CeBIT 2011: AMD Demos Llano Behind Closed Doors

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Actually I always do multitasking like this:
- surf internet with mozilla, with many tabs
- play movie on windows
- encode video in background

but even with my sempron single core, I can do it all of that lol

haplo602

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2007
what would interest me more is platform coverage. currently we know quite a lot about the APUs but the chipset/socket/platform is still waiting to happen ?

fshaharyar

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2008
I have a Core2 Duo E8400 System with nvidia GT 240. So I do lot of Video Conversion after downloading BR Videos or HD video from Net. so to do the conversion I use Xilisoft HD Converter and convert them to divx format. The system is not able to handle to tasks at once.

Multi Task
2 Batch Conversion from HD to Divx and MKV format at the same time.
while watching 720p or 1080i Movie.
That will surely give a good

G

how about this for a more real multi-tasking scenario:
- a browser with lots of tabs open in the background (some running flash player)
- a torrent client that is transferring sothing like 10mb/s
- an anti-virus scan that just started
- windows update installing
- all while playing a game
- you just heard the sound saying your download is completed and want to switch apps using Flip 3D.
This could happen, it would probably put a lot of stress on storage devices, but lets just say there is a ssd as a system and application drive and a normal (external?) hdd for data storage.

G

My workload on my Asus G60 laptop (upgraded to 8GB RAM, otherwise stock with latest drivers). Software is latest available unless otherwise stated.

Firefox 4.0 - 10+ tabs (examples: youtube, newegg, TH, /., gmail, google docs)
World of Warcraft - sometimes two instances
or Starcraft 2, but only one instance of this and never with 2xWoW
- 1366x768 - 2AA, Visual settings set to "Good", Vertical Sync Enabled
Curse Client with update checks every 4 hours
Steam Client
iTunes (iphone sync, sometimes stream music from network
GPU-z (temp monitoring purposes while gaming!!!)
VLC (sometimes)
Fraps (Ad-Hoc recording needs)
VirtualDub - Re-encode the Fraps videos, and runs in place of WoW.
Windows Security Essentials
Ventrilo (Volume Normalization FX and Overlay enabled)
World of Warcraft Model Viewer (sometimes)
Razer Naga Drivers
Logitech G15 keyboard utility

Windows Visual Effects are set to "Let Windows Choose" except when Vent is running because of the overlay "workaround" for nVidia video chip sets.

There are really only two times I notice the slowness; 1) When I switch from something TO WoW. WoW lags for a few seconds then goes back to 60fps. 2) Fraps is recording. I know, i know... Well Duh!

Thanks!

weaselsmasher

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2011
My own usage pattern which I would love to see benchmarked as a "real world" scenario:

1. Browser open with active Flash content (YouTube, Flash-heavy websites, etc.)
2. Your 3D game of choice running windowed, slightly lower resolution than the desktop (i.e. game @ 1650x900 windowed, desktop at 1920x1200).
3. iTunes playing music
4. Anti-virus and anti-spyware active
5. Aero desktop

Those are the five heavy-lifters I tend to have going at once. Note: windowing the game tends to increase strain on the system even at reduced resolution; you will get lower framerates in the above scenario (1650 window on a 1920 desktop) than running 1920 full-screen.

HPrometheus

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
I talked to an AMD rep about all this stuff, he ran the same demo for me. Another thing that is really important to keep in mind that isn't really touched on here, is at the end of the demo with the two computers the intel machine had reverted to a Windows 95 like state, taking a very long time to then close the programs and tie up the memory loose ends. But, the AMD processor did this very quickly and smoothly. In opening the programs however, Intel launched the programs at a little faster speed.

I wonder if both systems had SSD's in them.

Status
Not open for further replies.