News CD Projekt RED Confirms Next "The Witcher" Game Will Use Unreal Engine 5

washmc

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2014
"...both we and Epic see this as a long-term, fulfilling tech partnership. "

Does anyone else wonder if this will have any impact on their GOG store? Epic recently buying bandcamp and wanting to be their own powerful ecosystem I'm just wondering if GOG merging into Epic is part of the "long-term" part of their "fulfilling ... partnership."

I'm just wondering if GOG merging into Epic is part of the "long-term" part of their "fulfilling ... partnership."
God I hope not.

I've been making it a point to not get into the EGS ecosystem (for admittedly petty reasons). If I have to use EGS to access my GoG collection, I'm downloading my entire collection before it goes through. Or worse, Epic stomps all over the whole "DRM free" aspect of GoG.

Reactions: salgado18
"...both we and Epic see this as a long-term, fulfilling tech partnership. "

Does anyone else wonder if this will have any impact on their GOG store? Epic recently buying bandcamp and wanting to be their own powerful ecosystem I'm just wondering if GOG merging into Epic is part of the "long-term" part of their "fulfilling ... partnership."

I don't think GoG will ever merge with Epic EGS. EGS like steam still have some sort of DRM on top of publisher own DRM. The very existence of GoG is to sell games completely without any DRM. That's why majority of triple A games did not land on GoG.

DonQuixoteIII

Commendable
Aug 16, 2021
This is a sad day for games in general. The Red Engine had such good physics, the engine was quite easy to understand and mod for... And for CDProjectRed to partner with Epic, well... the less said the better.

Witcher 4 will probably have the fewest mods of any title in the franchise.

This is a sad day for games in general. The Red Engine had such good physics, the engine was quite easy to understand and mod for... And for CDProjectRed to partner with Epic, well... the less said the better.

Every game developer that use UE is Epic "partner".

salgado18

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007

Mod-wise, I agree. I also like independent efforts, it shields them of other's bad decisions, and gives them the freedom to take any direction they want.

However, the techs teased by UE5 are way too good to turn a blind eye to. Developing those in-house would probably be too expensive, and by looking at how hard it was to make new stuff for Cyberpunk 2077 (I mean features they never had to do, like car physics, crowds, police, things that the Witcher series didn't have), I kind of get why they considered the change.

Here's hoping they can keep their principles and modding support even with the new tools.

I don't think GoG will ever merge with Epic EGS. EGS like steam still have some sort of DRM on top of publisher own DRM. The very existence of GoG is to sell games completely without any DRM. That's why majority of triple A games did not land on GoG.
That's not quite true, they both OFFER additional DRM on top of whatever but it's not forced upon all the games by default, there are games that you can run downloaded from both steam or epic that will run happily without starting either steam or epic.
(like slay the spire or 20xx , let alone all the "retro" stuff that uses dosbox or scummVM where they can't add any DRM no matter how much they want to)

...That's why majority of triple A games did not land on GoG.
Not true at all. Many, many AAA games find their way onto GoG...eventually. It's just usually not at release or within the first year.

I think CDPR also confirmed that it's a 'Lynx' Witcher medallion. Looks like we're going Cat School in the next game!
I was late to the Witcher games, only jumping in full steam in 2019, but TW3 is definitely one of the best open-world RPG games ever created. CDPR is gonna need a pole to vault over the bar set by TW3. I'm kinda glad they learned their lessons on how NOT to rush game production with CP2077.

Not true at all. Many, many AAA games find their way onto GoG...eventually. It's just usually not at release or within the first year.

I think CDPR also confirmed that it's a 'Lynx' Witcher medallion. Looks like we're going Cat School in the next game!
I was late to the Witcher games, only jumping in full steam in 2019, but TW3 is definitely one of the best open-world RPG games ever created. CDPR is gonna need a pole to vault over the bar set by TW3. I'm kinda glad they learned their lessons on how NOT to rush game production with CP2077.

I agree 100% on the bold part!

salgado18

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
So this will be another EPIC store only title?.. If thats so, that sucks big time.
Can't find the source again, but they stated that it is a technological partnership only, so it won't be EPIC exclusive. Also, with CD Projekt owning GoG, it will at least be sold there, right? Like they did with Cyberpunk 2077, Steam and GoG on day one, I think EPIC followed some time after.

TRENDING THREADS