CD ROM scratch my CD??

Chooco

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2001
let me give the whole story here:
i've been sleeping strange patters since its a holiday and i went to bed at 12 noon. before i went to bed i unplugged the internet cable to my computer so nothing could interupt the defrag process. i woke up at 6PM and my bro was goin out after playing Diablo2 on the other computer (that CD was in my computer to start). i put the CD in my computer then start playing and i notice the lights on the front of my computer light up bright indicating the power consumption is very high yet the game is loading very very slow. i took the CD out of the drive and saw it was all scratched to hell.

my question is, is it possible at ALL for the CD ROM in my computer or my bro's computer to scratch a CD or is that completely impossible and out of the question? i gotta know whether i can start acusing him of owing me 40 bucks for a new CD or not.

Windows has started.
Would you like to play another game?

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
yeah, sounds to me like yer bro owes ya 40 bucks.
HOWEVER.....
it COULD be your cdrom, but i SERIOUSLY doubt it.
if the door was opening when the cd was spinning, and the drive didnt disengage the cd, and the tray slammed into the cd. but for that to happen, the cdrom would have to be taken apart to get the cd.
sounds to me like your bro might be pissed or something, and used the cd as a brillo pad to scrub the pans from dinner the night before.
or he just mishandled them, and didnt want to tell you. :wink:
happened to me before!

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

Chooco

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2001
well my bro doesn't know the paper clip in the hole to get CD out trick so it couldn't be the opening up before the spin down thing.

the strange thing is that the scratches are in a weird swirling pattern, the best way to describe the swirls is like the orbits of the planets around the sun where some orbits even cross over each other. looks like it could be CD enduced but the scratches are not just small tiny ones. these are like pretty distinguishable just from feeling it with your finger nail (back of it, not the point of it)

Windows has started.
Would you like to play another game?

r2k

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2001
It happened to one of my friends on a brand new Creative infra-52X CDROM drive. He first thought of other culprits but then two freshly recorded CDRs got scratched like a tiny needle had cut circles in them (very faint I should say - I would've never found out such a thing myself until the whole CD had got ruined!). He got another drive of the same type free of charge. The guy told him it had to do with the CD not being read at the proper height (relative to some device inside)...

rbertino

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2001
I had that same type of Creative 52x drive. It scratched the hell out of two of my CD's. Needless to say, it was on its way back to the store the next day and I will never buy a Creative CD-ROM ever again...

TRENDING THREADS