Cd Rom Drive Disappeared, CODE 41

Hi guys,
I recently purchased a brand new HP laptop and about 2 weeks into it my Cd
Rom disappeared. It will open, but not run cds or show up through my
computer, only device manager. It displays CODE 41 and says the latest
driver was detected, but not the device. Any help would be greatly
appreciated!

Ricky

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2003

Have a look here..
http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/35761/

"Jeff C" <JeffC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| Hi guys,
| I recently purchased a brand new HP laptop and about 2 weeks into it
my Cd
| Rom disappeared. It will open, but not run cds or show up through
my
| computer, only device manager. It displays CODE 41 and says the
latest
| driver was detected, but not the device. Any help would be greatly
| appreciated!

Goto http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpcd.php#problems
See the second "problem" (read the caveats)
Run the provided registry patch

That should fix your problem (basically, a filter driver is missing or
non-operational, the registry patch will delete the filter drivers
references for your cdrom(s))

Basically, the reg file from above carries out the steps displayed at this
website

CD-ROM Drive or DVD-ROM Drive Missing After You Install Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320553

CD-ROM Access Is Missing and Messages Cite Error Code 31, Code 32, Code 19,
or Code 39 After You Remove Easy CD Creator in Windows XP

(It'll fix code 41 errors too as per the contents of the last kb article)

--
Gary Tsang
Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Shell/User