CDROM problem + General Config prob.

G

Can I get some advice/info/solution for this problem please.

I am having problems with my CDROM. It can read from a CD if the game/program is already installed, but I cannot successfully install anything new from CD and keep getting "missing .exe" errors. This is the chain of events:

1. Had a new LG CDROM installed. Tested it on a friend's system and it was fine. Brought it home and connected to my system and it froze at the Windows 98 screen.

2. C+A+D to restart, and given option "Computer did not complete the startup...would you like to boot up in safe mode?" Which I did, but it got to the himem.sys boot and was unable to continue.

3. Repeat step 2. Froze.

4. Opened up box and discovered that some RAM was not sitting firmly in it's slot. Removed RAM.

5. C+A+D to restart. Given same safe mode option. Chose to do a "Safe mode with confirms" to avoid himem.sys problem.

6. Went through individual confirms and said 'n' to himem.sys, but am not sure what other options I said y/n to. But I am pretty sure himem.sys is the only one I said 'n' to. Boots up in safe mode.

7. Had a look at SETUP. I don't recall changing anything except the "Restore Defaults" option.

8. Restart. Boots up OK, but comes up with error "Atapi Boot from CD: Boot CD not exist".

9. Went into SETUP. Changed the Boot sequence from "CDROM; A; C" to "C;CDROM;A". "Boot CD..." error message gone.

10. CD not recognised in Device Manager. Message in CPanel/Performance": "Drive E: is running in MS-DOS file compatability mode". Drive E: is the CDROM.

That's pretty much it, though I am not sure as to the exact sequence of the first 4/5 events.

Please help. System details:

P3-450
ASUS M/B
Win98
Riva TNT2 32MB
64MB RAM
Creative AWE64
LG 52x CDROM

* Buddha tweaked my bassline. Phat zen! *

svol

Champion
First check your IDE cable, and if the jumpers on the CDROM are in good position.
Is the drive on the primairy or secondary IDE port, and what other things have you connected to it?

My case has so many fans that it hovers above the ground :eek: .