CD Writer Probs help please

Killerkris

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Basically my problem is this. I have a samsung CD-Writer/DVD combo drive, version SM-304B. Not when i run nero i get the following errors:
The writer gets detected as a 2X Writer (rather than a 4X), it will write any CD at 2X. When i try to write at 4X (if Nero detects it as a 4X) then it gives me errrors such as SCSI/IDE error and could not complete fixation process. Anyway i think this is a hardware error but i am curious as to what all you guys think before i return it. So any opinions/simliar problems are welcome.

Thanks in advance
Chris

Please dont hurt me.....please

Qacer

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I got the same problem with my CD-writers, both Yamaha and Imation drives. I'm not 100% sure on this, but I think my problem was partly caused by the actual media. I changed CDR brands and has yet to see the problem again.. I do get quite a lot of SCSI/IDE error followed by "invalid writestate medium" and "could not perform end track" messages on my Yamaha, but I think this is more hardware related. I'm still trying to find a solution to this problem.

--sign here--
"I used Thevenin to simplify my motherboard's circuits."
--by me--

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Make sure you have burner on a separate channel from your hard drive. It sounds like a conflict to me. I have my combo drive as a master on second channel. It never fails to get detected correctly though I do have some buffer underrun problems that I think are software related. Good luck.

Killerkris

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
it was on a seperate channel. in the end it turned out that the writer was at fault. some part of it was broken as i tried it on another computer with an identical working model and it would not write properly then

never mind
KK

Please dont hurt me.....please