I have a HP Pavilion 7975 with XP Pro. My cd player has quit reading any
and all cd's. I know the system can "see" the drive because I can right
click on it in my computer, click on eject, and the door opens. I've tried
every site and patch mentioned I can find and nothing has worked. I've
deleted the drive about 50 times, but that doesn't work either. Help?

Michael,

This sounds like a hardware problem, not the more usual Windows software glitch.

CD-ROM drives are inexpensive. I recommend replacing the apparently failed
drive, rather than attempting any sort of fix, like cleaning it with a CD-ROM
cleaner. There is an outside chance that dust and dirt lodged inside, causing
the failure to read... Ben Myers

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 17:54:26 -0700, "Michael Lechiara" <mlechiara@cox.net>
wrote:

>I have a HP Pavilion 7975 with XP Pro. My cd player has quit reading any
>and all cd's. I know the system can "see" the drive because I can right
>click on it in my computer, click on eject, and the door opens. I've tried
>every site and patch mentioned I can find and nothing has worked. I've
>deleted the drive about 50 times, but that doesn't work either. Help?

Ok, now I've narrowed down the problem. My cd player only recognizes
recorded cd's not factory cd's. That sounds like something I should be able
to control. Anyone?

Recorded CDs as in audio, or as in burned with a CD burner? Factory CDs? Mass
produced?

We're getting closer here. According to the HP web site, the CD ROM drive is
12x8x32x, so it can burn CDs too... Ben Myers

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 17:02:24 -0700, "Michael Lechiara" <mlechiara@cox.net>
wrote:

>Ok, now I've narrowed down the problem. My cd player only recognizes
>recorded cd's not factory cd's. That sounds like something I should be able
>to control. Anyone?

recorded as in burned! by factory, I mean any purchased cd, whether music,
program, whatever... If I put any "burned" cd in the player, it is
recognized... however, my drive shows "empty" when I place any other type
of cd media in the player.

Whoa! That's just the opposite of the symptoms I saw for a long time with older
CD-ROM drives not being able to play CDs burned with a CD burner. Strange!

I'm at a loss as to what to suggest except the blatantly obvious: replace the
drive... Ben Myers

On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 08:29:22 -0700, "Michael Lechiara" <mlechiara@cox.net>
wrote:

>recorded as in burned! by factory, I mean any purchased cd, whether music,
>program, whatever... If I put any "burned" cd in the player, it is
>recognized... however, my drive shows "empty" when I place any other type
>of cd media in the player.

yea, it is strange. It also recognizes blank cd's. It still sounds like
something is just not formatted correctly, but what that might be heaven
knows.
I have a new problem with my Pavilion 7975 as well. My HP Instant Support
won't let me connect online. Apparantly my "current system settings prevent
me from sending an invitiation". I don't know what to change in my system
settings to fix it!