Celeron 800 / PIII 800

G

Currently I have Asus P2B motherboard which states that it supports Pentium II and Celeron. I found the market sells Slot 1 Pentium III but will my motherboard be able to support it. Another question here, let's say I want to get a Celeron 800 or PIII 800 socket 370 of course I have to get the Slotkets to use either of the processors on Slot 1 but the problem is whether my motherboard supports Celeron 800 or PIII 800?Asus P2B can have 100 Mhz bus speed and if I get the Coppermine Celeron 800 Mhz which is 100 Mhz as FSB, does my mobo support it?If my mobo supports both the processors, i still don't know whether it can have the voltage lower than 2.0 the old celeron because the new celeron uses 1.5 i think..anyone please help..thanks a lot..

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
I have an Asus P2B, and read the manual carefully. The updated manual says that it can support PIIIs too. I should have mine by the middle of next week (the PIII), so I'll let you know.

Also, you can run the FSB at 133 on that MB with no overclocking of the PCI/AGP bus.

On the slot1 adapter, I'm not sure if that will work. The P2B autosenses the needs of the core for voltage, and that might not work correctly with an adapter. You can get a Retail Box PIII 800EB (Coppermine 133 FSB) at www.googlegear.com for close to 120, so you get the fan and the warenty too.

The max settings on the P2B is an FSB of 133/33, and a multiplier of 8x

60 FPS, 70 FPS, 80 FPS Crash!
Daylight comes and I have to go to work :frown:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The PIII 800E will work. In fact it will outperform the Celeron 800 by at least 20%.
More significant is the fact that your motherboard also supports 133MHz FSB. A different version of the PIII 800, the 800EB, has a 133MHz FSB and will outperform the Celeron 800 by at least 30%, as long as you have the necessary PC133 SDRAM.
I would get the PIII 700 and overclock it to 933. I would also use the FC-PGA version on an Abit Slotket III, and cool it with an Evercool ND-8 cooler. The slotket III is only $8.99 at <A HREF="http://www.googlegear.com" target="_new">http://www.googlegear.com</A> put part number 707603 in the search box at that site. The Evercool ND-8 is available at <A HREF="http://www.nexfan.com" target="_new">http://www.nexfan.com</A>. The PIII 700E FC-PGA is avialable at many venders for under $100, and when overclocked to 933 will beet all other options within $30 of it's price for you motherboard.

Back to you Tom...

G

alright Crashman, you are VERY SURE they will work on my mobo right?how bout the voltage ?because P2B tends to detect the voltage required but the SlotKet can be used to set the voltage by using jumpers am i right?
so which one should i follow and must i update my BIOS?
i check my manual and it says Rev 1.03

caater

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2001
With P2B rev1.03, slot1 CuMine is out for you. Only choice is fcpga+slotket. Slotket has to support coppermines (all current ones do) and you must be able set voltage manually with jumpers. Also, p3-700e is great choice because its ability to reach 933Mhz. But remember - some of vidcards don't like "old" 133Mhz fsb (BX does not have 1/2 AGP divider), so you must first check if your vidcard likes 88Mhz AGP.

G

of course i am not planning to use Slot 1 CuMine..
i am planning to use the fcpga + slotket..
i am changing my video card to either geforce 2 mx 400 64 mb OR gts 32mb so does it accept the 88 mhz?
and oh yeah how bout PCI cards liek sound card and my hard disk...will them be affected as well?

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
The P2B 133 FSB setting runs the PCI bus at 33 acording to the manual.

And yes, updating your bios is a good thing.

G

alright if the combination works.. how bout the voltages?
my mobo detects the voltage needed and will send the voltage detected
and also the slotket has the jumpers to set voltage..
so what should i do?and it's not a must to update my BIOS to make the combination works right?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I would update the BIOS first. The Slotket I recommended will alter the detected voltage. I would set the voltage at 1.80v, because some older motherboards can't go any lower. You can try it at the proper 1.65v or 1.70v, it might work at that voltage, but if not, 1.80v should be fine. Also the 1.80v setting will allow you to gain a little stability for overclocking.

Back to you Tom...

G

let's say i buy a celeron 800, do i still need to update my BIOS?settting it to 1.80 V will not kill my processor or mobo?

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
Higher voltage won't cause a problem if you have proper cooling. Just monitor the temp and make sure it's fine.

As far as updating the Bios, I would do it anyway. The P2B bios is easy to flash.

G

what if I don't?will it still recognize that celeron 800 or the PIII 700?
or will it cause any problem?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I've had the PIII Coppermine at up to 2.6v without damage. One thing to remember is that a Celeron II IS a PIII coppermine with modified cache (half of it's disabled, the other half works slower). the make Celerons from PII's with defective cache. So either way you'll want the BIOs update. The processor will be recognised for it's multiplier, 7x for the PIII 700E, 8x for the Celeron II 800. This muliplier is built into the chip, so that onboard multiplier changes have no effect. Overclocking is handled by changing the bus speed, which is why the 700E is such a good deal, it goes to 933 quite easily by changing the bus speed to 133MHz.
I have not heard of anyone burning one of these out at anything less than 2v. They have built in thermal protection that turns the processor off if it reaches a dangerously high temp. The cooler I recommended will do the job very well and has a low enough height to avoid conflict with other parts.

Back to you Tom...

G

alright thanks a lot..but another question here..
when i install the PIII 700 or celeron 800 into a slotket, set to 1.8 V and put into slot 1, how about the jumpers onboard?of course the FSB matters but the multiplier doesnt matter?so changing it to 3.0 ..
will the celeron 800 / PIII 700 run at their own speed?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
In weird circumstances (Abit's "speed error hold") you will get a message telling you it's the wrong multiplier, in which case you would either set it to 7x/8x or turn off "speed error hold". But I've never seen anything like that on any other board (including Asus).

Back to you Tom...

G

oh thanks a lot.. so it is still better to change the multiplier jumper on board first.

G

so before i slot in the Slotket with processor on it and voltage adjusted, if i am going to get a 100 Mhz processor so i have to update my BIOS only right?

G

hahhaha i have no money to buy a new mobo haha..
i am going to upgrade anyway using the same mobo but changing processor..

G

Crashman or anyone!another question over here
If I get Celeron 1.0 ghz, can it be installed on my P2B motherboard with a FCPGA slotket?I thought of this because since the multiplier is locked, the maximum multiplier on P2B is 8 and it will not change the celeron 1.0 ghz multiplier.. only matter here is FSB.. will any problem appear if i do like that?

G

my decision is to get a PIII 700 and overclock it to 933 Mhz.. i realise taht for its price i can get a lot better perfomance than the rest of the processors.
any additional cooling needed and also i just check my mobo VCORE Voltage it is 2.0 V.if i adjust the voltage on the FCPGA slotket 1.8V, it wont interfere with the 2.0 or it will follow?