System specs:

Celeron G1840 with stock cooler and Arctic Silver thermal paste
AsRock H81M-HDS R2.0
4 GB DDR3
Samsung 64 GB SSD
Seagate Constellation 2TB 7200 RPM HDD
Silverstone ML04B Case
EVGA 600 Watt 80+ Bronze PSU

I bought a G1840 for the cpu of my HTPC build. I am running it with the stock cooler from Intel.

When I booted up, the cpu core temperatures were in the mid 30's. When I started copying several files and browsing the internet, the temperatures stayed around 40° Celsius.

This seems rather hot for not much of a load on the cpu. I was expecting temperatures in the upper 20's to low 30's when not under much load. I have never used a stock heat sink in a build so don't know what to expect.

Is 40° Celsius good for this cpu? Should I get an aftermarket low profile CPU cooler?(If so, suggestions?) I'd like to keep my HTPC as cool as possible.

Thanks!

Solution
40c is great. Your CPU is validated to work up to and does not throttle until 100c, and shuts down to prevent damage is at 130c. There would be absolutely no benefit to cooling it further - it would perform the same, last the same amount of time.
40c is great. Your CPU is validated to work up to and does not throttle until 100c, and shuts down to prevent damage is at 130c. There would be absolutely no benefit to cooling it further - it would perform the same, last the same amount of time.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS