Jim

I'm using a LiteOn 52x32x52 burner with Pengo brand (from NewEgg)
CD-RW media. Often get warning messages to replace the media after
having done only a few cycles with it. I tend to use them as a
"super-floppy" transferring files back and forth.

Figuring I either got a poor brand or a poor batch. Wondering which
media others find to be reliable? Ideally with LiteOn products if
that matters.

jk

Don't use packet writing software. Use mastering software to write on CDRW
disks. CDR disks are cheap enough so that I don't even bother with CDRW
disks. A flash memory drive is the best thing for tempory storage/temporary
backup of data. CDR and DVD disks are good for long term archival backups.
I suggest that high quality disks be used.

"JK" <JK9821@netscape.net> wrote in message
> Don't use packet writing software. Use mastering software to write on CDRW
> disks. CDR disks are cheap enough so that I don't even bother with CDRW
> disks. A flash memory drive is the best thing for tempory
storage/temporary
> backup of data. CDR and DVD disks are good for long term archival backups.
> I suggest that high quality disks be used.

Good advice. I'd add . . . the only brand of media I've had no problems
with on any brand of burner is Maxell. Haven't tried it on a lite-on
burner, but I'd be surprised if it didn't perform well. -Dave

jk

I like using the Fuji made in Japan CDR disks for important data. I believe
they are made by Taio Yuden? It seems like most of the Maxell, Sony, TDK,
etc. disks available in US retail stores are made in Taiwan. Many or most
of the Taiwanese disks may be made by Ritek.

"Dave C." wrote:

> "JK" <JK9821@netscape.net> wrote in message
> > Don't use packet writing software. Use mastering software to write on CDRW
> > disks. CDR disks are cheap enough so that I don't even bother with CDRW
> > disks. A flash memory drive is the best thing for tempory
> storage/temporary
> > backup of data. CDR and DVD disks are good for long term archival backups.
> > I suggest that high quality disks be used.
> >

> Good advice. I'd add . . . the only brand of media I've had no problems
> with on any brand of burner is Maxell. Haven't tried it on a lite-on
> burner, but I'd be surprised if it didn't perform well. -Dave

jk

The LiteOn CDRW drives are great. They tend not to be fussy about the media
unlike some other brands of drives.

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 16:00:04 -0400, JK <JK9821@netscape.net> wrote:

| I like using the Fuji made in Japan CDR disks for important data. I believe
| they are made by Taio Yuden? It seems like most of the Maxell, Sony, TDK,
| etc. disks available in US retail stores are made in Taiwan. Many or most
| of the Taiwanese disks may be made by Ritek.

Some of them are made by Ricoh, even occasionally when they are sold
as Ritek. Using CD/DVD identifier programs reveals surprising
information sometimes.

I've been very happy with Ricoh blank DVDs.

Larc

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 10:13:45 -0400, "Dave C." <mdupre@sff.net> wrote:

| "JK" <JK9821@netscape.net> wrote in message
| > Don't use packet writing software. Use mastering software to write on CDRW
| > disks. CDR disks are cheap enough so that I don't even bother with CDRW
| > disks. A flash memory drive is the best thing for tempory
| storage/temporary
| > backup of data. CDR and DVD disks are good for long term archival backups.
| > I suggest that high quality disks be used.
| >

| Good advice. I'd add . . . the only brand of media I've had no problems
| with on any brand of burner is Maxell. Haven't tried it on a lite-on
| burner, but I'd be surprised if it didn't perform well. -Dave

I bought 100 Maxell 48x CD-Rs recently. They burn flawlessly at 52x
on my LiteOn. :)

Larc

> I like using the Fuji made in Japan CDR disks for important data. I
believe
> they are made by Taio Yuden? It seems like most of the Maxell, Sony, TDK,
> etc. disks available in US retail stores are made in Taiwan. Many or most
> of the Taiwanese disks may be made by Ritek.

I couldn't say. But whatever you do, do NOT buy Memorex. Might as well try
to burn data on vinyl records. -Dave

Jim

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 21:29:38 GMT, Larc <larc-news@jupiterlink.net>
wrote:

>I bought 100 Maxell 48x CD-Rs recently. They burn flawlessly at 52x
>on my LiteOn. :)
>
>Larc

Hey guys thanks for the many responses. Please note though my
question is about CD-RW media, not CD-R which my LiteOn has no
troubles with.

As I mentioned I use them like a giant floppy. Supposed to have about
1,000 rewrite cycles. I've been lucky to achieve a dozen cycles.

jk

The biggest problem with CDRW media is that most people use it
with packet writing. Packet writing software causes many problems
and should be avoided.

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 09:48:20 -0400, JK <JK9821@netscape.net> wrote:

>The biggest problem with CDRW media is that most people use it
>with packet writing. Packet writing software causes many problems
>and should be avoided.

What other options are there? I thought the only was to use it was
with something like Nero's INCD 4 or the Roxio equivalent.

jk

One can use a CDRW disk with mastering software like Nero or Easy CD
Creator. Don't format the disk, and treat it like a CDR disk until it is full,
and you don't need the data on it anymore. Then you can erase what
is on the disk and start over.

Capman wrote:

> On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 09:48:20 -0400, JK <JK9821@netscape.net> wrote:
>
> >The biggest problem with CDRW media is that most people use it
> >with packet writing. Packet writing software causes many problems
> >and should be avoided.
> >

> What other options are there? I thought the only was to use it was
> with something like Nero's INCD 4 or the Roxio equivalent.

peter

In article <2o0opgF5c8dqU1@uni-berlin.de>, mdupre@sff.net says...

> "JK" <JK9821@netscape.net> wrote in message
> > I like using the Fuji made in Japan CDR disks for important data. I
> believe
> > they are made by Taio Yuden? It seems like most of the Maxell, Sony, TDK,
> > etc. disks available in US retail stores are made in Taiwan. Many or most
> > of the Taiwanese disks may be made by Ritek.
> >

> I couldn't say. But whatever you do, do NOT buy Memorex. Might as well try
> to burn data on vinyl records. -Dave

Are you referring to CD-RW? I've been using Memorex CD-R for a while
now (over a hundred at least), do burning on the fly (disc to disc), and
have never lost a disc yet.
--
Pete Ives
Remove ALL_STRESS before sending me an email

Jim

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 12:05:54 -0400, JK <JK9821@netscape.net> wrote:

>One can use a CDRW disk with mastering software like Nero or Easy CD
>Creator. Don't format the disk, and treat it like a CDR disk until it is full,
>and you don't need the data on it anymore. Then you can erase what
>is on the disk and start over.
>
>Capman wrote:

Well I certainly do use the packet writing feature. Makes progressive
incremental file archiving possible. In the event of a total hard
drive failure hopefully my CD-RW will be up to date.

BTW this works really well with No Hands Backup which I found on the
web.