CD drive not recognizing anything...

Am having a problem with the housemate computer. I never use it except to fix
anything they have problems with. Here's the deal...
Housemates go to Reno and bought a computer (an Emachine) from a pawn
shop that a friend owns. Bring it home and everything works just fine.
Machine worked for about 2 months. The other day, they come to me saying the
CD drive isn't working so I check it out. Insert a CD and nothing happens. No
recognition, no whirring, no spinning, nada mucho. I defrag, clean up C:/,
remove two viruses with AVG Antivirus, troubleshot hardware only to find the
message, "this device is working properly", updated Windows XP, looked for a
driver update but said, "no update drivers available",......Any thoughts?
Another thing, they have no virus protection at all. The problem seemed to
happen right about the time we got DSL from SBC. So I thought they might have
recieved a virus. Took care of the two viruses I found and still nothing.

Dead laser on the drive. Replace. Preferably with a DVD burner!
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging