CD Drive not detected by BIOS/Ubuntu

AuburnDusk

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012
My CD Drive is not being detected by the BIOS and it was not being detected by Ubuntu either (one was listed but when I clicked properties it said that it didn't exist, not sure if this is standard for Ubuntu or not).

I already tried setting IDE detect to CD Drive in Bios and all that changed was that I got a "device not compatible with ATAPI" message from the BIOS at startup.

I have tried using a different connector cable and made sure it was seated properly each time but that did not make a difference.

These two things are what I have gleaned from searching google and these forums but they are not the end of the road for me unfortunately, so any troubleshooting advice you can offer would be appreciated.

Dr_JRE

Honorable
Aug 12, 2012
Ensure BIOS setup is configured to auto detect IDE.

If this device is plugged into the end of the IDE cable, make sure the the drives jumper settings are set to Master and not CS (Cable Select)

If the device is plugeed into the middle if the cable make sure the jumper setting is set to Slave and not CS (cable select), and the master device at the end of the cable has it's jumper set to Master. If no drive is plugged into the top end of the IDE cable, move the drive to this end and ensure the jumper settings are set to Master.

Try using a different IDE cable.

Try the device as master with a new IDE cable in the primary IDE slot. if it is still not there, it may be time to look into replacing the drive.