CDs and DVDs not recognised

paul89895

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2009
I recently upgraded to Windows 10 and have just discovered that my CD-DVD drive does not recognise any CDs or DVDs. I realise that it is possible that the drive has suddenly failed but upon further investigation feel that this might not be the case.

1. I have a ASUS DRW-24F1ST which is on the Microsoft Verified Hardware Compatibilty list for Windows 10.

2. The driver that is installed is from Microsoft dated 6/21/2006 version 10.0.10586.0 and digitally signed by "Microsft Windows". When I try to update the driver it says that I have the latest version. And when I uninstall the device and reboot, the system puts back exactly the same driver.

3. In Hardware Manager the device shows up with one of those warning yellow triangles containg "!" and in the Device Status box of the general tab of the properties it says:

"Windows cannot verify the digital signature for the drivers required for this device. A recent hardware or software change might have installed a file that is signed incorrectly or damaged, or that might be malicious software from an unknown source. (Code 52)"

Code 52, according top the web, is exactly that message.

4. I have looked this up on the internet and it suggests going to the manufacturers website for a new driver, but Asus has nothing for this model, in fact the original accompanying CD did not contain any drivers, just a link to their website to update firmware - this process also indicates there are no updates of any kind for this model.

5. I have tried booting into safe mode but that gets me nothing, does not even suggest the drive is a CD-DVD Rom.

6. This drive worked perfectly under Windows 7, in fact I used it to upgrade to Windows 10 a mere 8 weeks ago, and I have not even tried using the drive since until this week.

Does anyone have any brilliant ideas, or even simple ideas in case I have overlooked something.

Thanks in advance

Paul

Solution
Further to the above problem, I installed the latest drivers for my Asus MB, but it made no difference.

Next I was just about to buy another drive as a last resort when I found the following solution on Microsoft's website, pertaining to just about the same problem but with Windows 8:

Click on the Start --> Run, type "regedit" and click the OK
Expand the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE key (looks like a folder) by double clicking it (or clicking the "+" next to it.)
Expand the SYSTEM Key
Expand the CurrentControlSet Key
Expand the Control Key
Expand the Class Key
Please look for a key containing the following string of letter and numbers:
4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318
High light this key by left clicking once on it
On the right hand side...

Colif

Win 11 Master
You are not the only one with this problem with this model: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/f01750c5-df97-41aa-b408-a7835ad9e701/dvd-not-found?forum=win10itprohardware

I am skeptical about this driver: http://semantic.gs/asus_drw_24f1st_a_ata_device_driver_download as the actual Asus web site for DVD device has no such driver listed so yeah.. I wouldn't try this.

MY solution would be to contact Asus as if its advertised to work with Win 10 it should have newer drivers than 2006.

One other solution that may not work is a fresh install of Win 10. You may have really old drivers on pc left over from your win 7 install and its possible the win 10 installer would have newer drives. Fresh installs can make pc better too. True, you would need to use USB to install it since the dvd currently doesn't work..

curious, does DVD drive show in bios?

paul89895

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2009

Colif

Thanks for your reply. I was aware that many people are suffering in Win10 with this unit and also otherDVD units.

I will contact Asus asap to see what they have to say and I do agree about that other site with drivers, semantic.gs - I can't find very much aboout them that gives me any feeling of confidence, even though there is little specifically said against them.

As for the drive appearing in the Bios, I have not looked but surely it would since it does appear in my Device Manager?

Anyway thanks again,

Paul

paul89895

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2009

I have contacted Asus as you suggested They were unable to come up with anything, having me go through steps I had tried before. But they did create a case number so I can follow up with them.

paul89895

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2009
Further to the above problem, I installed the latest drivers for my Asus MB, but it made no difference.

Next I was just about to buy another drive as a last resort when I found the following solution on Microsoft's website, pertaining to just about the same problem but with Windows 8:

Expand the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE key (looks like a folder) by double clicking it (or clicking the "+" next to it.)
Expand the SYSTEM Key
Expand the Control Key
Expand the Class Key
On the right hand side you are looking for UpperFilters and LowerFilters under the Name column, once you find these please delete them by right clicking on them and choosing "delete"
Exit the registry and restart the computer.
About the issue" Your CD drive or DVD drive is missing or is not recognized by Windows or other programs", please refer to the KB314060 from Microsoft and have a test.

I tried this and it completely fixed the problem.

Make sure you back up your registry before trying this. And there is somewhere within that posting a reference to Itunes not working after applying this fix, but as of this writing it appeared to be working for me.

The whole posting can be found at:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-hardware/asus-dvd-drive-not-working/c5e00327-f640-4c28-b4c4-f35f9f28ee3e?auth=1

SOLVED

Reactions: Dawny69
Solution

Brabazonbw

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2015
Hope this helps someone in what is an old thread.
I had the same issues, Win 10 updates then the dvd drive wasn't being recognised despite it being visible in Device Manager. Tried all the fixes, reg edit etc but nothing worked. Out of desperation , I opened the case and disconnected the dvd drive. Used the PC a few times then reconnected the DVD, booted up and hey presto! It's back.

Apr 14, 2019

Expand the SYSTEM Key
Expand the Control Key
Expand the Class Key
On the right hand side you are looking for UpperFilters and LowerFilters under the Name column, once you find these please delete them by right clicking on them and choosing "delete"
Exit the registry and restart the computer.
About the issue" Your CD drive or DVD drive is missing or is not recognized by Windows or other programs", please refer to the KB314060 from Microsoft and have a test.

I tried this and it completely fixed the problem.

Make sure you back up your registry before trying this. And there is somewhere within that posting a reference to Itunes not working after applying this fix, but as of this writing it appeared to be working for me.

The whole posting can be found at:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...g/c5e00327-f640-4c28-b4c4-f35f9f28ee3e?auth=1

SOLVED
Worked perfectly thanks so much :p(y)