Question cd drive opening by itself for two days

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
Hi, for the past two days my generic cd drive was opening by itself.

however, when check windows, it says the device is working properly.

today on the third day. It somehow fixed itself. Not auto opening anymore. Googled a bit, and saw someone on reddit solved it by simply unplugging the drive and plugging it again - I intend to try this fix if the problem returns.

question: what could have caused this phenomenon? Or a ghost of my passed away relatives or pet could be playing a prank on me (lol - it's eve of halloween here right now. hehe). Seriously now though, could there be something wrong with the sensors of the drive which caused the auto open?

Last edited:
Solution
Windows isn't the most reliable way to find out if its working right or not. It can't really tell.
how old is the drive? hard to troubleshoot if its working again. It could just stop working again.

Colif

Win 11 Master
My last PC had a Blue ray drive but I think I only used it 5 times max. I hadn't made a pc in 8 years prior to it and didn't know people didn't use optical drives any more.
dIkNlFF.jpg

Photo was last time it was plugged in, GPU died around same time
Just a few days later I replaced it with
S1h8vWc.jpg

Current PC doesn't have a spot to put a CD drive in. My intake fans are where it was in the previous case.
cases got thinner since they don't have to support optical or 3.5inch hdd anymore.

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
nice rigs you have there. Is it ok to put the case on top of cloth? first time I saw that setup. Usually, I see the cpu case on top of a bare surface.

anyway, I need a cd drive because regularly purchase original cd's from Cdjapan website. I know music can be acquired from other places on the internet.. but if a show has entertained me, then I feel it's just right to support the creators and buy stuff, so they get some money back. And I like having a physical copy of things that I like. Which is why when putting together my 10600k pc.. once everything was put together, Went to the korean store to ask if they had a cd drive. Could not find a brand new cd drive for sale at the mall, no choice except to go second hand.

some of my cd's.. took pic with cellphone.

all purchased from here. https://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/NEOGDS-568824

___

anyway, I hope the automatic opening and closing of the cd drive does not recur. The korean store is temporarily closed for awhile due to a construction in their place. It's not possible to get another one right now.

Colif

Win 11 Master
nice rigs you have there. Is it ok to put the case on top of cloth? first time I saw that setup. Usually, I see the cpu case on top of a bare surface.
i don't know if its good or bad really. Main reason I do is it hides stains on the box. I don't think it blocks any air.

Top case is different in its interior layout to most cases, it was rotated 90 degrees and the intake is on the bottom of the case, which was held up above the surface by an aluminium bar that wrapped around entire case
YNXmp5m.jpg

So I never had any concern about dust getting in, every fan has its own filter
The top of that case was slightly different to most, since it contains everything that is normally on the back.
gqdP58Z.jpg

Reactions: Tac 25

TRENDING THREADS