CDRW track reading is slow and hanging

eden

Champion
Ever since I had my LG 16*10*40 I have been experiencing read problems compared to my old LG 4*4*32.
Many times the drive doesn't go on spinning during games and track changes in them and that causes it to delay games or hang them for a few seconds before it decides to start spinning again, meaning they will jam the screen and everything where the CDRW is there relaxing until it decides that it should spin back causing true annoying wait and loss of in-game concentration. In games where there is streaming music, it hangs until it spins, in others the loading is waiting in a blank screen where everything is waiting for the CDRW to decide to spin again. Isn't there some option to make it continue spinning rather than give up??
This truly annoys me not to mention I am not experienced in tweaking inside the firmware or anything like BIOS. My old 4*4*32 was so damn reliable because it would continue spinning during track changes in games and the stutter was not noticeable at all so I can play comfortably. This one seems not to cache anything or be able to and WinXP has no options for better transfer.

--
The other day I heard an explosion from the other side of town.... It was a 486 booting up...

Spdy_Gonzales

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2001
I don't know how to solve the problem, but if you have room in your computer for both drives, it would be a temporary solution.

"If it weren't for the last minute, alot of things wouldn't get done"

eden

Champion
Anybody?
Where else can I get support here other than LG itself?

--
The other day I heard an explosion from the other side of town.... It was a 486 booting up...

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
Perhaps increase or decrease the cache size in the file system settings in my computer properties ?, or enable \ disable dma in device manager|cdroms ?

lagger

<b><font color=blue>Checking under my north AND south bridges for trolls</font color=blue>

eden

Champion
Ya know this was my thought too!
Problem is that WinXP has NONE of these.
Otherwise in Device Manager in IDE Controllers, you can't "enable" DMA just like that. It's an option between "Dma if available" and PIO Only.
It is written using "Multi-Word DMA mode 2".
I was also thinking cache since a CD ROM needs to take in advance data to keep spinning in sync, unfortunatly WinXP doesn't offer that!
Any insight?

--

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
nutz no I haven't enough experience with XP yet .. maybe someone of the early adopters has a clue ?? hope so..

lagger

<b><font color=blue>Checking under my north AND south bridges for trolls</font color=blue>

edwpang

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2001
Of course, you can set DMA on or off on XP by setting to "DMA if avaiable" or "PIO mode" unless your CD-RW doesn't support DMA mode. As for cache setting, XP enable caching for CD-RW be default and manages it dynamically. But if you want to set the cache size, you need to find registy keys for that.

eden

Champion
Sadly I had done the PIO and DMA settings with no positive change...

--