not want to come back out and waste their time troubleshooting. They generally test every single connection and present a report that show every connection meets certification.

If it was some electricians that just do other cabling on the side you never know. The meters to test ethernet cable are expensive and if it is a smaller company they may try to cut their cost by buying CCA cables. Since most times you do not a license to install ethernet the guys are not tested like they are on electrical wires. They may not know CCA cable is not allowed.

You can generally tell by looking at the cable. Most valid ethernet cable have markings every 2 ft. They generally tell the wires size and many have the letters CU on it. CCA cable says CCA on it......unless they put no marking on it to hide the fact it is not copper cable.