CDR Media

G

I tried to burn a CD at 12x on my new burner the other day using an old 4x disc, and of course got a failure. Now from what I know about CD roms it doesn't make any sense to me why there would be special media required to write at higher speeds. So if anyone knows the inner workings of CD Burners and the theory behind this please post, I would like to know how it works, and why we need the media.

G

OK. I'm not pretty sure but I think I know the basics.

The burner uses a laser to "print" the cdr. It heats the surface of the cdr layer and the layer changes its physical state and thus reflects more or less light.

The layer needs to be hot for a very small time to change its physical state, for example, if a 4x cdr needs 0.00001 seconds to change one bit, and when you burn it with 12x speed it only is heated for 0.0000033 seconds, then it will not completely change its state and therefore it will be very difficult or impossible to read it.

Hope you understand this...

G

Bingo!

choose a slower burn speed

***Hey I run Intel... but let's get real***

G

From what I understand CDRs are different from normal CDs in that normal CDs have actual pits that reflect the light differently, wher as CDRs have a die that is changed to reflect the light. That being said what process would they use to make the die take longer to change? Seems like it would be more expensive to make different types of CDRs vs one type. Unless they simply come up with better processes to make them and then don't make the onld ones any more.

G

I think the die of 12X CDR disk is more expensive. Better use burning software that can identify CDR disk, and better not change the detected burning speed.