cd-rom no there

evil_homer

Distinguished
May 29, 2001
As the subject suggest I have a problem with windows seeing cd-roms. I've tryed several cd-rom drives, with no result. The problem occured with no warning and no good reason. The rig is not mine, but the person who owns it tells me that nothing was done to it that should of caused this problem. Hardware looks good. IDE chains are all good, IDE ports are working. I know because I tryed the hard drive on the one that the cd-rom was on. Can't think of anything that would cause this. I even tryed some generic cd-rom drivers with no luck. The rig is:

AMD 800mhz T-bird
mobo with VIA kt133 chipset
Voodoo 3 3000
Netgear 10/100 NIC
Generic Cd-rom drive (dosen't matter tryed several drives)
Win 98 SE

Can't think of anything.
Any ideas?

Thanks

Keyboard not found press F5 to continue

G

Evil Homer,
Found this at hardware central. Hope it helps:

Some drives require that there be a CD in the drive when Windows loads. Either that, or check the cables and hookups to be sure they are secure. You can also make sure MSCDEX.EXE is installed on your system and that your AUTOEXEC.BAT file loads it during bootup. Many systems have been seen where the user installed the CD-ROM with the disk but it wouldn't work simply because MSCDEX.EXE wasn't around. If all is well, Windows should detect the new hardware.