CD drive not appearing in Win98

I have put together this box with a new P/S, VIA Gigapro Motherboard which
is fine but the CD drive that I installed doesn't show up for Windows! It
does, however appear in the CMOS setup and is identified in the DOS screen
on start-up along with the Primary Master HD, it is the Secodary Master
drive. Seems to be normal (as the other ones I have set up). I've
checked jumper over and over--and changed them once--then back to
'Master'.
It's an older Yamaha 4416 that was working in another computer ok. I also
swapped another working Cd into the box with the same results!
I've gone through the CMOS set-up several times with the manual in hand
and everything looks normal. Yet Windows doesn't even _see_ the drive so
it can't have the wrong driver and I can't put the WIN98 Cd in because it
doesn't see it! Grrrr!
Funny thing is it _was_ there when I first put this thing together and it
disappeared. what am I missing here? Any help would sure be
appreciated.
Thanks,,,

"Shoogle" <kjacobs@mts.net> wrote in message
>I have put together this box with a new P/S, VIA Gigapro Motherboard which
> is fine but the CD drive that I installed doesn't show up for Windows! It
> does, however appear in the CMOS setup and is identified in the DOS screen
> on start-up along with the Primary Master HD, it is the Secodary Master
> drive. Seems to be normal (as the other ones I have set up). I've
> checked jumper over and over--and changed them once--then back to
> 'Master'.
> It's an older Yamaha 4416 that was working in another computer ok. I also
> swapped another working Cd into the box with the same results!
> I've gone through the CMOS set-up several times with the manual in hand
> and everything looks normal. Yet Windows doesn't even _see_ the drive so
> it can't have the wrong driver and I can't put the WIN98 Cd in because it
> doesn't see it! Grrrr!
> Funny thing is it _was_ there when I first put this thing together and it
> disappeared. what am I missing here? Any help would sure be
> appreciated.
> Thanks,,,

Win98 is bad about installing cd drives.. especially Creative 52x Cd Rom
Drives...

Best reason to avoid Win98 these days.. 8 )

Good Luck with your problem.

Philo

"Shoogle" <kjacobs@mts.net> wrote in message
> I have put together this box with a new P/S, VIA Gigapro Motherboard which
> is fine but the CD drive that I installed doesn't show up for Windows! It
> does, however appear in the CMOS setup and is identified in the DOS screen
> on start-up along with the Primary Master HD, it is the Secodary Master
> drive. Seems to be normal (as the other ones I have set up). I've
> checked jumper over and over--and changed them once--then back to
> 'Master'.
> It's an older Yamaha 4416 that was working in another computer ok. I also
> swapped another working Cd into the box with the same results!
> I've gone through the CMOS set-up several times with the manual in hand
> and everything looks normal. Yet Windows doesn't even _see_ the drive so
> it can't have the wrong driver and I can't put the WIN98 Cd in because it
> doesn't see it! Grrrr!
> Funny thing is it _was_ there when I first put this thing together and it
> disappeared. what am I missing here? Any help would sure be
> appreciated.
> Thanks,,,

win98 should not have any problems "seeing" your cdrom...
so there should be no need to use any other OS

next time yoy turn on your machine , hit F5 .
do that right after the bios messages
but just before the OS loads...that should bring you to safe mode.
from there...go into the control panel...system...hardware

and delete all instances of your cdrom

then reboot and hopefully windows will pcik it up ok

in *very rare* instances if i could not get a cdrom detected by windows...
i;ve ended up just installing the dos drivers for it and gotten it
working...
but doing that should not be necessary under normal circumstances

(yes i know...there is no such thing as "normal circumstances" )

Shoogle wrote:
> the CD drive that I installed doesn't show up for
> Windows! It does, however appear in the CMOS setup
> and is identified in the DOS screen on start-up
> along with the Primary Master HD, it is the Secodary
> Master drive.

I've had the same thing happen several times, and I was always rescued
by reactivating the old DOS CD-ROM drivers in the CONFIG.SYS and
AUTOEXEC.BAT files.

In the CONFIG.SYS file you want to see a line like this:

DRIVER=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\OAKCDROM.SYS /D:MSCD000

And in the AUTOEXEC.BAT file you need something like:

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\COMMAND\MSCDEX.EXE /D:MSCD000

Those lines may each have a REM in front, in which case edit out the
REMs.

The paths of the OAKCDROM.SYS and MSCDEX.EXE driver programs may be
different in your system (My own OAKCDROM.SYS file is stored in the
folder C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\COMMAND\EBD). MSCD000 is the name of the CD
drive but can be anything so long as the same name is used for both
driver programs. OAKCDROM.SYS should also be on the Win98 start-up
disk, or your system may have a different driver program, like
TAISATAP.SYS or VIDE-CDD.SYS.

After rebooting, Win98 should show the CD drive, but if not, try
booting again in Safe Mode, remove all mentions of CD drives, reedit
the CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT files to remove the REMs from the
driver file lines, and boot once more.

The Device Manager may show a yellow check mark next to it, and it may
be running in MS-DOS compatibility mode with the DMA turned off.
Reediting the AUTOEXEC.BAT file by putting back the REM in front of the
MSCDEX line and rebooting should eliminate this. It seems to be OK to
leave the CONFIG.SYS file with the OAKCDROM.SYS driver still activated,
but I found that doing this reduces the top speed of the drive by a
lot.

On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 05:40:14 GMT, "Morituri-|-Max"
<newage@sendarico.net> wrote:

>"Shoogle" <kjacobs@mts.net> wrote in message
>>I have put together this box with a new P/S, VIA Gigapro Motherboard which
>> is fine but the CD drive that I installed doesn't show up for Windows! It
>> does, however appear in the CMOS setup and is identified in the DOS screen
>> on start-up along with the Primary Master HD, it is the Secodary Master
>> drive. Seems to be normal (as the other ones I have set up). I've
>> checked jumper over and over--and changed them once--then back to
>> 'Master'.
>> It's an older Yamaha 4416 that was working in another computer ok. I also
>> swapped another working Cd into the box with the same results!
>> I've gone through the CMOS set-up several times with the manual in hand
>> and everything looks normal. Yet Windows doesn't even _see_ the drive so
>> it can't have the wrong driver and I can't put the WIN98 Cd in because it
>> doesn't see it! Grrrr!
>> Funny thing is it _was_ there when I first put this thing together and it
>> disappeared. what am I missing here? Any help would sure be
>> appreciated.
>> Thanks,,,
>
>Win98 is bad about installing cd drives.. especially Creative 52x Cd Rom
>Drives...
>
>Best reason to avoid Win98 these days.. 8 )
>
>Good Luck with your problem.

Nonsense

Are you a troll?

Shoogle wrote:
> I have put together this box with a new P/S, VIA Gigapro Motherboard which
> is fine but the CD drive that I installed doesn't show up for Windows! It
> does, however appear in the CMOS setup and is identified in the DOS screen
> on start-up along with the Primary Master HD, it is the Secodary Master
> drive. Seems to be normal (as the other ones I have set up). I've
> checked jumper over and over--and changed them once--then back to
> 'Master'.
> It's an older Yamaha 4416 that was working in another computer ok. I also
> swapped another working Cd into the box with the same results!
> I've gone through the CMOS set-up several times with the manual in hand
> and everything looks normal. Yet Windows doesn't even _see_ the drive so
> it can't have the wrong driver and I can't put the WIN98 Cd in because it
> doesn't see it! Grrrr!
> Funny thing is it _was_ there when I first put this thing together and it
> disappeared. what am I missing here? Any help would sure be
> appreciated.
> Thanks,,,

I got to ask- is this a SCSI drive?

ive managed to get it detecting by reinstalling windows when it happened to
me recently.

"senn" <trichoglesus@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> ive managed to get it detecting by reinstalling windows when it happened
> me recently.

Yep.. back when I used Win98 that was usually the solution, along with
tracking down various drivers on the internet.. thankfully I no longer have
to do that.. much as I hate microsoft, winxp certainly has simplified the
installation process..

Morituri-|-Max wrote:
> "senn" <trichoglesus@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>ive managed to get it detecting by reinstalling windows when it happened
>>me recently.
>

> Yep.. back when I used Win98 that was usually the solution, along with
> tracking down various drivers on the internet.. thankfully I no longer have
> to do that.. much as I hate microsoft, winxp certainly has simplified the
> installation process..

You can get them to disappear in XP too. Here's one example.

http://www.theeldergeek.com/restore_missing_cd_or_dvd_drive.htm

But that jogged my memory. He only said CD drive but when I googled the
part number it's a CD-RW.

To OP: You don't happen to have multiple burner programs installed do you?
And how about Roxio EZCDCreator? It can happen in versions 4, 5 and 6 (and
maybe they just haven't added 7 to the list yet). Go to roxio and put
"missing drive" into the knowledge base search engine.

Thanks for all your input; appreciate it.
Yes David it _is_ an older CDR burner, but I also tried a regular Sony
drive from another system (old, of course--and Win98 too <g>).
As far as upping to XP I just don't have the finances, etc. as I'm an old
retired ah heck on pension.
I guess I've gotten so used to Windows after all these years I've been
using it.
The only program that was on that Hard drive is Nero from quite a while
back--I dunno maybe will have to re-install Windows.

There might be problem in the data cable that connects the CD ROM to the
Mother Board.
Check if the connection is fine or try changing the cable.

Regards,
Rajesh B.K.

Shoogle wrote:
> Thanks for all your input; appreciate it.
> Yes David it _is_ an older CDR burner, but I also tried a regular Sony
> drive from another system (old, of course--and Win98 too <g>).
> As far as upping to XP I just don't have the finances, etc. as I'm an old
> retired ah heck on pension.
> I guess I've gotten so used to Windows after all these years I've been
> using it.
> The only program that was on that Hard drive is Nero from quite a while
> back--I dunno maybe will have to re-install Windows.

Well, the burner issue isn't drive specific. It has to do with hooks they
put in for the burner software that sometimes cause the drive to disappear.
It's most common when multiple burner programs confuse each other but it
can happen at other times too. Roxio is particular notorious for not
'fixing up' it's own registry entries but nero has a few quirks as well.

I haven't followed all that's been done so this is probably a repeat but if
it's showing in BIOS, which I notice you say it is, then check in device
manager and see if it's showing up there. If it's 'yellow' then remove and
let windows redetect (scan for hardware changes). If it shows there but not
in my computer then it may be a nero problem (especially if you're using
the drag to CD stuff). Remove and reinstall nero.

If none of that works, from the START button select run and type in SFC
<enter>. That's the system file checker and it'll scan for corrupt system
files and will give you the option to restore them from your windows98 CD
if it finds any. It should be noted, that only looks at WINDOWS files and
doesn't fix installed applications.

Some additional tools would be to get tweakUI. Free from microsoft.
http://www.microsoft.com/ntworkstation/downloads/powertoys/networking/nttweakui.asp
In tweakUI you can check to see if the CD drive has been 'deselected' from
being visible.

Another is regclean; a registry cleaner. It doesn't usually 'fix' things
but it removes unnecessary entries so windows work a little faster
(shortens the time windows has to search in order to find things in the
registry) but it can, occasionally, 'fix' things if there are remnants
'left over' from programs.

http://download.com.com/3000-2094-881470.html.

"kony" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message

>>Win98 is bad about installing cd drives.. especially Creative 52x Cd Rom
>>Drives...
>>
>>Best reason to avoid Win98 these days.. 8 )
>>
>>Good Luck with your problem.
>
> Nonsense
>
> Are you a troll?

No, I could just as easily ask if you are an idiot? Or are you just having
a crabby moment?

I assure you I have had quite a few experiences with win98 and creative cd
drives. Really.

"Shoogle" <kjacobs@mts.net> wrote in message
> Thanks for all your input; appreciate it.
> Yes David it _is_ an older CDR burner, but I also tried a regular Sony
> drive from another system (old, of course--and Win98 too <g>).
> As far as upping to XP I just don't have the finances, etc. as I'm an old
> retired ah heck on pension.
> I guess I've gotten so used to Windows after all these years I've been
> using it.
> The only program that was on that Hard drive is Nero from quite a while
> back--I dunno maybe will have to re-install Windows.

you could shift to Linux. download xandros odc for free. :-D

> "Shoogle" <kjacobs@mts.net> wrote in message
>> Thanks for all your input; appreciate it.
>> Yes David it _is_ an older CDR burner, but I also tried a regular Sony
>> drive from another system (old, of course--and Win98 too <g>).
>> As far as upping to XP I just don't have the finances, etc. as I'm an old
>> retired ah heck on pension.
>> I guess I've gotten so used to Windows after all these years I've been
>> using it.
>> The only program that was on that Hard drive is Nero from quite a while
>> back--I dunno maybe will have to re-install Windows.
>>

> you could shift to Linux. download xandros odc for free. :-D

Depending on how old a ah heck he is, he may not live long enough to switch
over and learn how to use linux.. heh

Wow! Sure got a lot of action on this query! Thanks everyone for your
input.
The latest:
Just to recap--I put a VIA Gigapro M.B. in a new box with power supply,
has 256 Meg. SDRAM, used a W.D. Caviar 1.2 G drive that was loaded with
Win98 Plus and the Yamaha CD (CDR) wouldn't show up in Windows Hardware
(Device Mgr.) etc.
Yesterday I fooled around (yes I probably am a Fool) with 1. Starting in
'Safe Mode' where lo' and behold a CDROM is listed in the 'Device Mgr.' so
I thought 'aha' maybe here's the trouble. I actually saw that there were
about 3 extra drivers (Sony ones) listed there so I removed the extra
ones. Then rebooted Win98 regular and there was the CD. I accessed files
from CD's inserted and ran a program from it. 2.Then, I thought I'll just
make sure this is permanent. NOT! When I rebooted again all of it was
gone--no CDROM listing in Dev. Mgr. -- nothin' I guess, next I'll check
what 'larry moe 'n curly' suggest and go into the CONFIG.SYS and
AUTOEXEC.BAT and have a look around. Wish me luck!
TTFN

> You could, but you were the one making sweeping assumptions
> in error.

> Having over a dozen win98 boxes here, ALL with newer CDROMs
> and NONE of them having a problem, I dont' even have to

How nice... however sweeping assumptions aren't only being made by me here..
you say "newer" CDROMS.. I never said the drives I had problems with were
"newer" drives.. I was talking about my experiences with them 4 or 5 years
ago. Out of 6 creative cd rom drives, 4 of them took a serious amount of
time to install as they would refuse to appear intermittently.. which made
it quite impossible to continue with the installation of win98. Also, those
same drives would not appear to win98 after the installation was complete..
you would boot the system, the drive light would come on and stay on, then
would not show up in my computer. Solution was to reboot.

It's very nice that you can have no problems with win98 and "newer" drives.
Just please don't call statements by people who occasionally disagree with
you "nonsense" without knowing the whole story. I don't call your
statements nonsense, please don't do so to me. You aren't the only person on
the planet who has had some experience with windows going back before win98.

Even with all that, the original poster HAS a problem installing an older
drive and his OS is win98, so obviously there ARE drives that do precisely
what he and I both have seen it do. The drive does not show up, either
intermittently or at all. What is nonsense about that?

Thanks and have a good one

On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 16:31:01 GMT, "Morituri-|-Max"
<newage@sendarico.net> wrote:

>How nice... however sweeping assumptions aren't only being made by me here..
>you say "newer" CDROMS.. I never said the drives I had problems with were
>"newer" drives.. I was talking about my experiences with them 4 or 5 years
>ago.

Newer meant drives sold since the original release of Win98,
not contemporary drive models.

>Out of 6 creative cd rom drives, 4 of them took a serious amount of
>time to install as they would refuse to appear intermittently.. which made
>it quite impossible to continue with the installation of win98.

There it is then, you didn't have a problem with Win98, it
was a DOS problem, possibly the DOS driver or ??

> Also, those
>same drives would not appear to win98 after the installation was complete..
>you would boot the system, the drive light would come on and stay on, then
>would not show up in my computer. Solution was to reboot.

I'd have to have the system in front of me to know what was
going on, but it sounds like either hardware
misconfiguration or a defective drive, not a "Creative and
Win98" problem at all.

>It's very nice that you can have no problems with win98 and "newer" drives.
>Just please don't call statements by people who occasionally disagree with
>you "nonsense" without knowing the whole story. I don't call your
>statements nonsense, please don't do so to me. You aren't the only person on
>the planet who has had some experience with windows going back before win98.

Never claimed I was.
That doesn't change the fact that companies get blamed for
things that aren't their fault. I'm no Microsoft fan, and
yet it's pointless to blame any particular product when
there is not a clear fault. Your opening statement wasn't
about Creative drives though, rather Win98 in general and
that was without question, incorrect.

>Even with all that, the original poster HAS a problem installing an older
>drive and his OS is win98, so obviously there ARE drives that do precisely
>what he and I both have seen it do.

This is where your logic fails.

1) OP has a problem with a drive.
2) OS is Win98

#1 doesn't necessarily depend on #2.
#2 may not be intact, a clean install of Win98 and a basic
IDE configuration would be needed to test this. THEN it
would need be tested on another motherboard. Even then
there are other variables. Claiming a problematic
relationship between the two devices is pointless until the
other more common variables/problems have been checked.
It cannot be assumed that (win98 therefore CD drive likely
to be a problem), nor is that a good place to start looking
as the odds are against it being the cause. It may not be
impossible but a specific cause would go a long way towards
that argument, and would isolate which specific drives are
at issue.

>The drive does not show up, either
>intermittently or at all. What is nonsense about that?

The conclusion you drew.
Further, the nonsense about "Best reason to avoid Win98
these days". Win98 has significant resource limits, memory
limits, drive capacity limits, et al- Several reasons a
power users or certain applications or systems might need
something else, but the odds of whether someone would be
able to get an CD drive working isn't usually one of them.
When it happens it's a rarity, suggesting otherwise is, as
I've already state, nonsense.

Shoogle wrote:
> Wow! Sure got a lot of action on this query! Thanks everyone for your
> input.
> The latest:
> Just to recap--I put a VIA Gigapro M.B. in a new box with power supply,
> has 256 Meg. SDRAM, used a W.D. Caviar 1.2 G drive that was loaded with
> Win98 Plus and the Yamaha CD (CDR) wouldn't show up in Windows Hardware
> (Device Mgr.) etc.
> Yesterday I fooled around (yes I probably am a Fool) with 1. Starting in
> 'Safe Mode' where lo' and behold a CDROM is listed in the 'Device Mgr.' so
> I thought 'aha' maybe here's the trouble. I actually saw that there were
> about 3 extra drivers (Sony ones) listed there so I removed the extra
> ones. Then rebooted Win98 regular and there was the CD. I accessed files
> from CD's inserted and ran a program from it. 2.Then, I thought I'll just
> make sure this is permanent. NOT! When I rebooted again all of it was
> gone--no CDROM listing in Dev. Mgr. -- nothin' I guess, next I'll check
> what 'larry moe 'n curly' suggest and go into the CONFIG.SYS and
> AUTOEXEC.BAT and have a look around. Wish me luck!
> TTFN

The thing that sticks out there is the "drive that was loaded with Win98
Plus." If, by that, you mean it was a win98 system that had been installed
on another motherboard and you just swapped the drive over that could be
the problem as even win98 doesn't always automagically discover all the new
hardware on a new motherboard. It's possible it's confused about the
motherboard itself (wrong PnP enumerator, for example) and that confusion
could be preventing it from properly finding the CD drive.

Yes David, you're probably right about that. I guess the best thing to do
is just start over with a re-install of Windows (maybe I should bite the
bullet and go to XP!) Thanks for the suggestion.

Shoogle wrote:

> Yes David, you're probably right about that. I guess the best thing to do
> is just start over with a re-install of Windows (maybe I should bite the
> bullet and go to XP!) Thanks for the suggestion.

Well, you could do a partial check by looking at your system devices in
device manager to see if they look like the right ones for the chipset and,
if not, remove those and let it redected them.

I've had a couple that took going into safe mode and removing virtually all
the devices so they'd get redetected but, even then, it looked like it
might not even work because it had a heck of a time discovering the right
PnP enumerator and, without that, it couldn't find things like the IDE
controller, which meant it operated on the dumb default one that doesn't
know about the second port, which meant no CD to install the right drivers
from... aaaaarg.

The lesson there was to copy the CD's win98 directory to the hard drive so
it can install from there.

What I'd do is copy the win98 directory over and invoke an 'upgrade' from
there. Similar to doing a repair reinstall of XP it'll redetect the devices
during the 'upgrade'. You'll then need to redo Windows updates.

Well, I did try all the good suggestions (I think, all at least). Dev. Mgr.
Config.sys, etc. and thought 'why am I doing all this?' For the fun of it
I guess! Finally decided to do the logical thing and just re-install Win98
from scratch. Of course DOS saw the CD with it's simple driver etc. So...I
just reformatted the drive and started over.
It was an interesting experience tho' Thanks, all, for your suggestions.
Ta Ta KJ