Celeron 800 / PIII 800

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
as I said earlier, set the voltage settings on the board to default, and let the slotket take control.

there is no interference for core voltage settings since this voltage is never seen outside the processor. on the outside is the I/O voltage which is still 2.6~3.3V which easily works with the motherboard. for a motherboard, its still appears to be a slot1 processor!

girish

<font color=red>No system is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>

G

so if i am overclocking from 700 to 933
i guess setting the voltage on the slotket around 1.8 V will do?
is the voltage on slotket is the VCORE voltage?but i read that maximum VCORE voltage to be set is +0.3 V nothing more than that or else it's dangerous?

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
yes the P3 datasheets say so! actually these are absolute ratings. It does not mean the processor will die as soon as you apply Vcore + 0.13V to it. In fact at times it might be actually useful especially when overclocking that you are about to! But still it <i>is</i> dangerous!

Higher voltage means higher current, higher power consumption and higher heat generation reaching dangerous levels. Get a good cooler for both the processor and the chipset.

girish

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
just checked the P2B manual. if you have a newer rev board, you can set the FSB to 113 MHz, but thats a direct jump from 112! And the PCI clock could either be 33.6 or 43.3, they havent specified it exactly what it would be or how it would be.

In any case you could overclock it to 112 MHz thats closer to 114 I mentioned earlier for CLK/3 PCI speed.

girish

G

well if it's 40 mhz and above, it will be dangerous to my hard disk right?wut is the default voltage for PIII 700?if it's 1.65 V then +0.3 V is around 1.9V...so it's still safe i guess but Crashman said he witnessed 2.0 and above and it's still safe. I need to cool my chipset too?is it the intel 440BX chispet?

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
well, overclockers do run it a 2 or more volts, but then you need a pretty good cooler to cool it down. You wont be needing that much, 1.8V is probably enough. It does however reduce the life of the processor.

I just checked out the PIIX4 Southbridge specs, the min value for PCI clock period is given to be 30 nS, that is 33.3 MHz frequency! The IDE specs dont clearly mention about any specific ratings, but usually its okay to overclock to about 10~15% and that comes to ~38 MHz. Higher than that has to be checked out by actually doing it. That is why I asked you to use a spare hard disk for experimenting with faster PCI settings. At other times you could use the regular hard disk and regular parameters to work on.

The chipset on the P2B is the Intel 440BX or specifically the 82443BX chip just in front of the processor. Its power consumption is just 1.0 W, but overclocking it will increase it so a chipset cooler might come in handy. The IDE and other stuff is handled by the PIIX4 Southbridge - the 82371EB chip sitting near the PCI slots, it doesnt need any cooling though.

girish

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Like I said in that other thread, if you're concerned about doing things the official way instead of the tweakers way, I'll sell you an Asus CUSL2. In fact I'll trade it for your P2B plus $15 for my effort, plus $5 shipping. The Asus CUSL2 has 4x AGP and it's i815 chipset was designed for use with a 133MHz FSB, plus all the settings are available in BIOS so you can't screw up with jumpers (unless you choose to use jumpers instead of BIOS). It has everything you want for your adventure.

Back to you Tom...

G

this post will help a total newbie with no experience of overclocking hahahhaa...

G

another question here which is VERy different from the rest.
if i oc from 700@933, how about the thermal compound.
must i buy ARtic Silver, use the one provided by Intel or the cooler's thermal compound?

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
in fact, i found the intel stuff too much. i got better results when i wiped the compound off! a couple of degrees cooler!!

maybe it was a fluke, but you could remove some from the intel heatsinks. but if you are overclocking go for a better cooler.

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
Updating the bios will, depending on the flash, manufacturer, and other such things...

1. Enable features in hardware that are software driven (the Asus K7V had a bios update than enabled ATA100)
2. Increase stability by corecting any bios related issues.
3. Add functionality to the bios.
4. Allow the Computer to recognize newer processors correctly.

There are other things, but these are the 4 I can think of off the top of my head.

Chesnuts roasting on an open CPU
Bill Gates nipping at your wallet

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
Are there any other slot adapters that allow you to regulate voltage? I can't find the one you are talking about, and they seem to be a fleeting item.

BTW, someone was asking me if the PIII Slot 1 would work. It unfortunately did not, as my motherboard did not detect it as a CPU.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I believe Abit, Iwill, Asus, and MSI make versions that will alter detected voltage. All are hard to find. Most of these companies also make models that don't, so you have to be selective.

Now, as to why a Slot 1 PEE THREE might not have been bootable:

It may not have been inserted all the way.

It may have overheated during boot if it didn't have a heatsink

You need the latest BIOS to support Copermine processor's microcode, you must install that using an earlier processor.

Your computer may have refused to boot because it detected a voltage below what it could provide. If you had been using an adjustable Slotket settup you could have simply raised the detected voltage.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
It was inserter properly, it's the retail version, so the fan was on it already, and to my knowledge, it had the most up to date bios. I will check again. It could be the voltage problem. I tried booting it up without a CPU, and it did the same thing. Keyboards lights flashed, and no video.

I found a bunch on E-bay, and the Asus version still seems to be available if you search hard. Thanks for the input.

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
Definately not the bios, so it must be a voltage problem.

So, that leaves me with this...

Is it worth upgrading the processor on my P2B Motherboard?
I currently have a

PII 300 and 100 FSB
384 MB PC133 Ram
Riva TNT

On the system, I'm running Windows 2k, and was planing on using it to route internet, perhaps e-mail, and other stuff when I get my high speed connection. No games or anything. Should I even bother to upgrade the system? If I do, what can I do for about $150 tops? Should I go the PIII route? Or drop the MB and go the Athlon route?

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
No clue, it was one of the first ones out though. How would I check that? I've got the box around here somewhere.

$30 for the Board, interesting, but that still doesn't answer my question as to weather I should upgrade. At the moment, I'm thinking that it's not worth it till I actualy move. Might be nice to save up the money though.

G

u put a PIII slot 1 on the P2B?Might as well get an adapter/slotket with onboard voltage control and put a PIII COPPERMInE on it but you have to flash your BIOS in order for it to be recognized properly. To check the revision, when you POST, look at the line of text just below the logo of AWARD..it will say REV 10XX, check urs..

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
Bios is flashed with revision 1012. I'll try to get an adapter, and maybe wait for the CPU price to fall for a bit. The adapters are getting harder and harder to come by.

jclw

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
FYI:

I run dual PIII-800E cB0 SECC2 chips in a P2B-D at 112FSB.

A P2B rev 1.02->1.11+ (I think 1.11 was the last revision) will support both 100/133 FSB chips but you MUST use a slocket. Recommended voltage is 1.80 for both cB0 and cC0 steppings, I am unsure about cD0 steppings but 1.75 would probably work.

- JW

G

but running a PIII slot 1 should be possible with REV 1012 right?