Cel Prescott

DCB_AU

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2002
OK, you have a Cel Prescott 2.4Ghz 256 cashe S478, OC to 3019Mhz.

What would it be equivalent too in speed as a general rule,-

1) AMD,
2) P4 Northwood 512 cashe,
3) P4 Prescott with 1 M cashe,

Thanks,

<font color=red>DCB</font color=red><font color=white>_</font color=white><font color=blue>AU</font color=blue>

peteroy

Distinguished
BANNED
Jun 14, 2004
I say Pentium 4 Willamette 2Ghz

You can't just say AMD, AMD has more than one processor last time I checked, if you ask which AMD, then I say around Athlon XP 2100+

==================================
<A HREF="http://www.clancas.net" target="_new">clan CHAOS</A>
<A HREF="http://www.daynighthosting.com" target="_new">DayNightHosting.com</A>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I thought the Prescott Celerons were the "Celeron D" with 512k cache!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

DCB_AU

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2002
No, the Bios reports 256.(2.4D 256 cashe {S478} on CPU sticker/box also).

Intel doubled the cashe from 128 to 256.

<font color=red>DCB</font color=red><font color=white>_</font color=white><font color=blue>AU</font color=blue>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I thought they doubled the cache from 128k to 256k when they went from the Williamette core to the Northwood core!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
No, Willamette and Northwood Celerons are exactly same. But Northwood Celeron overclocked much better, since it was made with 130nm process.

------------
<font color=orange><b><A HREF="http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox" target="_new">Rediscover the web</A></b></font color=orange>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
And here I was thinking the Celeron used 1/2 the cache of it's Pentium counterpart!

Xeon

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2004
A AXP 3000+ on par with a P4C 2.8 not entirely true they should be close more favor goes to the 2.8, as well P4A's also were not Prescott's you mean J, there is probably more letters for the cores, but its been a while since I cared or looked.

On a side note to reiterate what crashman said; I am also certain that Prescott Celerons have 512L2, I also recall them being very comparative with the Semptron line which is in line with the AXP line last I checked.

Xeon

<font color=red>Post created with being a dickhead in mind.</font color=red>
<font color=white>For all emotional and slanderous statements contact THG for all law suits.</font color=white>

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
Prescott Celerons have 256 L2 cache and 533 MHz FSB. They're very competitive with AXP based Semprons, because AMD reduced clock/PR again with Sempron series.

------------
<font color=orange><b><A HREF="http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox" target="_new">Rediscover the web</A></b></font color=orange>

Vapor

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
If I were to hazard a guess. I would say:
Amd- about xp3000+, not quite up to A64 level
P4b- almost 3.06
P4c- about 2.8
P4a (prescott) 2.8
I'd drop all those down a notch or so.

Think about it this way: the 3.06b has a higher clock, twice the cache (and faster cache), a shorter pipeline, but a somewhat slower bus. So maybe the 2.8b. The 2.8a (Scotty) is about the same, so that stays the same. As for the P4c, probably a 2.6 and also a 2.6e if there were such a thing. Since the AXPs did match fairly well to the P4b's, that would knock that down to the 2800+ as well. That über-slow 256k L2 is REALLY hampering it.

Maxtor disgraces the six letters that make Matrox.

Xeon

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2004
Oh ok thx for the info, I don't keep up as much with the new hardware deal, programming has begun to take up all my time.

Xeon

<font color=red>Post created with being a dickhead in mind.</font color=red>
<font color=white>For all emotional and slanderous statements contact THG for all law suits.</font color=white>

endyen

Splendid
When I say almost, and about, I do mean not quite as good, but that that would be the closest actual chip.
Dont forget how little the P4s actually gained from the increase in cache from 256 to 512, or how much they gained from the increased bandwidth of the 200/800 fsb chips. He is running that thing @ 166/666 fsb, so he is getting 25% more bandwidth than the P4b chips.

For xeon, the P4a 2.8 is a prescott with an fsb of 133/533.