CD/DVD drive not reading discs at all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luna_Solara

Honorable
Sep 13, 2013
I don't really understand much about computers, but my computer's (windows 7) disc drive won't read anything! And I don't know what to do!

Solution
Ok. Then see if it will read either CD or DVD. If it reads neither, or just reads one or the other, then the laser is gone and you will need to replace the drive.
Hi. First Try CD then DVD. If one wil read and the other not, then you need to replace the drive. DVD an CD are on two different wave links so it is possible that it would read one and not the other.

One thing to check, if you are comfortable working in the registry:
1.Click Start
2.Type regedit, and then click OK.

User Access Control permissionIf you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.
3.In the navigation pane, locate and then click the following registry subkey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

4.In the right pane, click UpperFilters.

Note You may also see an UpperFilters.bak registry entry. You do not have to remove that entry. Click UpperFilters only. If you do not see the UpperFilters registry entry, you still might have to remove the LowerFilters registry entry. To do this, go to step 8.
5.On the Edit menu, click Delete.
6.When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.
7.In the right pane, click LowerFilters.

Note If you do not see the LowerFilters registry entry, unfortunately this cannot help you any further.
8.On the Edit menu, click Delete.
9..When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.
10.Exit Registry Editor.
11.Restart the computer

monkakka

Honorable
Dec 13, 2013

So many of you guys give this very useless information. Just because windows fix cant fix any thing bar the most simple issues it does not mean the drive is faulty. I have discovered that this is an all too common problem with windows 7. After 3 days constant searching and trying all the various suggestions with no resolve. I even did a clean install of windows 7 and tried 3 different dvd devices that were all working, no joy. I ended up talking to a windows engineer live on line who insisted he could fix this problem with remote control with my computer while I watch. The money he required was not acceptable for fixing what I thought should be repaired for free. He wanted $99. probably over £50. Do not waste your time and money trying any of the recommendations that will only waste many hours, only to discover the people recommending them do not understand the problem. When Microsoft can do it in minuets on line for a cost just proves it. I will give you the cure for this problem that will not waste your time. On ebay buy an external dvd drive. I paid £11 for mine. I plugged it in the usb port and it worked. So simple it realy pisses me off how people including Microsoft wasted 3 solid days of my time with nothing but bullshit.

rahul132001

Reputable
Apr 8, 2014
I tried your method but there was neither upperfilter nor lowerfilter and then also my cd
or dvd is not being detected. That is not cd/dvd drive!

I tried your method but there was neither upperfilter nor lowerfilter and then also my cd
or dvd is not being detected. That is not cd/dvd drive!

Gray Lee-Green

Reputable
May 14, 2014

First to try should be a CD/DVD lens cleaning disc - It solved the problem I had with the drive reading some discs but not others.
Simples

Teik

Honorable
Dec 10, 2013

Teik

Honorable
Dec 10, 2013
I tried everything I found on the net short of re installing Vista Home- no filters in the registry- shows up in device manager, deleted and reinstalled drivers, cleaned drive, etc etc .

I bought USB DVD drive and there is still no media detected.

Problem occurred when I was installing a DVD copy program I downloaded from a legitimate site. There was a program which was downloaded at the same (which I opted not to download but it did anyway) and it started scanning for errors and cleaned the registry at the same time I was installing the copy program.

External hard disks are unaffected. Without the DVD drive can I copy the vista installation dvd into a external hard drive?

Teik

Honorable
Dec 10, 2013

I did download that fix but Avast anti virus blocked it from running. Thanks anyway.

Mar 29, 2015

Sailorondatea

Reputable
May 7, 2014
I got an LG GSA-H55N super multi DVD RW. It was working fine on my P4 machine but I disassembled that electric stove. For years it just laid in a corned inside a box, in a good condition. Today I got my IDE-SATA 2 USB2 adapter and connected it to my laptop. Right now I power up with a pc psu (12+5V).
I have windows 7 64bit and it recognized everything. it shows as DVD RW in explorer, its name is correct in device manager, but under properties page of device manager it appears as CD-ROM device in destription(name still correct but description wrong i think, this is not ROM drive)
then
it won't detect any disc. Yes DVD kind or CD kind, nothing works. It does however spin up and try to read it. I can tell from the lights and voices coming from it but windows shows there is no cd or i get error messages like mediatype can not be read by MS repair tool.
with dBpoweramp CDripper I tried to RIP an audio CD that I already ripped on another drive and I got a strange result:
after a number of open/close tray attempts it could read that there is a CD and tracks listed however when i clicked "rip it" it went too fast!! but disc wasn't spinning that fast! That is suspicious!!!
I also flashed and tried different firmware versions from UK site(just in case region issue, mine was compatible with UK) results didnt alter.
After posting this i will boot on linux and see if it works.
This is really annoying issue because this device was working just fine and I don't want to buy a new device if it is just because of some shitty software for something I don't use often anymore...

NicoleHillAuthor

Reputable
Jun 26, 2015
I had the same problem after upgrading to Windows 7, I purchased a Sony Imagination studio for my son and the DVD Rom would not read it. It would still read DVD's but not the Sony installation disc. I went through every fix I could find online short of Replacement. I finally went to Dell's website and downloaded support assist. This program checks your entire computer for issues. Drivers, speed, everything. I noticed that my DVD Rom passed the test but it was reading as a CD Rom, not a DVD Rom. On the Diagnostics page that pops up, there are different sections for different issues. There was a a part that said to Download Microsoft Fix it to test Optical drives. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/mats/cd_dvd_drive_problems I downloaded and ran the fix and sure enough, My Sony Imagination Studio popped up and started downloading. Finally.

Oxygene1841

Commendable
Aug 8, 2016

Tweaking.com download the program and run in safe mode,let it sort all the registry values and what not it worked for me,then shut down and boot up again hey presto....

1Box

Commendable
Nov 7, 2016

about this yes if u can get the iso file of vista or any other windows os from download then burn it to disc or flash usb

Status
Not open for further replies.