CD/DVD Drive cant read DVD's but can read CD's

MrAugisLTU

Honorable
Apr 15, 2017
Ok. I Have an old Laptop With a CD/DVD Drive. Around 2012 or Even 2014 it read DVD's perfectly.

In 2015 i noticed a virus destroyed my XP Installation. After the first reinstall it couldnt read DVDs anymore. Now it only read CDs. Now after 23!!!! Reinstall's (and yes i counted how much i reinstalled windows) of windows it still dosent work!

Please help i cant watch old DVD Tv shows/movies anymore
My Laptop is a HP Compaq nx6125.

Solution
Oh ...well. Ha! I..don't think I've ever seen quite so many but it could be picking up minor things too and classifying them as threats. Still, that's a hell of a lot. Quite possible something got a bit corrupted, but it could be also just hardware too. If this was a desktop, and that dvd drive was separate, I'd go to the manufacturer's page, find latest firmware and flash the drive with the firmware. But as it's included in the laptop, if there are no official bios even for the laptop, unlikely there will be firmware for the dvd drive. Not sure what else to suggest.

I've checked all the drivers and firmware and updates for your notebook (not sure if you have windows xp 32 or 64 bit) but I also didn't see anything at all to help with...

Sedivy

Estimable
Lol don't just try the same install 23 times. I'd say bios issues. You could try updating bios but as that is a risky procedure I'd leave that as an option if the following doesn't work. Reset your bios by booting into bios (usually keep pressing DEL during startup or some such combo. It'll tell you when it's starting up what key to press to enter setup), and resetting it from there:
https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-clear-cmos-2624545

MrAugisLTU

Honorable
Apr 15, 2017

There are no official bios updates for this laptop

Sedivy

Estimable
That's rather odd. Any chance you remember which virus it was? Maybe it has a specific effect or mode of action or permanently disables stuff but that would be reserved for the nastiest of stuff around. You'd be pretty unlucky to end up with one of those. If you have a log of some sort, or remember the name, write it out so we can check what it does.

Also contact compaq if you can, ask if they have some sort of remedy for this issue. They'd be the ones most likely to have seen this before and know what to do.

MrAugisLTU

Honorable
Apr 15, 2017

Ok. When it still had the original XP Install I remember when i scaned that laptop for viruses when it finished it say'd :
"Theats Found: 4312" Soooooooooo Yea i dont know which one!

Sedivy

Estimable
Oh ...well. Ha! I..don't think I've ever seen quite so many but it could be picking up minor things too and classifying them as threats. Still, that's a hell of a lot. Quite possible something got a bit corrupted, but it could be also just hardware too. If this was a desktop, and that dvd drive was separate, I'd go to the manufacturer's page, find latest firmware and flash the drive with the firmware. But as it's included in the laptop, if there are no official bios even for the laptop, unlikely there will be firmware for the dvd drive. Not sure what else to suggest.

I've checked all the drivers and firmware and updates for your notebook (not sure if you have windows xp 32 or 64 bit) but I also didn't see anything at all to help with the dvd.
There was a diagnostics for windows utility for all hardware configuration and testing which it might be useful to run (under software-system management on the support page downloads), but otherwise, nothing. I'm assuming media card drivers are for something you have that can read some sort of SD card.

Solution