Celeron Hyper-Threadind

c0d1f1ed

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2003
I'm a student and I like Celerons because they are cheap. But when are they going to support Hyper-Threading? I program a lot and I would like to optimize for HT and SSE2. Although they have a slow FSB and less cache, they still have the same processing power for the stuff I do. Any chance there will be new HT Celerons when Prescott is released?

YYZ_Slayer

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2003
There will not be hyper-threading on celerons. Its is not constucted into there core.

Anyone who clames they can tell the difference between 450 and 500 FPS in Quake 3 should be severly beaten in the head with a rock. :eek:

rcj187

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2002
anybody that says they can tell the difference between 150fps and 400fps needs to be beat in the head..
oh and no there wont be any hyperthreading celerons

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
still have the same processing power for the stuff I do
Seeing as Celerons get completly creamed in everything, I'm curious as to what it is you're actually wanting to use it for - what app is there that runs on a celeron at the same speed as on a P4 of the same speed?

---
The end is nigh.. (For this post at least) :smile:

sargeduck

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2002
There will not be hyper-threading on celerons. Its is not constucted into there core.
Actually, celerons are Pentiums that didn't quite make the final grade. On a Pentiums chip, the cache takes up most of the transistors on the chip. The possibility of some of these transistors not working right, or malfunctioning at the factory is pretty high. Instead of throwing out these perfectly fine chips, with only some cache not working, Intel takes these chips, lowers the fsb, disables any extra instructions, and sells em as celerons.
However, celerons are currently based off the Pentium 4b chip, which does not have hyperthreading in them. When celerons move to the "c" core, then they will have hyperthreading in them, it'll just be disabled from the factory.

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
However, celerons are currently based off the Pentium 4b chip, which does not have hyperthreading in them.
Are you sure? I thought that the Celerons were still based off of the Willamette core, not the Northwood core. (And especially not the NW-B core.)

<pre><b><font color=red>*** BattleTech - The Crescent Hawks Inception ***</b>
Pilot twenty-ton behemoth robots to save your planet from a
Kuritian invasion force. Now available on the C=64!</font color=red></pre><p>

eden

Champion
Well, they are 0.13m versions, but they have no personal core name, it's indeed a Wilamette.

--
<A HREF="http://www.lochel.com/THGC/album.html" target="_new"><font color=green><b>A sexual experience like never before seen</font color=green></b></A>
Site has now even more sexy members, for your pleasure.

c0d1f1ed

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2003
Seeing as Celerons get completly creamed in everything, I'm curious as to what it is you're actually wanting to use it for - what app is there that runs on a celeron at the same speed as on a P4 of the same speed?
Math intensive stuff. Things that are generally not limited by memory bandwidth. That's the only thing the Celeron is handicapped in. Cache also isn't of much importance if you write assembly code like I do when you are aware of it.

And please don't start a discussion about game performance. I don't care.

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Ach!

I can't believe that my memory is failing that badly. Now that I think about it I do remember reading about 0.13 micron Celerons. It was good for a laugh because they're based on the Northwood core instead of the Willamette core, yet they're still staying at 128KB cache and 4x100MHz FSB.

It's kind of sad, really. I mean now having a quarter of the cache of a P4 instead of half of the cache...

I wonder... When Scotty comes out will Intel <i>still</i> leave the Celeron with only 128KB of L2? I bet so. I hope so. Heh heh heh.

<pre><b><font color=red>*** BattleTech - The Crescent Hawks Inception ***</b>
Pilot twenty-ton behemoth robots to save your planet from a
Kuritian invasion force. Now available on the C=64!</font color=red></pre><p>