celeron vs pentium

nikolacar4

Prominent
May 11, 2017
Celerons are really slow processing units,they are made for home use. They cant game at all... Maybe something really light. Pentium on the other side,there are chips for home use but there are good pentium chips for gaming like pentium g4560... If u are going to game dont buy celeron,the pentium (at least the newer ones) will most likely destroy the celerons in gaming.

GraySenshi

Reputable
Apr 15, 2016
What about oc wise I have a z170 laying around and lots of random coolers I used on different gaming builds my main system I use is running off of a x99 so I'm not really to aware on the low end side. Iv seen posts that you can and that you can't oc on celeron or pentium. Like one thing iv here is you can oc a pentium to near i3

Well the differences are that Celerons have a little less cache and are clocked a bit lower. Those are usually the only differences except sometimes you might get a special edition Pentium that is unlocked or has hyperthreading. The Pentium G4560 has hyperthreading and is locked and clocked at 3.5GHz. It is a 4 threaded processor and has 3MB of cache. The Celeron is locked and clocked at 3.0GHz or less and has only 2MB of cache and it is a 2 threaded processor. The price difference from the Celeron G3950 to the Pentium G4560 is only $12. For the extra money you get Core i3 level performance and it is very much worth the extra few dollars. The Pentium G4560 is the best dual core processor for the money that is currently on the market. You won't save much by going with a Celeron unless you find an old and/or used one. Celerons just aren't worth it in my opinion when there is a much better Pentium for only a little more cash. With the Pentium you're looking at possibly up to close to 50% more performance depending on the application.

nikolacar4

Prominent
May 11, 2017
Im not really into intel,my main rig is an amd,but i think that celerons cant be oc'ed,and pentiums i think you can but not that much,the only pentium that could go crazy high with overclocking was g3258. If u are looking for a home pc,not gaming u will be fine with celeron,but i'd still reccomend the pentium,since it gives u a lot more horsepower than the celeron.

GraySenshi

Reputable
Apr 15, 2016
To me it looks like proformance isn't really all that much better and performance per dollar seems to be less for the pentium then the celeron. I was looking at different cinebench scores and it seemd to me it wasn't worth the extra price what's funny tho is my a8 3850 I use as a home media pc seems to beat out celeron and is in that neck to neck with pentium. Do to it's 4/4 vs 2/2. Am I missing something here or not