CD-RW Won't Burn

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
G

It is not a damn firmware problem, if the problem was the firmware, it would have never worked, but first it worked and then stopped recording.

If you had read the entire post, you could have seen that the burner is not in warranty period anymore.

SEARCH FIRST, THEN POST

jvanber

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2001
Yea, whatever Dude. Take it or leave it.

All I'm saying is that I've had similar problems with CDR drives in the past, where it worked fine for months, and then crapped out on me. Updating it from firmware revision F to firmware revision H totally resolved the problem.

Take a hammer to the drive instead of trying a harmless flash for all I care. Personally, I'd be much more inclined to try ALL options before disassembling anything.

If you had a clue as to what needed to be done, you wouldn't be posting a thread here. Its one thing to ask for help, but its another to be an @$$hole to people who offer you VALID suggestions that you HAVEN'T tried.

I offer one more suggestion: go buy a mac because they require little troubleshooting.

Joshua

LordKaos

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2001
The MAC???
ROFLOL!
Tell us another one! That was really good!
ROFLOL!

The MAC is CRAP!!

Better burn in Hell with some company than freeze in Heaven all alone

G

"My computer is on fire!!!!!!!"

"Have you tried getting a new bios version to solve the problem?"

I am not IGNORANT.

If the guy who had the problem solves it updating the firmware, I will link you to a page showing myself wearing a slip, or do you prefer to bet?

I have worked with computers since I was 11 years old. I am not a FUÇKING ID1OT, you can tell me you are a Computer Engineer, but I am pretty sure it is not a firmware issue.

KEP55, if you read this go download the latest firmware at:

<A HREF="http://www.memorexlive.com/support/drivers/FwMx2216_10e.exe" target="_new">http://www.memorexlive.com/support/drivers/FwMx2216_10e.exe</A>

and tell us if your recorder works properly after updating the firmware.

SEARCH FIRST, THEN POST

LordKaos

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2001
Hey guys!

The forum for taking potshots at each other is the Other section!
Not this one!!

jvanber

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2001
I'm not saying you're ignorant; just arrogant.

I'm a computer systems engineer with many industry certifications, and I deal with issues like this every day. ANYTIME you're troubleshooting any device, to suggest disassembly before updating firmware/drivers to the latest revisions is completely folly (or idiotic, to use your words). Maybe you're right, and the next time I come across a Cisco router that is broadcast flooding another router, I'll disassemble it, as opposed to upgrading it to the latest OS (per your recommendation, of course).

Although you're "pretty sure" its not a firmware issue, why would you not suggest someone try flashing the drive? Better yet, since I DID suggest this, why would you say that this is a silly idea? Maybe you are ignorant.

What I can tell you, is this is how I successfully troubleshoot computers for my customers: be thorough, and cover your bases first. I'm sure that as an industrial engineer <grin>, you run into this kind of stuff all the time while doing your time-studies and scheduling maintenance.

As for wearing a slip, please keep your URL's to yourself.

I'm not saying this is THE solution, but I can guarantee you its a hell of a lot safer to try flashing the BIOS BEFORE disassembling the drive. Although a valid possibility, and harmless to try, obviously you don't agree.

Hell, I'm with ya! Take the drive apart first, because our Spanish Industrial Engineer (with extensive commodore64 experience) says so!

You're a true asset to the forums, amigo.

Adios!

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by jvanber on 02/15/01 06:21 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

I am studing the 1st course, so it is still a long time before I am an industrial engineer, I AM IGNORANT, I SAY IT MYSELF, I CAN LEARN A LOT MORE.

I did not suggest flashing the drive because I think it was not a firmware problem, I'll hope we'll find out soon. I don't have anything against flashing things, I flash my bios, my recorder...

Of course I know it is safer than taking apart hardware, anyway.

But you cannot compare a router with a CD recorder, I don't know many things about routers, but I am sure they have no moving parts (apart form a fan to keep them cooler, maybe), so there is no need to remove dust from their insides, a CDROM drive is very likely to have a mechanical problem, as it has a lense which has to be clean, a lense which moves along rails, a tray...

I am the first one who knows that when somebody says "My computer is broken, I need a new one", it is probably a problem with their software.

ALL RIGHT, I FORGOT TO RECOMMEND FLASHING A DAMN NEW FIRMWARE, I AM VERY SORRY FOR THIS.

Please don't discredit me in the forums, so far I think I have not given anyone bad advice (if you can prove it do it, I will admit my failures).

SEARCH FIRST, THEN POST

jvanber

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2001
Juanmi,

No sweat, and no hard feelings. I just felt you jumped all over me after I took time out of my day to offer what I thought was valid input to a technical problem. I was just defending my posts, which directly reflects my technical ability.

Regarding troubleshooting, you use the same steps whether you're working on a $70K SGI box, a router, a server, or a 486. Your end result is always to solve problems efficiently without creating more.

And you're right, it probably isn't an issue with the firmware, but it COULD be, because firmware directly affects the functioning of the hardware. I just see it as a good cautious step before disassembling the drive. Personally, I don't think anyone who disassembles a CDR will ever be able to get it back together, let alone fix it. :) The real solution here is to probably go out and purchase those new Ricoh 12X/10X/32X/8X CDRW/DVD drives (I LOVE mine.)

I won't discredit you in the forums, as long as you don't discredit me first. :p

Joshua

kep55

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Well gang, thanks for all your help. I had flashed the EPROM in the CDRW (and boy, was she ever pissed!!). No go. I opened the box and blew. Aside from only getting her madder, it didn't solve the problem. After numerous hunts, pokes, and tries, I found out it's a function of the bleeding software. Yup! It seems the software was puking the buffer, therefore causing buffer-underuns. Had the same problem with a Philips 8x4x32. Solution: Whack every program on my 128 MB, 700 MHz PC except the burner and burn as SLOW as possible. Even that's no guarantee of success. You'd think they'd have solved the buffer problem by now.

kep55

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Well, I found an answer to my problem. it's the lousy damned media I bought from CompUSA. Stick with good, namebrand media, like Imation, Fuji, or Memorex. I tried an experiment where I burned a playlist using a basic Imation data cd of 700 mb. It burned flawlessly. I tried to burn the same playlist with a CompUSA audio cd and my burned puked out with a fatal error. I'm now a beleiver in you get what you pay for. And those CompUSA audio cd-r are too much even if they pay ME to use them.

G

AYeeeeeaaaaaaaaaayeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.

IT WAS JUST A DAMN MEDIA PROBLEM???!!!!

SEARCH FIRST, THEN POST

kep55

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Now, now, children y amigo. Anyway, I tried to do another test. It's not the CD media after all, althought the CompUSA disks puke out at 1 speed. I tried an Imation at 8 speed, create from disk image, Adaptec EZCD 4.02. Two tracks and puke out. Buffer underrun. I guess I'll stay at two speed (unless someone can get my harddrives to allow disconnect.)

G

My friend is having a similar problem with his CD-RW... it's a Sony CD-RW CRX145E and recently he gets buffer underruns if he tries to burn at any speed greater than 4x... it's a 10x/4x/32x so CD-RWs aren't a problem, but it sucks not being able to burn CDs at 10x, or at least 8x like his CD-Rs are rated... I tried one of my 12x rated CDs on it and it wouldn't even pass the test run at anything better than 4x. It used to work fine, anybody got any ideas on that one?

LordKaos

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2001
The lens might be dirty !

Use a CD lens cleaner to clean it and try again, then tell us if it worked or not!