The_YongGrand

Distinguished
May 3, 2007
Hey boys,

I recently found some new Pentium Dual-Core (E2140 and E2160) in my stores, along with the Celeron 4xx (without the D). Now, I know the Pentium Dual-Core or the C2D or any kind of X2 will kill the Celerons, but since it's cheap, I can have it in my bedroom PC or my HTPC or whatever comes first.

So some questions,

1.) Is it actually equipped with the Speedstep? I heard that they have, but I couldn't confirm this.

2.) Also, will a Celeron 420 outperform a single-core P4 531 Prescott with a Netburst architecture?

3.) If the Cores are magnificient, are they any reviews of Celerons 4xx in Tomshardware? I couldn't find any of it, so just want your ideas and opinions.

Thank you very much. :)

p.s: Please don't tell me to get a dual-core - this is a single-core question. I'm building it for the office pc too, so need your ideas.

joefriday

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
No speedstep.....It's a Celeron, afterall. :wink:

The 420 will pretty much be the performance equivalent of a P4 530.

If you want a review, look at the article done by Xbitlabs.com.

jackluo923

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2007
Yep the celeron L Conroe core based and Pentium E2140 and E2160 are out. Pentium D vs overclocked Celeron L, they'll have roughly the same performance because celeron L can do 3.0ghz+ without a problem. Since C2D system is almost 90% more efficient than netburst system processors.

No, Celeron doesn't have enhanced speedstep just like always. EG. Netburst pentium 4 does, but Celeron D doesn't. The 2.0ghz Celeron L roughly equals 3.6ghz Pentium 4 processors' performance. There isn't any reviews on Toms. Unlike a year ago, Tomshardwareguide just sucks right now! Why would computer site have Car reviews?
If you want a celeron L review, check out anandtech.com or xbitlabs.com Those sites are great. The CeleronL 4xx's review were published on xbitlabs few month ago.

My opinion is that these processors are great. I'm buying it if i can find one since i spent Q6600 budget on something else. It's a great deal if you can overclock it. I think it's great choice for office PC because its TPD is only 35W and it's pretty fast for very cheap price. The advantage of having these chip is that you can turn the stock heatsink to minimum RPM and still keep the processor's temperature down thus a very very quiet office.

epsilon84

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2006
Well, it appears Celeron 4xx aka Conroe-L is even slightly faster than an A64 FX (single core) clock for clock! And in accordance with the Conroe name, overclocks like a mofo too. ;)

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=148382

The only negative thing about these CPUs are not the CPUs themselves, but the fact they are priced so close to an X2 3600+. Sure, clock for clock they are the fastest single core CPUs around, but assuming these sell for ~$50, an X2 3600+ is only ~$10 more!

I guess these could be 'fun' chips to try to overclock the crap out of and not worry about blowing up an expensive CPU, or be used as a 'stepping stone' for someone waiting to upgrade to a more powerful C2D/C2Q but cannot afford the chips now.

Other than that, I really don't see how these can compete agains the uber priced X2 3600+, unless the Cellys come priced at $30 or $40, but even then, personally I'd rather pay the extra $20 or $30 to get a more responsive dual core system, even if it means sacrificing a little in single threaded performance.

jackluo923

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2007
Well... You could get Pentium E2160 processor for only 15$ more too i think... It overclocks better than X2 3600 and performs better than 3600 clock for clock.

The_YongGrand

Distinguished
May 3, 2007
Yep the celeron L Conroe core based and Pentium E2140 and E2160 are out. Pentium D vs overclocked Celeron L, they'll have roughly the same performance because celeron L can do 3.0ghz+ without a problem. Since C2D system is almost 90% more efficient than netburst system processors.

No, Celeron doesn't have enhanced speedstep just like always. EG. Netburst pentium 4 does, but Celeron D doesn't. The 2.0ghz Celeron L roughly equals 3.6ghz Pentium 4 processors' performance. There isn't any reviews on Toms. Unlike a year ago, Tomshardwareguide just sucks right now! Why would computer site have Car reviews?
If you want a celeron L review, check out anandtech.com or xbitlabs.com Those sites are great. The CeleronL 4xx's review were published on xbitlabs few month ago.

My opinion is that these processors are great. I'm buying it if i can find one since i spent Q6600 budget on something else. It's a great deal if you can overclock it. I think it's great choice for office PC because its TPD is only 35W and it's pretty fast for very cheap price. The advantage of having these chip is that you can turn the stock heatsink to minimum RPM and still keep the processor's temperature down thus a very very quiet office.

I found a review from a user who bought a Celeron 420 and he apparently found Speedstep kicking in. Strange, but if they happen to have it, it's a pretty bonus. If not, never mind since it's just 35 Watts anyway.

Too bad the Celeron D 420 costs at least something like those X2 3600+. If they can push the prices down, I say these could be killer processors.

Initially I wanted to choose a Pentium Dual-Core, but I don't need two since that machine is designed for internet and some assignments only. And something that wouldn't heat up my bedroom.

Also, I know I could get an X2 3600+, but (again) too bad I have already two sticks of 512MB DDR400, Asus P5PE-VM board and a 6200 Geforce. I wanted to recycle all of them to minimize my costs.

If the 420 can almost go head to head with the 530/531, so could a new Core architecture surpass the HT as well? :)