[SOLVED] CD player acting really really weird ?

forzahorizon3guy

Honorable
Apr 6, 2018
Ok so I burned some CD's to use in a CD player its a very old CD player, a Emerson CD175A so 80's possibly 70's, its ancient but still works
So wierd thing I just burned some CD's I put one in and it played. Then i let that disc play it played completely perfectly (I mean completely and perfectly as in it played the entire disc beginning to end, i sat there and listened to it as background music for the entire run time, never skipped or had trouble or anything ) just like any old CD

But now I go to switch the CD's for another that i burned and it refuses to play it. So i went back and tried the first disc which it played completely and perfectly but now it refuses to play that disc it happily played without trouble just minutes earlier?

So i tested the discs in another old CD player a slightly newer but still pre-mp3 so strictly CD no MP3 encoding or anything fancy, they played the discs just fine so i thought the CD player broke, but no. I put a old Philips lens cleaning disc in it and it plays just fine, just like the first burned disc did, I then swapped it out for the original CD the original burned CD, and once again it refuses to play. Weirder still, its able to read the CD due to it being able to read the amount of tracks on them, but once again it just sits there doing nothing.

Has anyone else ever experienced anything like this? and does anyone know how to fix this? or have any tips?

Solution
The Emerson CD175A is probably failing.

This player?

https://www.searspartsdirect.com/model/3xdn3i23nx-000352/emerson-cd175-cd-player-parts

Intermittent issues with playing or not playing any given CD (when nothing else has been changed) is a sign that the CD player (already quite past its' prime) is likely to go at any time.

Especially if all the CD's (originals, copies, etc.) play without problems when another player is used.

I would not expect that much can be done to fix the player considering its age.

If anything you might be able to open it up and find something "loose" perhaps.

Overall risk being that the player get damaged during that effort or otherwise cannot be reassembled.

However, nothing to lose by trying...

Ralston18

Titan
The Emerson CD175A is probably failing.

This player?

https://www.searspartsdirect.com/model/3xdn3i23nx-000352/emerson-cd175-cd-player-parts

Intermittent issues with playing or not playing any given CD (when nothing else has been changed) is a sign that the CD player (already quite past its' prime) is likely to go at any time.

Especially if all the CD's (originals, copies, etc.) play without problems when another player is used.

I would not expect that much can be done to fix the player considering its age.

If anything you might be able to open it up and find something "loose" perhaps.

Overall risk being that the player get damaged during that effort or otherwise cannot be reassembled.

However, nothing to lose by trying.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

Solution