my cd drive has completely disappeared from my computer software. i cannot
open the drive, or find it in any search on my computer. i have a feeling
one of my children has deleted it but i do not know where to start. i cannot
attempt to re-install via any disc as i cannot open the drive at all.
please help???

This applies to XP also if you have TweakUI...
Missing Drives in My Computer and Windows Explorer
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;191579

If that isn't the problem, see this...

Restore CD/DVD Drives to Explorer
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_cd_dvd_fix.htm