CD-RW Backup Problem?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

David

Hi Brian,
The web sight you gave me is excellent. I haven't been able to go over all
of it as yet. I have been installing my downloaded programs into my new D
drive. Now that I have this part done should I think about downloading the
backup programs?
david

"Brian K" <iibntgyea4 REMOVE_THIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> David, an excellent guide to partitioning.
>
> http://partition.radified.com/
>

> Brian

By "installing" I hope you mean moving files to the Data drive. You
shouldn't "install" software to your Data drive.

Brian

"david" <chevie@mail.com> wrote in message
> Hi Brian,
> The web sight you gave me is excellent. I haven't been able to go over
> all of it as yet. I have been installing my downloaded programs into my
> new D drive. Now that I have this part done should I think about
> downloading the backup programs?
> david
>
> "Brian K" <iibntgyea4 REMOVE_THIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> David, an excellent guide to partitioning.
>>
>> http://partition.radified.com/
>>

>> Brian

David

These were the internet downloads for the spyware I had deleted and then
reinstalled to the D drive?

> By "installing" I hope you mean moving files to the Data drive. You
> shouldn't "install" software to your Data drive.
>
> Brian
>

> "david" <chevie@mail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi Brian,
>> The web sight you gave me is excellent. I haven't been able to go over
>> all of it as yet. I have been installing my downloaded programs into my
>> new D drive. Now that I have this part done should I think about
>> downloading the backup programs?
>> david
>>
>> "Brian K" <iibntgyea4 REMOVE_THIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> David, an excellent guide to partitioning.
>>>
>>> http://partition.radified.com/
>>>

>>> Brian

ok

> These were the internet downloads for the spyware I had deleted and then
> reinstalled to the D drive?
> david

David

Hi Brian,
Sorry I took so long to reply but somehow I lost the connection to the
newsgroup and just got it back.
As I understand, I can install any thing I download from the Internet to the
D drive but if I install a program from a CD or DVD I install to the C
drive, is this right?

> ok
>
> "david" <chevie@mail.com> wrote in message
>> These were the internet downloads for the spyware I had deleted and then
>> reinstalled to the D drive?
>> david

Not really. Any file you download goes to the D:\ drive. Then when you
double click on that file to install the program you will be asked about
installing to C:\Program Files\... Accept this. So the program is
actually installed to the C:\ drive. I think we've had a difference in the
understanding of the terms download, move and install.

Installing from a CD also goes to C:\Program Files\...

> Hi Brian,
> Sorry I took so long to reply but somehow I lost the connection to the
> newsgroup and just got it back.
> As I understand, I can install any thing I download from the Internet to
> the D drive but if I install a program from a CD or DVD I install to the C
> drive, is this right?
> david

David

OK I think I understand what you mean. Install the .exe file to the D drive
then when you click it to open, install in the C drive. I think the ones I
have already installed to the D drive are ok because they also installed to
parts of the C drive. With your help I think I am beginning to see the
difference between the two drives.

> Not really. Any file you download goes to the D:\ drive. Then when you
> double click on that file to install the program you will be asked about
> installing to C:\Program Files\... Accept this. So the program is
> actually installed to the C:\ drive. I think we've had a difference in the
> understanding of the terms download, move and install.
>
> Installing from a CD also goes to C:\Program Files\...
>
> Brian
>

> "david" <chevie@mail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi Brian,
>> Sorry I took so long to reply but somehow I lost the connection to the
>> newsgroup and just got it back.
>> As I understand, I can install any thing I download from the Internet to
>> the D drive but if I install a program from a CD or DVD I install to the
>> C drive, is this right?
>> david

You have got it. Download is receiving a file from the internet. Installing
is a Windows process to make the application work. Files may be placed in
numerous areas of the C:\ drive by the install process.

Let me reword your message

"OK I think I understand what you mean. Download the .exe file to the D
drive
> then when you double click it to open, install in the C drive. I think
> the ones I have already downloaded to the D drive are ok because they also
> installed to parts of the C drive. With your help I think I am beginning
> to see the difference between the two drives."

Does that make sense?

> OK I think I understand what you mean. Install the .exe file to the D
> drive then when you click it to open, install in the C drive. I think the
> ones I have already installed to the D drive are ok because they also
> installed to parts of the C drive. With your help I think I am beginning
> to see the difference between the two drives.
> david

David

OK, I now have it. It took some time, we almost ran out of post space, I
stopped getting the flag showing if the post has been open. Now that I have
this part, is there another step to do?

> You have got it. Download is receiving a file from the internet.
> Installing is a Windows process to make the application work. Files may be
> placed in numerous areas of the C:\ drive by the install process.
>
> Let me reword your message
>
> "OK I think I understand what you mean. Download the .exe file to the D
> drive
>> then when you double click it to open, install in the C drive. I think
>> the ones I have already downloaded to the D drive are ok because they
>> also installed to parts of the C drive. With your help I think I am
>> beginning to see the difference between the two drives."
>
> Does that make sense?
>
> Brian
>

> "david" <chevie@mail.com> wrote in message
>> OK I think I understand what you mean. Install the .exe file to the D
>> drive then when you click it to open, install in the C drive. I think
>> the ones I have already installed to the D drive are ok because they also
>> installed to parts of the C drive. With your help I think I am beginning
>> to see the difference between the two drives.
>> david

So now you have My documents folder on the D:\ drive.

Can you work Second Copy?

> OK, I now have it. It took some time, we almost ran out of post space, I
> stopped getting the flag showing if the post has been open. Now that I
> have this part, is there another step to do?
> david

David

Unfortunately when I deleted the programs to move them over to the D drive,
I must of deleted Second Copy also. I will have to download it again, I was
on the 30 day trial.
Should I download to the D drive?

> So now you have My documents folder on the D:\ drive.
>
> Can you work Second Copy?
>

> "david" <chevie@mail.com> wrote in message
>> OK, I now have it. It took some time, we almost ran out of post space,
>> I stopped getting the flag showing if the post has been open. Now that I
>> have this part, is there another step to do?
>> david

Download all files from the internet to the D:\ drive then install to the
usual C:\Program Files. Actually, if you haven't paid for Second Copy yet,
hold your money because you really need a second hard drive to make it
worthwhile. Install the trial and play with it, sending your backup copy to
a folder on the D:\ drive.

> Unfortunately when I deleted the programs to move them over to the D
> drive, I must of deleted Second Copy also. I will have to download it
> again, I was on the 30 day trial.
> Should I download to the D drive?
> david
>

> "Brian K" <iibntgyea4 REMOVE_THIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> So now you have My documents folder on the D:\ drive.
>>
>> Can you work Second Copy?
>>

>> "david" <chevie@mail.com> wrote in message
>>> OK, I now have it. It took some time, we almost ran out of post space,
>>> I stopped getting the flag showing if the post has been open. Now that
>>> I have this part, is there another step to do?
>>> david

David

Hi Brian,
I looked over EZBack-it-up and again it calls for a packet writing software
(DirectCD, InCD, itc.) Unfortunately my "RecordNow" which came with my Dell
computer doesn't qualify. I have to have a software that will format my CD.
But it is a free download and I could try it? What do you think?

> For your interest
>
> http://www.ozcableguy.com/backup.html
>
> http://www.rdcomp.net/ezbackitup/index.php This is free. Not as many
> features as Second Copy, but you may not need scheduling etc.
>

> Brian

David, don't use packet writing software. It's unreliable. I used to have it
but I uninstalled it a long time ago. You can use EZBackitup just to create
backup folders on you hard drive, which can be burnt with regular CD writing
software such as Record Now.

If you really want to try packet writing software against my advice, is your
email address correct?

> Hi Brian,
> I looked over EZBack-it-up and again it calls for a packet writing
> software (DirectCD, InCD, itc.) Unfortunately my "RecordNow" which came
> with my Dell computer doesn't qualify. I have to have a software that
> will format my CD. But it is a free download and I could try it? What do
> you think?
> david
>

> "Brian K" <iibntgyea4 REMOVE_THIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> For your interest
>>
>> http://www.ozcableguy.com/backup.html
>>
>> http://www.rdcomp.net/ezbackitup/index.php This is free. Not as many
>> features as Second Copy, but you may not need scheduling etc.
>>

>> Brian

David

No I really don't care about having packet writing software, it was just
that it seemed all of the backup programs called for it, but if you
uninstalled it then I don't need It. If I don't need Packed software to
backup my folders to CD writing I will download EZBackitup. The price is
right.
david
My email is chevie40@hotmail.com