CCP's World of Darkness MMO Cancelled

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mathos

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
Probably has a lot to do with the changes to almost all the games based in World of Darkness over the last revision. Vampire, Changeling, Werewolf, etc. Forgot the names of the others. Not to mention the worlds system itself has had quite a fall off of popularity since said changes. Which would make promise of any return on investment that much more risky.

Tempname

Reputable
Apr 9, 2014
I love World of Darkness to bits, it's just fantastic, and, in my opinion, miles ahead of everything else in the genre.

That said, I would NOT have bought this game. Why? Simple: MMO.

Bring us another Vampire Bloodlines by Tim Cain, that's what I want to see. He's over at Obsidian, so he has the team...

signothorn

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
This was sad news to the VTM community. Perhaps CCPGames will license the WoD out to a 3rd party to make another game in the future. Bloodlines will be 10 years old this October. Project Vaulderie is promising, they're porting Bloodlines to the Unity engine to make it much easier to mod, a nicer look with DX11 support and much more.

Tempname

Reputable
Apr 9, 2014

Promising?

It's pretty obvious it will fail miserably. A project of that size is bound to fail, no matter the strength of the people leading it. They will need years of hard work with a team of 5, with no guarantee of success, and with nothing to be gained (financially speaking). Much smaller projects have falling by the wayside (like the KotOR2 restoration project) despite being much easier.

signothorn

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012

Promising?

It's pretty obvious it will fail miserably. A project of that size is bound to fail, no matter the strength of the people leading it. They will need years of hard work with a team of 5, with no guarantee of success, and with nothing to be gained (financially speaking). Much smaller projects have falling by the wayside (like the KotOR2 restoration project) despite being much easier.

It's not obvious at all. The game is porting quite easily to Unity and they will have a demo of the Santa Monica hub available soon. The scale of the operation isn't as large as many might think, and as someone who is in regular contact with the team doing it, I'm assessing they'll get it done.

Tempname

Reputable
Apr 9, 2014

As a fan of the game, that's great to hear.

Draven35

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008

The reboot happened years ago- 2--4- and WW and CCP 'merged' in 2006. The fall off in popularity had happened before then- the end times stuff didn't do as well as they thought- and no, the nWoD stuff didn't do great. Hence why Onyx PAth is producing new materials for the classic World of Darkness.

Status
Not open for further replies.