cd-rom Missing

henry

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2003

My Cd-rom does not show up in ME.
I used boot disk and it does appear in DOS/BIOS at startup.

In my hardware Device Manager...My PC shows a '!' problem w/IDE controller.

Tried Q189526... but cd-rom still not showing.
I disabled 2nd ide channel & put HDisk and cd-rom on primary ide as slave-cd
master-hdisk.

OS is ME, PII-450, 160MB, SE440BX motherboard, Lite-On CD-RW
My USB storage device does not show in explorer either...may be related issue.

I think it may be the registry or the '!' on my IDE controller in device
manager

Suggestions?

Replies in-line:-

"henry" wrote in message
> My Cd-rom does not show up in ME.

Is this a 'new' problem or has never 'shown up'?

> I used boot disk and it does appear in DOS/BIOS at startup.

Are you able to 'read' a CD in Real Mode DOS?

> In my hardware Device Manager...My PC shows a '!' problem w/IDE
> controller.

Does the CD-ROM show in Device Manager in both Safe and Normal Modes. If so,
'Remove' it and re-boot to redetect and re-install the driver.

> Tried Q189526... but cd-rom still not showing.

Hence my first question - Is this a 'new' problem or has never 'shown up'
and the reference to Q190303 and its section on 'Known Issues'

> I disabled 2nd ide channel & put HDisk and cd-rom on primary ide as
> slave-cd
> master-hdisk.

Not too sure what you mean here as you don't say what the set-up was
before - presumably HDD as master on controller #1 (primary) and CD-ROM as
master on controller #2 (secondary)

> OS is ME, PII-450, 160MB, SE440BX motherboard, Lite-On CD-RW
> My USB storage device does not show in explorer either...may be related
> issue.

May/may not - worry about that later <g>

> I think it may be the registry or the '!' on my IDE controller in device
> manager

Hence the earlier suggestion to 'Remove' it and let WinMe re-detect it.

Might even be worth considering temporarily replacing your CD-RW with a
cheap CD-ROM, just for elimination purposes - you can always include it as a
second CD drive afterwards <g>

Mart

Henry must resolve the IDE hard disk controller problem before any storage
device problems can be resolved.
I suspect his System Properties/tab=Performance shows the system is in
ms-dos compatibility mode, not 32-bit mode, also.
These issues are related,i.e., have the same cause.

Confirm that the BIOS is configured to enable both IDE channels. Choose the
"Use both channels" option, not the "Auto" choice, for clarity.
Boot to Safe Mode and remove the parent IDE controller device. When it is
removed, both daughter devices should disappear. If not, they must be
removed manually in the registry, at HKLM\ENUM\....
Then reboot to Normal Mode, letting Windows PNP detect the IDE controller
firmware and install the Windows drivers.
This will resolve most problems.

Check all cabling and jumpering of HD's, and consider a replacement of the
IDE cable if no improvement occurs.
----

MS-DOS Compatibility Mode Problems with PCI-IDE Controllers [Q151911]
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q151/9/11.asp

Troubleshooting MS-DOS Compatibility Mode on Hard Disks [Q130179]
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q130/1/79.asp
---

Chris Quirke
http://users.iafrica.com/c/cq/cquirke/doscompat.htm

In Memorium: Alex Nichol
Your cooperation is very appreciated.
------
"Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
> Replies in-line:-
>
> "henry" wrote in message
> > My Cd-rom does not show up in ME.
>
> Is this a 'new' problem or has never 'shown up'?
>
> > I used boot disk and it does appear in DOS/BIOS at startup.
>
> Are you able to 'read' a CD in Real Mode DOS?
>
> > In my hardware Device Manager...My PC shows a '!' problem w/IDE
> > controller.
>
> Does the CD-ROM show in Device Manager in both Safe and Normal Modes. If
so,
> 'Remove' it and re-boot to redetect and re-install the driver.
>
> > Tried Q189526... but cd-rom still not showing.
>
> Hence my first question - Is this a 'new' problem or has never 'shown up'
> and the reference to Q190303 and its section on 'Known Issues'
>
> > I disabled 2nd ide channel & put HDisk and cd-rom on primary ide as
> > slave-cd
> > master-hdisk.
>
> Not too sure what you mean here as you don't say what the set-up was
> before - presumably HDD as master on controller #1 (primary) and CD-ROM as
> master on controller #2 (secondary)
>
> > OS is ME, PII-450, 160MB, SE440BX motherboard, Lite-On CD-RW
> > My USB storage device does not show in explorer either...may be related
> > issue.
>
> May/may not - worry about that later <g>
>
> > I think it may be the registry or the '!' on my IDE controller in device
> > manager
>
> Hence the earlier suggestion to 'Remove' it and let WinMe re-detect it.
>
> Might even be worth considering temporarily replacing your CD-RW with a
> cheap CD-ROM, just for elimination purposes - you can always include it as
> second CD drive afterwards <g>
>
> Mart

henry

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2003

It is a new problem. I have tried 3 different drives that work in other
computers.
I can read a cd in real dos mode.

I booted in safe mode... it showed to cd-roms installed... I deleted both of
them & restarted

"henry" wrote:

> My Cd-rom does not show up in ME.
> I used boot disk and it does appear in DOS/BIOS at startup.
>
> In my hardware Device Manager...My PC shows a '!' problem w/IDE controller.
>
> Tried Q189526... but cd-rom still not showing.
> I disabled 2nd ide channel & put HDisk and cd-rom on primary ide as slave-cd
> master-hdisk.
>
> OS is ME, PII-450, 160MB, SE440BX motherboard, Lite-On CD-RW
> My USB storage device does not show in explorer either...may be related issue.
>
> I think it may be the registry or the '!' on my IDE controller in device
> manager
>
> Suggestions?

henry

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2003

That was the problem...ms-dos compatibility mode!
My registry did not say NOIDE like the article stated.

I reinstalled WinMe and I am now in 32-bit mode and all is well.

THANK YOU!

"Jack E Martinelli" wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > > I disabled 2nd ide channel & put HDisk and cd-rom on primary ide as
> > > slave-cd
> > > master-hdisk.
> >
> > Not too sure what you mean here as you don't say what the set-up was
> > before - presumably HDD as master on controller #1 (primary) and CD-ROM as
> > master on controller #2 (secondary)
> >
> > > OS is ME, PII-450, 160MB, SE440BX motherboard, Lite-On CD-RW
> > > My USB storage device does not show in explorer either...may be related
> > > issue.
> >
> > May/may not - worry about that later <g>
> >
> > > I think it may be the registry or the '!' on my IDE controller in device
> > > manager
> >
> > Hence the earlier suggestion to 'Remove' it and let WinMe re-detect it.
> >
> > Might even be worth considering temporarily replacing your CD-RW with a
> > cheap CD-ROM, just for elimination purposes - you can always include it as

Happy to have helped, Henry.
"henry" <henry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> That was the problem...ms-dos compatibility mode!
> My registry did not say NOIDE like the article stated.
>
> I reinstalled WinMe and I am now in 32-bit mode and all is well.
>
> THANK YOU!
>
> "Jack E Martinelli" wrote:
>
> > Henry must resolve the IDE hard disk controller problem before any
storage
> > device problems can be resolved.
> > I suspect his System Properties/tab=Performance shows the system is in
> > ms-dos compatibility mode, not 32-bit mode, also.
> > These issues are related,i.e., have the same cause.
> >
> > Confirm that the BIOS is configured to enable both IDE channels. Choose
the
> > "Use both channels" option, not the "Auto" choice, for clarity.
> > Boot to Safe Mode and remove the parent IDE controller device. When it
is
> > removed, both daughter devices should disappear. If not, they must be
> > removed manually in the registry, at HKLM\ENUM\....
> > Then reboot to Normal Mode, letting Windows PNP detect the IDE
controller
> > firmware and install the Windows drivers.
> > This will resolve most problems.
> >
> > Check all cabling and jumpering of HD's, and consider a replacement of
the
> > IDE cable if no improvement occurs.
> > ----
> >
> > MS-DOS Compatibility Mode Problems with PCI-IDE Controllers [Q151911]
> > http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q151/9/11.asp
> >
> > Troubleshooting MS-DOS Compatibility Mode on Hard Disks [Q130179]
> > http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q130/1/79.asp
> > ---
> >
> > Chris Quirke
> > http://users.iafrica.com/c/cq/cquirke/doscompat.htm
> >
> > --
> > Jack E. Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP for Shell/User / DTS
> > Help us help you: http://www.dts-L.org/goodpost.htm
> > In Memorium: Alex Nichol
> > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexperts/nichol.mspx
> > Your cooperation is very appreciated.
> > ------

<SNIP>

Hi Jack,

I think I have the same issue as Henry and I have tried the steps that you
suggested but I need to know where exactly in the registry do I delete the
daughter devices. It won't do it automatically and I don't see them listed
anywhere and I certainly don't want to guess on this one. I also have an
exclamation point on my floppy disk controller. Do I delete that as well?
Is there anything else that I need to do in the registry or elsewhere other
than what you told Henry?

Thanks so much all of you for the wonderful help, Laura.