[SOLVED] ccleaner question

I have been using this program for many years without a problem , in recent months it has added something called driver update to it.
I have 2 desktops and a laptop and am a bit sceptical about the driver updates it says i need for various areas of my pc's workings.
Example , my laptop has almost nothing on it apart from a photo editing program for my camera but the ccleaner driver update section says i have 27 missing updates which really puzzles me.

Should i play safe and avoid using this section of ccleaner program.

Solution
it sounds just like driver booster, saying your pc is out of date when really it isn't.
27 updates likely counts every driver as a different one, so a driver pack like AMD chipset drivers might be seen as 5 by it when really its just one package. they often lie too, and make it look like you need this feature when really they can mess up installs by putting on wrong drivers

Never use 3rd party driver updating apps, especially if your hardware makers have their own support site or like lenovo, have their own software that will do it.

Windows update drivers come from the HArdware makers. Microsoft ask makers to supply drivers for signatures so that they will work with win 10 or 11, and all of those that pass go into the MS Update...
I think i best ignore it because it says my lenovo laptop needs 27 updates but lenovos own vantage software says its up to date , and i wont be be pleased if they mess my games rigs up.
I think its a bit like when random available updates would appear in microsoft updates ..... where did the benq monitor screen update come from or more to the point how did it even get on microsofts site.

Colif

Win 11 Master
it sounds just like driver booster, saying your pc is out of date when really it isn't.
27 updates likely counts every driver as a different one, so a driver pack like AMD chipset drivers might be seen as 5 by it when really its just one package. they often lie too, and make it look like you need this feature when really they can mess up installs by putting on wrong drivers

Never use 3rd party driver updating apps, especially if your hardware makers have their own support site or like lenovo, have their own software that will do it.

Windows update drivers come from the HArdware makers. Microsoft ask makers to supply drivers for signatures so that they will work with win 10 or 11, and all of those that pass go into the MS Update Catalog that windows update uses to update PC on install. It is also how the windows 11 installer has all the drivers it has access to.

So Windows update isn't really a 3rd party driver updater.

Last edited:
Solution
CCleaner apparently has to add doo-dads to attract new customers.

I refused to update it and continued to use an older version that had fewer doo-dads and complications until 2 or 3 years ago..............at which point I gave up on it entirely after realizing I was using it only because it relieved my obsessive tendencies, not because I ever noticed the slightest change in performance.

I'm ashamed to admit I occasionally backslide and run a portable version only because I can't help myself.

Colif

Win 11 Master
You don't really need them anymore, windows 10 with its 6 monthly rebuilds basically cleans PC for you. registry never gets dirty enough to need ccleaner. Storage sense can also clean up hdd for you.

lots of 3rd party driver updaters appearing as functions of previous apps or in anything owned by Norton. So Avast got it, ccleaner was next.

Its cause its a hole, and ever since Windows defender started getting better, they feeling the pressure. So expand into driver updating as the audience is massive, very few people know what drivers are unless they wander into forums. I vaguely knew what they were 10 years ago.

If MS ever make Device manager driver updater look outside the box (windows update catalog) and improve its ability to identify newest drivers, all of these programs will disappear.

I use Driverview - http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/driverview.html - to identify old drivers and then go to the makers websites and get them from there, but its not so simple if you don't have any creation dates, Or don't know who to trust on internet as so many driver dl sites I wouldn't even look at now, but that is after 6 years of looking for drivers for other people.
Driver view just looks, it doesn't download. All it really does is runs windows commands and structures the results better than you get in command prompt.

I have been using this program for many years without a problem , in recent months it has added something called driver update to it.
I have 2 desktops and a laptop and am a bit sceptical about the driver updates it says i need for various areas of my pc's workings.
Example , my laptop has almost nothing on it apart from a photo editing program for my camera but the ccleaner driver update section says i have 27 missing updates which really puzzles me.

Should i play safe and avoid using this section of ccleaner program.
I don't think I would let it update anything without having an easy way to go back.
Visit the laptop maker site and compare what they have to offer vs what ccleaner shows.