Robert

I am using Windows XP Pro SP2. When I try to view videos at this site I get
the following message: "Windows Media Player cannot play the file because the
specified protocol is not supported. If you typed a URL in the Open URL
dialog box, try using a different transport protocol (for example, "http:" or
"rtsp:")."

I have tried following some FAQs at Microsoft but mostly they have left me
scratching my head. I am using Media Player 10 with latest updates. Any ideas?

rehan

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2004

Those videos seem to be using "mms://" protocol to stram media. It seems
your system is not redirecting that protocol to be handled by its default
browser?

Have you installed some other browser or media player which would have over
ridden this setting?

--
Rehan
MS MVP -- Digital Media

"Robert" <Robert@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am using Windows XP Pro SP2. When I try to view videos at this site I get
> the following message: "Windows Media Player cannot play the file because
> the
> specified protocol is not supported. If you typed a URL in the Open URL
> dialog box, try using a different transport protocol (for example, "http:"
> or
> "rtsp:")."
>
> I have tried following some FAQs at Microsoft but mostly they have left me
> scratching my head. I am using Media Player 10 with latest updates. Any
> ideas?

Does the mms protocol use different ports that might be blocked by a
firewall, etc.?

"Rehan" <someone@somewhere.com> wrote in message
> Those videos seem to be using "mms://" protocol to stram media. It seems
> your system is not redirecting that protocol to be handled by its default
> browser?
>
> Have you installed some other browser or media player which would have
over
> ridden this setting?
>
> --
> Rehan
> MS MVP -- Digital Media
> www.rehanfx.org - get transitions and effects for Windows Movie Maker
>

> "Robert" <Robert@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am using Windows XP Pro SP2. When I try to view videos at this site I
get
> > the following message: "Windows Media Player cannot play the file
because
> > the
> > specified protocol is not supported. If you typed a URL in the Open URL
> > dialog box, try using a different transport protocol (for example,
"http:"
> > or
> > "rtsp:")."
> >
> > I have tried following some FAQs at Microsoft but mostly they have left
me
> > scratching my head. I am using Media Player 10 with latest updates. Any
> > ideas?

rehan

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2004

> Does the mms protocol use different ports that might be blocked by a
> firewall, etc.?

This would be easy to check. Diable the firewall TEMPORARILY and try. make
sure you activate it abck again.