[SOLVED] Celeron, Atom or A4 for chromebook?

Mar 24, 2020
My 7th grader needs a chromebook to finish out the school year and the school isn't providing one for him since he's not in high school. Rather than having him do paperwork packets, I'm looking to buy him a chromebook, hopefully for $200 or less, but it needs to be decent. I recently bought myself a cheap lenovo ideapad with celeron N4000 and 4gb ram, and it works ok most of the time, but sometimes the screen blacks out when an autoplay pop up video plays and I have to shut it down to get it going again. Would this cpu work better for a Chromebook? Do I need a better celeron, or would an Atom or A4 cpu be better? thanks in advance for any info!

Solution
Buying a Chromebook is like buying a piece of useless plastic
A Celeron N4000 is meh on a budget laptop but I recommend looking on the refurbished market
Here are a few suggestions
HP EliteBook 840 G2 but with an SSD as a normal hard drive in laptops are very slow.
Dell Latitude E7000 series with i5 or i7
Or if he doesn't mind a heavy laptop HP Elitebook folio 9480M is a good laptop

Or if you can't find those I recommend a laptop with at least these specs

2 cores/4 threads processor with at least 2.8ghz
Any SSD
4gb of ram
Windows 10 I can't stress enough that Windows 7 or Chrome OS is not the way to go

Guest610077

Commendable
Dec 15, 2019
A Celeron N4000 is meh on a budget laptop but I recommend looking on the refurbished market
HP EliteBook 840 G2 but with an SSD as a normal hard drive in laptops are very slow.

Any SSD
4gb of ram
Windows 10 I can't stress enough that Windows 7 or Chrome OS is not the way to go

Solution

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador

I used to think so - but having gotten a used one (admittedly, for free, but with some minor issues), I find it to be remarkably convenient for certain tasks that I might need to do, quick lookups, etc., where I don't want to go into the other room to boot up my PC (I don't have laptops), and that's too awkward on my phone.

Also, the schools make very widespread use of them, so, obviously, quite useful for specific tasks.

Don't be dismissive of them. OP (and the schools, obviously) has a specific use-case in mind.

EDIT: Unfortunately, other than my relatively recent use of an outdated model, I can't really contribute to the discussion of buying a new one.

Sep 4, 2020

Any SSD
4gb of ram
I have bought 3 Chrome OS computers and I've been very happy with them. I've recommended them to friends and family and they have been happy too. When I buy a Chromebook I like at least a 15 inch screen, a multi-core processor. Most Chromebooks run fine on 4GB of RAM but if you can get more at a reasonable price, go for it.

Reactions: King_V