CD/DVD Drive no longer reading DVDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tandar

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
Ok, I've search google for an answer to this problem to no success.

I'm not a newbie when it comes to PCs either, I build my own and repair/troubleshoot others.

For some reason, my computer stopped reading DVDs in the drive. CDs load fine and I can burn to them. I checked the hardware properties and somehow Windows has decided to install a CDROM driver to the device, which is why I believe DVDs are no longer being read. I've tried going through and uninstalling the driver and getting rid of the registry keys assosicated in order for the correct driver to be installed, but Windows keeps installing incorrect ones.

This just happened a few days ago, tried restoring Windows to a week ago and same problem exists. Less than a month ago I used it to install Diablo 3 so I know it works fine. Without completely reinstalling Windows, can anyone come up with a solution?

Windows 7

ASUS DRW-24B1ST is the drive I have (windows is saying it is IDE\CdRomASUS_DRW-24B1ST___a_____________________1.04____ in the properties)

I've tried installing firmware but the ASUS DRW-24B1ST firmware package says it is not seeing the correct drive, and there is no such thing as ASUS DRW-24B1ST a on Asus's site.

The last time it worked was after I installed some new DVD burning software, which I have uninstalled but feel like there are still registry entries that are affecting this. Any way to completely remove the drive from the registry and select my own driver for it?

Thanks for your help

Solution
This can happen when the read head dies. It is a very common occurrence and the drives are very cheap. There are also some issues with Asus motherboards when you update the bios that the drive doesn't read anymore ( I have had this happen myself). Flashing to an older bios fixed that but isn't really a solution.

Deleting upper/lower filters may solve it.
http://www.ehow.com/how_8329667_clear-upper-lower-registry-filters.html

Tandar

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
Actually, there is now an upper filter there.

It is called GEARAspiWDM

I also remember seeing something in the driver details saying:

C:\windows\system32\drivers\GEARAspiWDM.sys

This GEAR thing I don't know where it came from but can I completely get rid of it somehow?

Tandar

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012

Honestly, it seems incredibly odd that all it would need is cleaning when it was just working.

I still feel like the problem lies with the driver Windows keeps installing (a CD-ROM driver) as blank CDs and music CDs can be read and wrote to perfectly fine.

This can happen when the read head dies. It is a very common occurrence and the drives are very cheap. There are also some issues with Asus motherboards when you update the bios that the drive doesn't read anymore ( I have had this happen myself). Flashing to an older bios fixed that but isn't really a solution.

Solution

Gear Software Inc - That was installed by your CD burning software. Keep it.

Tandar

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
Don't see why I should spend $20 on something that I know works, just has the wrong driver.

Can anyone help me locate the correct driver for ASUS DRW-24B1ST? And how to keep Windows from automatically installing (ASUS DRW-24B1ST a) driver [which is stated to be a CD-ROM driver instead of CD/DVD-ROM]

Change your windows update options to down load, you choose when to update, then do custom install to view what is being updated.

If you can't get it from ASUS, then I don't know how to locate the correct driver

bpnbm

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2009
I have to agree with 'Ahnilated'. It's funny sometimes how Drivers can go just as your changing a software issue. Always good to have an extra burner laying around. You could drive yourself crazy over something so simple (no pun intended)

Tandar

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
Easily purchasing something is only easy if you have money. I would rather not spend $20 when I know where the problem lies and will search for a fix, or reinstall windows.

Tandar

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
Tried the drive on 2 other computers, both did not read DVDs.

Guess the drive is actually dead, which I find really odd after it worked a few days ago.

Oh well, ordered a new one, hope it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.