[SOLVED] CD/DVD ROM not working

RajTech King

Prominent
Jul 21, 2017
I have an Acer TravelMate laptop. Its CD/DVD player/ROM is not working. There are no lights, it does not opens with the eject button and doesn't even shows anything like F: Drive in This PC.

It can be opened by putting a pin in eject hole but it doesn't fixes the problem. I am using Windows 8.1. Please help me.

Solution
I think you're going to need a new drive.

The drive is connected to the motherboard via a soft ribbon cable. Unless the case has been opened it's unlikely that has become detached or damaged. It's more likely that the drive has died. They are not very expensive. A quick look on eBay showed several results from $20 - $40

If you're concerned about buying a drive and it still doesn't work, if you don't know anyone competent at pulling apart laptops, then you're going to have to go to a repair shop.

I've seen a couple of these die. I had one a year or so ago that did the same thing as yours. Pulling the bottom cover was not fun.

Tanyac

Reputable
I think you're going to need a new drive.

The drive is connected to the motherboard via a soft ribbon cable. Unless the case has been opened it's unlikely that has become detached or damaged. It's more likely that the drive has died. They are not very expensive. A quick look on eBay showed several results from $20 - $40

If you're concerned about buying a drive and it still doesn't work, if you don't know anyone competent at pulling apart laptops, then you're going to have to go to a repair shop.

I've seen a couple of these die. I had one a year or so ago that did the same thing as yours. Pulling the bottom cover was not fun.

Solution