MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Chipsets 915 and above as well as 3rd party chipsets (NF4) should support Cedar Mill. Cedar Mill is just a new core, not a new architecture. There isn't much change from Prescott, other than the obvious.

PS: If you're thinking of getting it, don't.

~~Mad Mod Mike, pimpin' the world 1 rig at a time

ak47is1337

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
Chipsets 915 and above as well as 3rd party chipsets (NF4) should support Cedar Mill. Cedar Mill is just a new core, not a new architecture. There isn't much change from Prescott, other than the obvious.

PS: If you're thinking of getting it, don't.

Don't need the newer Intel chipsets for the 65nm dual cores though?
And why not get it? These will overclock like a bat out of hell...

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
No, according to several sites (Xbit, Anand, Intel, etc.) you don't. And big woop, it overclocks, stop the press! As I said before, overclocking potential doesn't negate power potential. Just because you can have a 5GHz Cedar Mill doesn't mean it will beat a 3GHz A64. And if it does, you're still gonna heat up your house and burn the chip in the process. It's not worth it over an A64, and from your sig, you already at a 2.8 Venice, how much more freakin' power do you need? Don't be a damn fool and waste money.

ak47is1337

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
No, according to several sites (Xbit, Anand, Intel, etc.) you don't. And big woop, it overclocks, stop the press! As I said before, overclocking potential doesn't negate power potential. Just because you can have a 5GHz Cedar Mill doesn't mean it will beat a 3GHz A64. And if it does, you're still gonna heat up your house and burn the chip in the process. It's not worth it over an A64, and from your sig, you already at a 2.8 Venice, how much more freakin' power do you need? Don't be a damn fool and waste money.

Judging from my sig you'll also see I could sell my current set up for the 450 or so needed to redo it parts of it on Intel. I'm sick of DFI bullcrap, and there aren't many other mobo's that support the massive memory voltage I need =(
Also, I'm rather open minded, and I am a fan of hyperthreading. I highly doubt a 5ghz Intel would lose to a 3ghz amd in any real benchmark. Heat will not be a problem, as I have a very powerful aftermarket cooler and am seriously considering building a phase changer. Also, please send me some info from review websites if you are intent upon changing my mind towards a 148 or just keeping the damn Ultra-D.

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
I'm not intent upon anything nor do I give a damn what you do. I don't care what little Benchmark Ben tells you, Real World Ralph can take Benchmark Ben anyday. While you're "building a phase change", build yourself an igloo too, you're gonna need it to cool your CPU and your ego.

ak47is1337

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
I'm not intent upon anything nor do I give a damn what you do. I don't care what little Benchmark Ben tells you, Real World Ralph can take Benchmark Ben anyday. While you're "building a phase change", build yourself an igloo too, you're gonna need it to cool your CPU and your ego.

You are a tool if you think you need an extremely powerful cooler to cool an Intel, that is absolute bullcrap.

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006

You are a tool if you think you need an extremely powerful cooler to cool an Intel, that is absolute bullcrap.

You're the second person here to call me a tool, must be that I'm good because I keep being used to fix things that stupid people do, hmm. But I do believe that you said the statement of the year: "if you think you need an extremely powerful cooler to cool an Intel, that is absolute bullcrap". Wow sir, you are an ignorant little man, I envy you.

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Ya, I don't understand. I don't understand how Cedar Mill is a SINGLE CORE processor and he wants a Dual Core...Hmm... You're brilliant!

/me still wonders why ak47 hasn't concluded Igloos don't cool things down...hmm...

ak47is1337

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006

You're the second person here to call me a tool, must be that I'm good because I keep being used to fix things that stupid people do, hmm. But I do believe that you said the statement of the year: "if you think you need an extremely powerful cooler to cool an Intel, that is absolute bullcrap". Wow sir, you are an ignorant little man, I envy you.

Just because you aren't using the stock cooler doesn't mean you need something ultra powerful; even at that, you typically do not need to modify the cooler provided you aren't overclocking and have decent case flow. Also, Intel's have a higher heat tolerance than AMD's, and it's not like there isn't a single hot Intel chip that isn't totally stable or a hot AMD chip or a Pentium M that doesn't run cool. I am the second and certainly not the last to call you a tool because you are an ignorant fanboy whose posts are absolutely biased and foolish.

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Wow, Tool and Fool, such cool words to be used by such a cool person, dang you're awesome! It doesn't really matter if an Intel CPU can "tolerate more heat" (not that something not living can "tolerate" anything) because an AMD CPU (even at a nice 3GHz) will not get above 50c Full Load (even on stock cooling). And I keep tellin' you Intel dudes, I aint no AMD fanboy. Just because it smells like a duck, tastes like a duck, and looks like a duck, doesn't mean it can't be a T-Rex.

ak47is1337

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
You dont understand, he wants to try a dual core.
He should stay away from the opterons, they would be too much for him.

No, when I said the "65nm dual cores" I was inferring that some chipsets could potentially care about the move from 90nm to 65nm dual cores, as they may care as much about the move from 90nm to 65nm single cores. BTW, how the hell are you going to tell me the Opterons are too much for me? I personally own a 165...
Which, ran quite hot. Sorry to break your moment...

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006
It'll overclock well, but still won't beat most AMDs overclocked like that. The only Intel 65nm I'd want is their 955EE. Now that chip can overclock, and it's dual core!
I wouldn't bother getting the Cedar Mill, but hey if you're really interested then that's your business.

endyen

Splendid
Ya, I don't understand. I don't understand how Cedar Mill is a SINGLE CORE processor and he wants a Dual Core...Hmm... You're brilliant!
Yea, thanks, I guess when I responded to his comment
Don't need the newer Intel chipsets for the 65nm dual cores though?
I didn't take into account that all chipsets that officially support cedar mill also support Presler.

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Right, as all my posts that inform 10, 20, 30+ people of true information isn't helpful....hmm....interesting.

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Right, as all my posts that inform 10, 20, 30+ people of true information isn't helpful....hmm....interesting.

Fanboy posts don't count.

Neither do posts by somebody who's a moron.

ak47is1337

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006

Fanboy posts don't count.

Neither do posts by somebody who's a moron.

Exactly why I didn't count yours.

luminaris

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005