CD drive no longer shows up

Jenny

On Asus P4GE-V with w2k OS, a Lite On cd r/w just stopped showing up.
It was the only drive on the secondary IDE connector. I put the drive in an
other puter and it shows fine. In my Asus, it ejects and has power. I
replaced
ribbon cable with known good and tried changing jumper from cs to master.
I of course uninstalled the drivers from Device Mgr, but as soon as the
computer
turns on it rebuilds the driver to no avail. The drive doesn't show in the
BIOS
either so it is unusable to boot from.
I have done several virus scans with no show of problems.
What else can I try?
TIA

---

jad

'IDE set to auto detect?

have you tried resetting the cmos?

"Jenny" <bry333@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> On Asus P4GE-V with w2k OS, a Lite On cd r/w just stopped showing
up.
> It was the only drive on the secondary IDE connector. I put the
drive in an
> other puter and it shows fine. In my Asus, it ejects and has power.
> replaced
> ribbon cable with known good and tried changing jumper from cs to
master.
> I of course uninstalled the drivers from Device Mgr, but as soon as
the
> computer
> turns on it rebuilds the driver to no avail. The drive doesn't show
in the
> BIOS
> either so it is unusable to boot from.
> I have done several virus scans with no show of problems.
> What else can I try?
> TIA
>

> ---

Andrew

see if it runs on the primary ide as a slave drive

"Jenny" <bry333@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
On Asus P4GE-V with w2k OS, a Lite On cd r/w just stopped showing up.
It was the only drive on the secondary IDE connector. I put the drive in an
other puter and it shows fine. In my Asus, it ejects and has power. I
replaced
ribbon cable with known good and tried changing jumper from cs to master.
I of course uninstalled the drivers from Device Mgr, but as soon as the
computer
turns on it rebuilds the driver to no avail. The drive doesn't show in the
BIOS
either so it is unusable to boot from.
I have done several virus scans with no show of problems.
What else can I try?
TIA

---

Jenny

That's a good idea. I currently have two harddrives on the primary but I
can
rearrange things and that is the next easiest step I guess. Thanks for the
idea.

"Andrew" <Andrew@aserversomewhere.calm> wrote in message
> see if it runs on the primary ide as a slave drive
>
> "Jenny" <bry333@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> On Asus P4GE-V with w2k OS, a Lite On cd r/w just stopped showing up.
> It was the only drive on the secondary IDE connector. I put the drive in
an
> other puter and it shows fine. In my Asus, it ejects and has power. I
> replaced
> ribbon cable with known good and tried changing jumper from cs to master.
> I of course uninstalled the drivers from Device Mgr, but as soon as the
> computer
> turns on it rebuilds the driver to no avail. The drive doesn't show in
the
> BIOS
> either so it is unusable to boot from.
> I have done several virus scans with no show of problems.
> What else can I try?
> TIA
>

> ---

---

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 22:37:36 -0400, "Jenny" <bry333@bellsouth.net>
wrote:
<Begin Snip>
>That's a good idea. I currently have two harddrives on the primary but I
>can
>rearrange things and that is the next easiest step I guess. Thanks for the
>idea.

<End Snip>

This is just a thought, but, I wonder if your Secondary IDE went out?
I know the chances of this happening should be somewhere between slim
and none, but, anything "could" happen. The only reason I am thinking
this is because you said that the drive isn't even recognized in the
BIOS. If it isn't recognized in the MB Bios, that could spell
trouble.

I guess we shall see after you rearrange things in the machine.

Jenny

It doesn't show as slave on primary - and yet it does show and work in
another computer.

"Andrew" <Andrew@aserversomewhere.calm> wrote in message
> see if it runs on the primary ide as a slave drive
>
> "Jenny" <bry333@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> On Asus P4GE-V with w2k OS, a Lite On cd r/w just stopped showing up.
> It was the only drive on the secondary IDE connector. I put the drive in
an
> other puter and it shows fine. In my Asus, it ejects and has power. I
> replaced
> ribbon cable with known good and tried changing jumper from cs to master.
> I of course uninstalled the drivers from Device Mgr, but as soon as the
> computer
> turns on it rebuilds the driver to no avail. The drive doesn't show in
the
> BIOS
> either so it is unusable to boot from.
> I have done several virus scans with no show of problems.
> What else can I try?
> TIA
>

> ---

---

Jenny

IDE is set to auto detect. Remember, it was working yesterday and today it
is not.
I haven't tried resetting the cmos. How do I do that??
Thanks JAD!

"JAD" <Kapasitor@coldmail.com> wrote in message
> 'IDE set to auto detect?
>
> have you tried resetting the cmos?
>

> "Jenny" <bry333@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> > On Asus P4GE-V with w2k OS, a Lite On cd r/w just stopped showing
> up.
> > It was the only drive on the secondary IDE connector. I put the
> drive in an
> > other puter and it shows fine. In my Asus, it ejects and has power.
> > replaced
> > ribbon cable with known good and tried changing jumper from cs to
> master.
> > I of course uninstalled the drivers from Device Mgr, but as soon as
> the
> > computer
> > turns on it rebuilds the driver to no avail. The drive doesn't show
> in the
> > BIOS
> > either so it is unusable to boot from.
> > I have done several virus scans with no show of problems.
> > What else can I try?
> > TIA
> >

> > ---

---

Andrew

My next thought is,,
See how much you can get for it on Ebay <s>

It doesn't show as slave on primary - and yet it does show and work in
another computer.

"Andrew" <Andrew@aserversomewhere.calm> wrote in message
> see if it runs on the primary ide as a slave drive
>
> "Jenny" <bry333@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> On Asus P4GE-V with w2k OS, a Lite On cd r/w just stopped showing up.
> It was the only drive on the secondary IDE connector. I put the drive in
an
> other puter and it shows fine. In my Asus, it ejects and has power. I
> replaced
> ribbon cable with known good and tried changing jumper from cs to master.
> I of course uninstalled the drivers from Device Mgr, but as soon as the
> computer
> turns on it rebuilds the driver to no avail. The drive doesn't show in
the
> BIOS
> either so it is unusable to boot from.
> I have done several virus scans with no show of problems.
> What else can I try?
> TIA
>

> ---

---

Jenny

Correction. It still doesn't show in My Computer but it now shows in the
BIOS. I even
used the OS boot cd to boot and do a fast repair, but still no luck. Now
what??
Thanks to all for your help!!!!

> IDE is set to auto detect. Remember, it was working yesterday and today
it
> is not.
> I haven't tried resetting the cmos. How do I do that??
> Thanks JAD!
>

> "JAD" <Kapasitor@coldmail.com> wrote in message
> > 'IDE set to auto detect?
> >
> > have you tried resetting the cmos?
> >

> > "Jenny" <bry333@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> > > On Asus P4GE-V with w2k OS, a Lite On cd r/w just stopped showing
> > up.
> > > It was the only drive on the secondary IDE connector. I put the
> > drive in an
> > > other puter and it shows fine. In my Asus, it ejects and has power.
> > > replaced
> > > ribbon cable with known good and tried changing jumper from cs to
> > master.
> > > I of course uninstalled the drivers from Device Mgr, but as soon as
> > the
> > > computer
> > > turns on it rebuilds the driver to no avail. The drive doesn't show
> > in the
> > > BIOS
> > > either so it is unusable to boot from.
> > > I have done several virus scans with no show of problems.
> > > What else can I try?
> > > TIA
> > >

> > > ---
> > >

> ---

---

Jenny

I haven't tested my other harddrive on the secondary yet to see if it shows.
But it is now
late and I have to get up very early. So I will make that test tomorrow.
I'll let you know.
Obviously, that will tell us if the secondary IDE is working.

> My next thought is,,
> See how much you can get for it on Ebay <s>
>

> "Jenny" <bry333@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> It doesn't show as slave on primary - and yet it does show and work in
> another computer.
>

> "Andrew" <Andrew@aserversomewhere.calm> wrote in message
> > see if it runs on the primary ide as a slave drive
> >
> > "Jenny" <bry333@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> > On Asus P4GE-V with w2k OS, a Lite On cd r/w just stopped showing up.
> > It was the only drive on the secondary IDE connector. I put the drive
in
> an
> > other puter and it shows fine. In my Asus, it ejects and has power. I
> > replaced
> > ribbon cable with known good and tried changing jumper from cs to
master.
> > I of course uninstalled the drivers from Device Mgr, but as soon as the
> > computer
> > turns on it rebuilds the driver to no avail. The drive doesn't show in
> the
> > BIOS
> > either so it is unusable to boot from.
> > I have done several virus scans with no show of problems.
> > What else can I try?
> > TIA
> >

> > ---
> >

> ---

---

Try TweakUI
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx it
can make drives appear and disappear in windows.

> Correction. It still doesn't show in My Computer but it now shows in the
> BIOS. I even
> used the OS boot cd to boot and do a fast repair, but still no luck. Now
> what??
> Thanks to all for your help!!!!
>

> "Jenny" <bry333@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> > IDE is set to auto detect. Remember, it was working yesterday and today
> it
> > is not.
> > I haven't tried resetting the cmos. How do I do that??
> > Thanks JAD!
> >

> > "JAD" <Kapasitor@coldmail.com> wrote in message
> > > 'IDE set to auto detect?
> > >
> > > have you tried resetting the cmos?
> > >

> > > "Jenny" <bry333@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> > > up.
> > > drive in an
> > > master.
> > > the
> > > in the

> > ---
> >

> ---

Have you recently installed nero after having used adaptec/roxio to burn
CDs.

If so, check on the nero site for help as it is a registry entry that is
screwing your system up.

Really easy to fix, delete on registry entry.

the_GNOME

"Jenny" <bry333@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> On Asus P4GE-V with w2k OS, a Lite On cd r/w just stopped showing up.
> It was the only drive on the secondary IDE connector. I put the drive in
an
> other puter and it shows fine. In my Asus, it ejects and has power. I
> replaced
> ribbon cable with known good and tried changing jumper from cs to master.
> I of course uninstalled the drivers from Device Mgr, but as soon as the
> computer
> turns on it rebuilds the driver to no avail. The drive doesn't show in
the
> BIOS
> either so it is unusable to boot from.
> I have done several virus scans with no show of problems.
> What else can I try?
> TIA
>

> ---

Jenny

I got tweak ui and all the drives are checked. So it isn't that.

"Kill Bill" <a@b.c> wrote in message
> Try TweakUI
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx it
> can make drives appear and disappear in windows.

---

Jenny

That was it Gnome!!!. I got a driver conflict and reg cleaner from Nero and
much to my
amazement, it worked. It removed 5 conflicts (I have no idea where they
came from).
The items removed were CDRAL.DLL, CDR4_2K.SYS, CDRALW2K.SYS,
Service:CDR_2K, and Service:CDRALW2K. Then I ran the reg cleaner and it
fixed
an error (didn't say what). Presto, magico, done. Thanks Gnome!!!