Cell Phone Subscribers Surpasses 6 Billion on Earth

Status
Not open for further replies.

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
In reality it is much lower than 86 out of 100 people because these figures do not account for all the people walking around with multiple cell phones.

My company makes it policy for everyone to have a company issued iPhone and there are also a lot of people with company issued blackberries as well.

I am sure there are many corporate users with 2-3 cell phones.

jankeke

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2011
[citation][nom]cknobman[/nom]In reality it is much lower than 86 out of 100 people because these figures do not account for all the people walking around with multiple cell phones.My company makes it policy for everyone to have a company issued iPhone and there are also a lot of people with company issued blackberries as well. I am sure there are many corporate users with 2-3 cell phones.[/citation]
It says in the article : "approximately 86 out of 100 people own at least one cell phone"

It seems they took account of those using multiple cellphones. I think they where not just counting the activated cellhpones.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
im kind of dissapointed in this. Im all for progress and more people having better tech, but Im not in favor of the fact that billions of highschool/middleschool kids are going to school with smartphones(flip phones still exist, but to be honest kids wouldnt really dare to take a flip phone to school today). Im in college, and have been in college ever since the tabletphone craze began a few years ago, and the sheer amount of people I see walking around glued to the phones on campus and in class is ridiculous. I dont know if highschool is as bad as in my college where half the students have the phones on the desk during class connected to FB, but if its anything like that I really stand against kids having smartphones.

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
[citation][nom]jankeke[/nom]It says in the article : "approximately 86 out of 100 people own at least one cell phone"It seems they took account of those using multiple cellphones. I think they where not just counting the activated cellhpones.[/citation]

Please re-read the article I think you may have misunderstood.

whiteodian

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
This can't be right. I am inclined to agree with the guy who said they must be counting people with multiple phones. Either that or they took a survey of 100 people and they didn't have a very good pool of people to choose from. I've never been to Africa, Asia, or India, but I'm willing to bet there are quite a few impoverished people in those countries that owning a cell phone is just not on their priority list.

Antimatter79

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
Maybe instead of a survey (I hate surveys) they could have polled all of the known major and some minor cellular service providers and asked how many customers they serve. AT&T and Verizon certainly don't have any reservations about boasting about the volume of their user base.

jankeke

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2011
[citation][nom]cknobman[/nom]Please re-read the article I think you may have misunderstood.[/citation]
I re-read it and I am quite sure they are talking about individuals (or subscrtibers) owning one or more cell phones.

I wouldn't be too surprised if the number of activated cell phones surpasses the number of people on earth. Because, as you say, there are a lot of people having 2 or more cell phones.

It would also interresting to know the total number of cell phones sold in history since the very first one. It must be a staggering number !

Status
Not open for further replies.