CD-ROM Drive Missing; Not due to filters

My CD-ROM and CDR drives have disappeared like many others randomly one day.
They do not show up in my computer, and they will not read any cds either.
Only the CD-ROM appears in Device manager and shows no errors. It says the
device is working properly. All drivers are up to date. Windows was
re-installed and the problem remained. There are no issues with upper or
lowerfilter registry values either. Doug Knox's fix did not work and neither
did the nocdrom.exe either. I have tried reinstalling the drives and IDE's
and neither worked. I additionally physically reinstalled the drives as well
and still nothing. How do I get the drives to show back up?

Sometimes you need to install the motherbaord chipset drivers. These
drivers could help with controls for the on-board devices and IRQs.

"Hog" <Hog@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My CD-ROM and CDR drives have disappeared like many others randomly one
> day.
> They do not show up in my computer, and they will not read any cds either.
> Only the CD-ROM appears in Device manager and shows no errors. It says the
> device is working properly. All drivers are up to date. Windows was
> re-installed and the problem remained. There are no issues with upper or
> lowerfilter registry values either. Doug Knox's fix did not work and
> neither
> did the nocdrom.exe either. I have tried reinstalling the drives and IDE's
> and neither worked. I additionally physically reinstalled the drives as
> well
> and still nothing. How do I get the drives to show back up?

I do not think that would be the reason. If it were so than the drives would
never have been detected in the first place. They were there for a long time
and then just vanished. I will give that a try though, but where would I
download these drivers at?

Hog wrote:

| I do not think that would be the reason. If it were so than the drives
| would never have been detected in the first place. They were there
| for a long time and then just vanished. I will give that a try though,
| but where would I download these drivers at?

When you right-click My Computer and select Manage, you bring up a Computer
Management Box.

Look down under the Storage branch of the tree and click on Disk Management.
Look in the lower right corner of the box and see if you can see your
optical drives. If they are there with no drive letter assigned, right
click on them to bring up the options menu and select the option to assign a
drive letter.

Hopefully this helps.

Jef

The CD drives are not showing up under disk management.