Celeron M reaching 100C on boot

Daquirtle

Commendable
Aug 6, 2017
I was given an old laptop in the hopes that I could refurbish it and use it for general tasks on Windows 7.
It has a Celeron M 530, 2GB DDR2 RAM and an SiS Graphics chip.
I changed the thermal paste (which had turned to stone) by removing it with isopropyl alcohol, and re-applying a tiny bit (enough to cover the CPU die) of Arctic MX-4.
I then continued to install Windows, and about a minute into the installation, the laptop shut down as if it had been unplugged (it has no battery). At first I thought it was a power supply problem but after opening the laptop a few minutes later to find the CPU almost too hot to touch - and this was a few minutes later.

I can only assume it has reached its limit at 100 degrees Celsius and shut itself down.

I have ordered a compatible Core 2 Duo as an upgrade and will update on my results using that.

Any answers are appreciated.
Thanks

Daquirtle

Commendable
Aug 6, 2017

Thanks a lot for replying.
Your solution would seem sensible but I don't think its much to do with the fan. It has (along with the heatsink) has little dust, and seems to be working normally. This is why I assumed that it was a CPU or motherboard socket problem.

The laptop was obviously designed for a celeron, so I dont know why it would struggle to cool one.

Again, I'll post my results using a core 2 duo.

Daquirtle

Commendable
Aug 6, 2017
The core 2 duo arrived today and I began to install it. Upon removing the cooler, I noticed that the copper heat pipe had almost completely snapped in two. I am assuming this is the problem, as it was not noticeable but a small tug saw it snapped totally in half. Thanks for the response.

I found a new cooler on eBay so it looks like cwli1_'s answer may be sensible to anyone with the same problem.