john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

My CD Drive /writer opens and closes when I boot up. It then opens as
Windows loads and several times later.

Any ideas. It has only just started doing it - don't think I have changed
anything.

Check for viruses, some are written to do just that...

--
Tumppi
Reply to group

"John" <john@nowhere.com> kirjoitti viestissä
> My CD Drive /writer opens and closes when I boot up. It then opens as
> Windows loads and several times later.
>
> Any ideas. It has only just started doing it - don't think I have changed
> anything.

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

"John" <john@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> My CD Drive /writer opens and closes when I boot up. It then opens as
> Windows loads and several times later.
>
> Any ideas. It has only just started doing it - don't think I have changed
> anything.

It was a Trojan - now cleared. Many thanks

John wrote:
> My CD Drive /writer opens and closes when I boot up. It then opens as
> Windows loads and several times later.
>
> Any ideas. It has only just started doing it - don't think I have changed
> anything.

trojan...

http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/

John wrote:
> "John" <john@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>
>>My CD Drive /writer opens and closes when I boot up. It then opens as
>>Windows loads and several times later.
>>
>>Any ideas. It has only just started doing it - don't think I have changed
>>anything.
>>

> It was a Trojan - now cleared. Many thanks

Which means someone may have had access to every keystroke you made and
every document and password stored on your computer. I'd begin the
process of changing ALL passwords immediately. Further, be on gaurd for
identity theft if you kept name, birthday, and social security number in
any document on your computer. Watch your credit card as well if you
made any online purchases. In future, you should be using a firewall
(ZoneAlarm and Sygate are both free for personal use) and CURRENT and
UPDATED antivirus software (at the minimum). A program like Trojan
Defense Suite 3 wouldn't be off the mark, either. If you're on
broadband, you better hope they weren't also using your computer for
illegal activities which will now trace back to you...

Cheers,

Ari

http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/

On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 02:17:25 +0800, spodosaurus
<spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote:

>Which means someone may have had access to every keystroke you made and
>every document and password stored on your computer. I'd begin the
>process of changing ALL passwords immediately. Further, be on gaurd for
>identity theft if you kept name, birthday, and social security number in
>any document on your computer. Watch your credit card as well if you
>made any online purchases. In future, you should be using a firewall
>(ZoneAlarm and Sygate are both free for personal use) and CURRENT and
>UPDATED antivirus software (at the minimum). A program like Trojan
>Defense Suite 3 wouldn't be off the mark, either. If you're on
>broadband, you better hope they weren't also using your computer for
>illegal activities which will now trace back to you...
>
>Cheers,
>
>Ari

And watch out for black helicopters over your house. There are many
kinds of trojans. The one he had sounds fairly benign and just an
annoyance. What was the name of that Trojan, the scanning software
would have told you.

jad

Win32.HLLW.VB.s W32/Generic.d was a couple of them. Another Java
script exploitation

"Aldwyn Edain" <ae@invalid.email> wrote in message
> On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 02:17:25 +0800, spodosaurus
> <spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote:
>

>>Which means someone may have had access to every keystroke you made and
>>every document and password stored on your computer. I'd begin the
>>process of changing ALL passwords immediately. Further, be on gaurd for
>>identity theft if you kept name, birthday, and social security number in
>>any document on your computer. Watch your credit card as well if you
>>made any online purchases. In future, you should be using a firewall
>>(ZoneAlarm and Sygate are both free for personal use) and CURRENT and
>>UPDATED antivirus software (at the minimum). A program like Trojan
>>Defense Suite 3 wouldn't be off the mark, either. If you're on
>>broadband, you better hope they weren't also using your computer for
>>illegal activities which will now trace back to you...
>>
>>Cheers,
>>
>>Ari
>
> And watch out for black helicopters over your house. There are many
> kinds of trojans. The one he had sounds fairly benign and just an
> annoyance. What was the name of that Trojan, the scanning software
> would have told you.

On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 02:17:25 +0800, spodosaurus
<spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote:

>John wrote:
>> "John" <john@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>My CD Drive /writer opens and closes when I boot up. It then opens as
>>>Windows loads and several times later.
>>>
>>>Any ideas. It has only just started doing it - don't think I have changed
>>>anything.
>>>

>> It was a Trojan - now cleared. Many thanks
>>

>Which means someone may have had access to every keystroke you made and
>every document and password stored on your computer. I'd begin the
>process of changing ALL passwords immediately. Further, be on gaurd for
>identity theft if you kept name, birthday, and social security number in
>any document on your computer. Watch your credit card as well if you
>made any online purchases. In future, you should be using a firewall
>(ZoneAlarm and Sygate are both free for personal use) and CURRENT and
>UPDATED antivirus software (at the minimum). A program like Trojan
>Defense Suite 3 wouldn't be off the mark, either. If you're on
>broadband, you better hope they weren't also using your computer for
>illegal activities which will now trace back to you...
>
>Cheers,
>
>Ari

Might want to throttle back the paranoia a notch. It's certainly
possible and keeping an eye on your financial details isn't a bad
idea, however, if the trojan author's aim was to steal your ID, it'd
be pretty stupid of him to advertise the presence of the trojan with
childish poltergeist tricks.

MCheu

>>> My CD Drive /writer opens and closes when I boot up. It then opens as Windows loads and several times later.
>>>
>>> Any ideas. It has only just started doing it - don't think I have changed anything.
>>>

>> It was a Trojan - now cleared. Many thanks
>>

> Which means someone may have had access to every keystroke you made and every document and password stored on your computer. I'd begin the process of changing ALL passwords immediately. Further, be on gaurd for identity theft if you kept name, birthday, and social security number in any document on your computer. Watch your credit card as well if you made any online purchases.

Right. Let's not needlessly alarm this poor person, shall we?

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

"John" <john@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> My CD Drive /writer opens and closes when I boot up. It then opens as
> Windows loads and several times later.
>
> Any ideas. It has only just started doing it - don't think I have changed
> anything.

It is still doing it _ I thought it had stopped.

I am running all of my antivirus / Adaware and Spybot programmes.

It first opens and closes very early in the boot process. Then opens when
Windows boots (and re-opens if closed for a while)

Could it be a BIOS problem - or even hardware?

jad

nero installed?
an earlier version of smartstart had this effect.
it just could be a hardware thing, here's a thought, pull the ribbon but
leave the power running to it. Does it still open and close?

> "John" <john@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>> My CD Drive /writer opens and closes when I boot up. It then opens as
>> Windows loads and several times later.
>>
>> Any ideas. It has only just started doing it - don't think I have changed
>> anything.
>>

> It is still doing it _ I thought it had stopped.
>
> I am running all of my antivirus / Adaware and Spybot programmes.
>

> It first opens and closes very early in the boot process. Then opens when
> Windows boots (and re-opens if closed for a while)
>
> Could it be a BIOS problem - or even hardware?

jad

also john your antivirus may have removed only part of the infection. the
java script file may still be present. The name could be anything, but
usually ends in 'script' or that word could be in it. could be in
:/windows, windows/system, or root of your OS partition.

On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 15:57:50 GMT, "John" <john@nowhere.com> wrote:

>It is still doing it _ I thought it had stopped.
>
>I am running all of my antivirus / Adaware and Spybot programmes.
>

>It first opens and closes very early in the boot process. Then opens when
>Windows boots (and re-opens if closed for a while)
>
>Could it be a BIOS problem - or even hardware?

If you want to be certain it's a hardware fault and not a trojan or
virus then you might have to do a wipe of your hard drive and then
install your OS from scratch - while disconnected from the internet.

Get Dban and it will wipe your HDD clean and destroy all partitions
and boot sectors. This will guarantee there are no nasties hidden on
your HDD before doing a clean install. It takes quite a while to do
the wipe too.

*Only do this as a last resort.*

http://dban.sourceforge.net/

MCheu wrote:
> On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 02:17:25 +0800, spodosaurus
> <spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote:
>

>>John wrote:
>>
>>>"John" <john@nowhere.com> wrote in message

>>>It was a Trojan - now cleared. Many thanks
>>>

>>Which means someone may have had access to every keystroke you made and
>>every document and password stored on your computer. I'd begin the
>>process of changing ALL passwords immediately. Further, be on gaurd for
>>identity theft if you kept name, birthday, and social security number in
>>any document on your computer. Watch your credit card as well if you
>>made any online purchases. In future, you should be using a firewall
>>(ZoneAlarm and Sygate are both free for personal use) and CURRENT and
>>UPDATED antivirus software (at the minimum). A program like Trojan
>>Defense Suite 3 wouldn't be off the mark, either. If you're on
>>broadband, you better hope they weren't also using your computer for
>>illegal activities which will now trace back to you...
>>
>>Cheers,
>>
>>Ari
>

> Might want to throttle back the paranoia a notch. It's certainly
> possible and keeping an eye on your financial details isn't a bad
> idea, however, if the trojan author's aim was to steal your ID, it'd
> be pretty stupid of him to advertise the presence of the trojan with
> childish poltergeist tricks.

> MCheu

I'm only going by what the OP has told us: there was a trojan on his
system. I'm not psychic and cannot read the mind of the author of that
trojan, nor remotely estimate his IQ. However, not all trojans are keyed
with a password, meaning once infected more than one person can access
that computer remotely.

Cheers,

Ari

http://www.abmdr.org.au/