Celeron who?

Sihs

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I wasn't that much informed during the ages of the pentium and celeron so I was wondering if any technically savvy person would answer me a few questions.
1-I once took out a celeron, the one that had no L2 cache. I know it was a slot but was it a (slot 1)?
2-If someone tells you he has a celeron 400 or 433MHz, would that be a slot 1 ? Can he put any kind of pentium 3 in there?
3-I know you have to unlock the multiplier of the T-Birds and Durons before overclocking, do you have to do something similar to the celeron to overclock it?
4-What is the difference between the PPGA (Plastic Pin Grid Array), FC-PGA (Flip Chip) and CPGA (Ceramic)?
5-When a guy asked about a good celeron for overclocking, some people rolled out some very technical terms and I lost track, what is the difference between the different steppings?
6-Does the first Pentium 3 (the 450MHz one with 100FSB) use socket 370? Can someone with that particular processor use a new coppermine pentium 3? Can you put any kind of celeron instead of that processor?

Thank you in advance.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
1-Slot 1
2-Either slot 1 or socket 370
3-No, you can't unlock the multipliers, you must increase the bus speed intead.
4-PPGA is the original socket 370 processor, FC-PGA is the new Coppermine processor, and is not always backward compatable with older boards do to voltage differences. CPGA would have to be AMD's socket A (462), because AMD uses a ceramic pin grid intead of plastic.
5-cBO is 1.65v, cCO is 1.70v core voltage.
6-The first PIII was a 450 and Slot 1. It was a Katmia design processor that is compatble with all Slot 1 100MHz bus boards. A Slot 1 Celeron will also work.

Suicide is painless...........

G

1 yes
2 true but no PIII eb support (but depends on mb)
3 all you can do is raise the fsb
4 ppga and fc-pga had a few pins swapped. some slockets let you use both after changing some jumpers.
cpga is all 386, 486, 586 (pentium), k5, k6, ppro, and socket a. (note the k6 was the first "flip-chip")
5 dunno
6 the first PIII was a 450 but it was little more than a PII 450 with sse. also most socket 370 chips that run on a 66 or 100 mhz fsb will work with the correct slocket. (might need one that will let you set a lower core voltage)

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by boxcarwillie on 01/20/01 00:17 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

5. The cB0 stepping is marked only 1.5V (not 1.65) -At least the one I have in my computer.

Henrik

-The Dane In Spain-
cel600@945

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
cBO is 1.65v for the PIII, I know, I have one. Intel might have specified a lower setting for the Celeron. In that case, isn't it nice to know that it was actually designed for 1.65v? Intel probably lowered the voltage for the Celeron to save power because at the reduced speed the extra voltage was not necessary.

Suicide is painless...........

TRENDING THREADS