cd-rom trouble.

ike

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2003

I ave a pannasonic toughbook running xp pro sp1. I added a pannasonic
dvd-rom.(plugged into a drive bay not usb)
The problem is...when I open 'my compute'r the dvd-rom icon is there but
when I double click it, the window opens but shows nothing in it. I know
that the cd is good brcause it works on another computer. When I put the
drive in another toughbook, the same trouble occurs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Is the CD a factory supplied CD or is it a CD-R or CD-RW
that you burned?
What does the device manager say about the DVD drive?

What does Panasonic say when you called them?

Perhaps the drive is defective and you need a replacement or
perhaps you have a software problem.

some support

"IKE" <IKE@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
|I ave a pannasonic toughbook running xp pro sp1. I added a
pannasonic
| dvd-rom.(plugged into a drive bay not usb)
| The problem is...when I open 'my compute'r the dvd-rom
icon is there but
| when I double click it, the window opens but shows nothing
in it. I know
| that the cd is good brcause it works on another computer.
When I put the
| drive in another toughbook, the same trouble occurs.
|
| Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ike

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2003

It doesn't matter if it's a cd-r, cd-rw, or dvd...no files can be seen in
windows explorer. In the device manager, it says that the device is working
properly with no conflicts.
Pannasonic told me to put in the recovery disks and start over. Without a
functioning cd drive I can't do that. Besides, if it were a software
trouble, the drive would work on another toughbook, which it doesn't.

| It doesn't matter if it's a cd-r, cd-rw, or dvd...no files
can be seen in
| windows explorer. In the device manager, it says that the
device is working
| properly with no conflicts.
| Pannasonic told me to put in the recovery disks and start
over. Without a
| functioning cd drive I can't do that. Besides, if it were
a software
| trouble, the drive would work on another toughbook, which
it doesn't.

| "Jim Macklin" wrote:
|
| > Is the CD a factory supplied CD or is it a CD-R or CD-RW
| > that you burned?
| > What does the device manager say about the DVD drive?
| >
| > What does Panasonic say when you called them?
| >
| > Perhaps the drive is defective and you need a
replacement or
| > perhaps you have a software problem.
| >

| > --
| > some support
| > http://www.usdoj.gov/olc/secondamendment2.htm
| >

| > "IKE" <IKE@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

| > |I ave a pannasonic toughbook running xp pro sp1. I
added a
| > pannasonic
| > | dvd-rom.(plugged into a drive bay not usb)
| > | The problem is...when I open 'my compute'r the dvd-rom
| > icon is there but
| > | when I double click it, the window opens but shows
nothing
| > in it. I know
| > | that the cd is good brcause it works on another
computer.
| > When I put the
| > | drive in another toughbook, the same trouble occurs.
| > |