cd/dvd drive not detected after upgrade to windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

silversleeper

Distinguished
May 19, 2014
Yesterday, Friday 7, 2015 I upgraded by computer to the Windows 10 operating system from Windows 7. Since then, however, my CD/DVD drive is not detected and/or recognized.

The icon on my device manager has a icon of Media with a ? mark on it and when I click on it blank.

I have looked under Device Manager for the CD/DVD drive, and there's nothing there.

What happened, and how do I fix it?

silversleeper

Distinguished
May 19, 2014
Thank-you guys I'll give #5 a go first and if it doesn't I'll try to download the cd/dvd driver..

Adam-B

Reputable
Aug 28, 2015

Resolution 5 also worked for me. Most manufacturers are now saying that they don't supply drivers for optical drives anymore because windows supports them natively.

Looks like they do, but they need to update their discovery mechanism

389poncho

Honorable
Feb 1, 2014
Mornin',
Just got this Microsoft fix from my Dell community. This is assuming you have a good, working drive:

Go into device manager, under IDE ATA/ATAPI, uninstall both channels 0 and 1. Reboot immediately. When it reloads, your lost DVD player should now be there. It worked great for me, and I was getting so tired of trying everything.
bestalucktoyou
Mike

TimmyGamer81

Reputable
Oct 4, 2015

Although I was sketchy with this I tried it anyways. Lo and behold it worked. Thanks for sharing 389poncho.

Pinkjez___

Reputable
Dec 25, 2015

This worked for me thankyou! Non techy girl, saved christmas for the kid playing sims 4. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.