News CD Projekt Red Hackers Allegedly Already Auctioning Leaked Source Files

CerianK

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
Almost 20 years ago, I was encouraged by a group to look into an individual that was making threats. It seemed an impossible task, but eventually I focused on some misspellings that seemed only possible from a good typist that has carpal-tunnel issues. I was able to match that information to posts in other forums, identify the person, where he lived, and even deduce his motive. I replied to the individual publicly, using his first name only, and all threats ceased thereafter.

Actually kind of thrilling... but not enough to make me quit my day job.

Makaveli

Splendid
Almost 20 years ago, I was encouraged by a group to look into an individual that was making threats. It seemed an impossible task, but eventually I focused on some misspellings that seemed only possible from a good typist that has carpal-tunnel issues. I was able to match that information to posts in other forums, identify the person, where he lived, and even deduce his motive. I replied to the individual publicly, using his first name only, and all threats ceased thereafter.

Actually kind of thrilling... but not enough to make me quit my day job.

Old school detective work there well done.

Sounds like something I would to.

Feb 10, 2021
Forgive my stupidity, but who would buy this? What would they do with it? I can see someone in a 3rd world country with almost no copyright laws(or China)but wouldn't it be simple to figure out someone was using this code for something else?

Reactions: dmoros78v
As usual the H@xORs are not that smart when it comes to greed. The only people who need game code that have that cash are competing studios and they wouldn't be caught dead with it as a simple reverse compile of any code would instantly reveal the stolen source

And you never ever give into hacker demands ever. It will not encouraged them to do more. And they were untrustworthy to begin with. So you can't take them at their word.

Last edited:

PapaCrazy

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011
Who would want to have gamers as their customer base? And at the same time, who wants to buy unfinished games released for the sake of investors? The entire community, market, culture... the whole thing is a bubbling toxic stew.

I won't call myself a gamer anymore. I associate the word "gamer" now with overpriced motherboards, tacky LEDs, bi-polar kids cussing at each over garbled mics, raging chauvinism, charlatan developers, and the kind of mentally imbalanced pettiness highlighted in this article.

D

Deleted member 14196

LOL they are going to get anybody to buy that. Who would want that giant mess of bugs anyway

gg83

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2015
Who or what type of organization would pay for the source code? Maybe CDPR is making it up for publicity? Or release the code and let the community fix everything? Im Just kidding but serious at the same time

blacknemesist

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2012
Who or what type of organization would pay for the source code? Maybe CDPR is making it up for publicity? Or release the code and let the community fix everything? Im Just kidding but serious at the same time

Since the attack the stocks of CDPR have dropped after having recooped due to Elon Musk tweet and something else so no publicity, at least not the kind that you want.

gg83

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2015
Since the attack the stocks of CDPR have dropped after having recooped due to Elon Musk tweet and something else so no publicity, at least not the kind that you want.
Good point. It bothers me that one person, although very smart, is able to influence the market with a few tweets. Bitcoin, Dogecoin, etc....

GenericUser

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2010
...an individual that was making threats. It seemed an impossible task, but eventually I focused on some misspellings that seemed only possible from a good typist that has carpal-tunnel issues...

WoWSouthpark.jpg